• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

International 'Cerberus' Heatwave Threatens to Break Records in Southern Europe

When you guys post stuff like this, it's not the win you think it is - all it does is show how completely ignorant you are on the subject.

What is the consensus on how much sea level has risen in that time period? Do you think you would be able to see that amount in those pictures?

This is a common theme from the science denier types - you don't believe in something if it's not obvious through a 10 second visual observation.

When you guys post stuff like this, it's not the win you think it is - all it does is show how completely ignorant you are on the subject.

What is the consensus on how much sea level has risen in that time period? Do you think you would be able to see that amount in those pictures?

This is a common theme from the science denier types - you don't believe in something if it's not obvious through a 10 second visual observation.
go ahead and post the evidence DP, all of 0.00001% of mankind's ability to observe the forever changing climate. Then correlate that to mankind's contribution to that change I will wait. Climate change always happens, that is not denying science DP.

My posting of some making fun of that alarmist is not telling of my position on the matter, but of course you don't know that DP>

Delhi orders schools to close early for holidays as temperatures hit 47.4C​

Authorities cut short school term as weather bureau warns of severe heatwave conditions this week

Authorities in the Indian capital, have ordered schools to shut early for the summer holiday, after temperatures in Delhi hit 47.4C (117F).

City officials told schools to shut with “immediate effect” due to the blistering heat, according to a government order quoted by the Hindustan Times on Tuesday, cutting the term by a few days.

India’s weather bureau has warned of “severe heatwave conditions” this week, reaching a peak of 47.4C in Delhi’s Najafgarh suburb on Monday – the hottest temperature countrywide.

Authorities in other states – including Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab and Rajasthan – have also ordered schools to close, India Today reported.

India is used to searing summer temperatures, but years of scientific research have found the climate crisis is causing heatwaves to become longer, more frequent and more intense.

The Indian Meteorological Department warned of the impact of the heat on health, especially for infants, elderly people and those with chronic diseases.

In May 2022, parts of Delhi hit 49.2C (120.5F), Indian media reported at the time.

The next round of voting in India’s six-week-long election takes place on Saturday, including in Delhi. Turnout has dipped, with analysts suggesting the hotter-than-average weather is a factor – as well as the widespread expectation that the prime minister, Narendra Modi, will easily win a third term.

India’s election commission has formed a taskforce to review the impact of heatwaves and humidity before each round of voting.

At the same time, India’s southern states including Tamil Nadu and Kerala have been lashed by heavy rains over the past few days.

Severe storms hit other parts of the country last week, including the financial capital, Mumbai, where strong winds flattened a billboard that killed 16 people and left dozens more trapped.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/a...-orders-schools-to-close-early-heatwave-india

go ahead and post the evidence DP, all of 0.00001% of mankind's ability to observe the forever changing climate. Then correlate that to mankind's contribution to that change I will wait. Climate change always happens, that is not denying science DP.

My posting of some making fun of that alarmist is not telling of my position on the matter, but of course you don't know that DP>

Climate change doesn't always happen. The last 1000 years or so for example, the earths average temperature stayed fairly consistent, fluctuating in between a pretty narrow band - it's only in the last 100 or so years that the earths temperature has gone outside that band.

The evidence has been posted in these threads hundreds of times by a variety of posters. If I actually took the time to detail some evidence, are you going to actually attempt to learn something or just look dismiss it without actually trying to understand it with an open mind? What would it take for you to admit you're wrong here?

Climate change doesn't always happen. The last 1000 years or so for example, the earths average temperature stayed fairly consistent, fluctuating in between a pretty narrow band - it's only in the last 100 or so years that the earths temperature has gone outside that band.

The evidence has been posted in these threads hundreds of times by a variety of posters. If I actually took the time to detail some evidence, are you going to actually attempt to learn something or just look dismiss it without actually trying to understand it with an open mind? What would it take for you to admit you're wrong here?
If it looks like legitimate information sure I will look at it with an open mind of course. The issue for a lot of it is, the science and agreement are ever changing and since it highly politicalizes it gets distorted and hard to tell data is getting manipulated and what isn't.

My bigger issue is the solutions and fixes, I don't think a lot of them are viable. Also, the hypocritic views, all these people flying private jets to a climate change summit, to lecture the public about their consumption of resources. One private jet pollutes more than I will all year.

A scorching heat wave kills 14 in India ahead of a final round of election voting on Saturday​

BY INDRAJIT SINGH
Updated 11:50 AM BRT, May 31, 2024

PATNA, India (AP) — A blistering heat wave has killed at least 14 people, including 10 election officials, in eastern India with temperatures soaring up to 49.9 degrees Celsius (122 degrees Fahrenheit) in parts of the country this week, officials said Friday.

The weeklong heat wave has forced schools to close at several places and raised the risk of heatstroke for outdoor laborers.
A statement by the Bihar state government said 14 people have died in the state, including five in Bhojpur and three in Rohtas districts, with day temperatures rising to 44 Celsius (111 Fahrenheit).

The heat wave came as hundreds of millions of Indians have been voting in a 6-week long general election, increasing health risks as they waited in long lines to cast their ballots. The seventh and final round of voting will be held on Saturday.
The counting of votes will take place on June 4.

The sizzling temperatures also take a toll on animals, putting them at risk of dehydration and heatstroke.
April, May and June are always hot in most parts of India before monsoon rains bring cooler temperatures. But extreme heat is fast becoming a public health crisis in India, with the warm weather getting more intense since the past decade and creating severe water shortages.

A study by World Weather Attribution, an academic group that examines the source of extreme heat, found that a searing heat wave in April — that struck parts of Asia — was made at least 45 times more likely in some parts of the continent by climate change.

Climate experts say extreme heat in South Asia during the pre-monsoon season is becoming more frequent. The study found that extreme temperatures are now about 0.85 C (1.5 F) hotter in the region because of global warming.

https://apnews.com/article/india-killer-summer-heatwave-09f26a8b18628960952cf8ec9fc02fbe

Phoenix using ice immersion to treat heatstroke victims as Southwest bakes in triple digits​

BY ANITA SNOW
Updated 7:19 AM BRT, June 5, 2024

PHOENIX (AP) — The season’s first heat wave is already baking the Southwest with triple-digit temperatures as firefighters in Phoenix — America’s hottest big city — employ new tactics in hopes of saving more lives in a county that saw 645 heat-related deaths last year.

Starting this season, the Phoenix Fire Department is immersing heatstroke victims in ice on the way to area hospitals. The medical technique, known as cold water immersion, is familiar to marathon runners and military service members and has also recently been adopted by Phoenix hospitals as a go-to protocol, said Fire Capt. John Prato.

Prato demonstrated the method earlier this week outside the emergency department of Valleywise Health Medical Center in Phoenix, packing ice cubes inside an impermeable blue bag around a medical dummy representing a patient. He said the technique could dramatically lower body temperature in minutes.

“Just last week we had a critical patient that we were able to bring back before we walked through the emergency room doors,” Prato said. “That’s our goal — to improve patient survivability.”

The heatstroke treatment has made ice and human-sized immersion bags standard equipment on all Phoenix fire department emergency vehicles. It is among measures the city adopted this year as temperatures and their human toll soar ever higher. Phoenix for the first time is also keeping two cooling stations open overnight this season.

Emergency responders in much of an area stretching from southeast California to central Arizona are preparing for what the National Weather Service said would be “easily their hottest” weather since last September.

images

Excessive heat warnings were issued for Wednesday morning through Friday evening for parts of southern Nevada and Arizona, with highs expected to top 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43.3 Celsius) in Las Vegas and Phoenix. The unseasonably hot weather was expected to spread northward and make its way into parts of the Pacific Northwest by the weekend.

Officials in Maricopa County were stunned earlier this year when final numbers showed 645 heat-related deaths in Arizona’s largest county, a majority of them in Phoenix. The most brutal period was a heat wave with 31 subsequent days of temperatures of 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43.4 Celsius) or higher, which claimed more than 400 lives.

“We’ve been seeing a severe uptick in the past three years in cases of severe heat illness,” said Dr. Paul Pugsley, medical director of emergency medicine with Valleywise Health. Of those, about 40% do not survive.
Universal-Soldier-1992-film-images-a1e4afd1-3b8a-417f-942c-66354c8e34d.jpg

Cooling down patients long before they get to the emergency department could change the equation, he said.

The technique “is not very widely spread in non-military hospitals in the U.S., nor in the prehospital setting among fire departments or first responders,” Pugsley said. He said part of that may be a longstanding perception that the technique’s use for all cases of heatstroke by first responders or even hospitals was impractical or impossible.

Pugsley said he was aware of limited use of the technique in some places in California, including Stanford Medical Center in Palo Alto and Community Regional Medical Center in Fresno, and by the San Antonio Fire Department in Texas.

Banner University Medical Center in Phoenix embraced the protocol last summer, said Dr. Aneesh Narang, assistant medical director of emergency medicine there.

“This cold water immersion therapy is really the standard of care to treat heatstroke patients,” he said.
5-arnold-schwarzenegger-mr.-freeze-batman-and-robin-1997-movie.jpg.webp

https://apnews.com/article/southwest-heat-wave-58e5c7079a46c6158646d42cb5355bb2

it's been one year since I said I haven't had a beach day in one year and it's moderately sunny so I'm going to the beach now

Back