My Copium: Volk beat himself with his most recent decision making

Fatback96

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
The only thing that beat Volk was himself. I admit this is completely biased, but it’s what I think.

Accepting a short notice fight on 11 days notice against Islam Makachev after binge drinking and not training was about the worst idea imaginable. He cracked his chin there.

Then he accepts a fight against a young huge hitter just 4 months later after being put completely out by a guy a weight class above. Who knows how the fight would’ve gone if he hadn’t taken those risks beforehand.

Also he’s above 35 and that kind of decision making isn’t ideal when all you can go is down from there.

I think Volk might be the best fighter we’ve ever seen inside the octagon, but outside it seems that his demons got the best of him.

You could be right on a few of those things BUT you gotta give Top credit, said it he would do it and did exactly that.

The only thing that beat Volk was himself. I admit this is completely biased, but it’s what I think.

Accepting a short notice fight on 11 days notice against Islam Makachev after binge drinking and not training was about the worst idea imaginable. He cracked his chin there.

Then he accepts a fight against a young huge hitter just 4 months later after being put completely out by a guy a weight class above. Who knows how the fight would’ve gone if he hadn’t taken those risks beforehand.

Also he’s above 35 and that kind of decision making isn’t ideal when all you can go is down from there.

I think Volk might be the best fighter we’ve ever seen inside the octagon, but outside it seems that his demons got the best of him.
If you think Volk is the best fighter we’ve ever seen, maybe you should just stop thinking all together.

Volk is a great fighter, but he's always been somewhat chinny and hittable. Perfect for Illa who has much better boxing and striking than Volk.

Illia might just be exceptionally elite and had Volk's number. Only time will tell.

I think Volk returned too fast after the short notice KO and age might have played a factor. Toporia being a special talent with unreal power on top of that and Illia landed the cleanest hook to the jaw as possible

I'm bummed Volk lost as an Aussie, but all this talk about cracked chins is silly. That punch was so clean. It would've put Volk out regardless of whether he took the Islam fight.

Would Volk have been so wary in his approach if Islam hadn't sparked him? That's a different discussion. Probably a pointless one as only Volk will know.

Give props to Topuria. He is legit.

That last statement is wild.

If we are observing Pound-for-Pound, Mighty Mouse is better than Volk.

I know people usually discount the smaller weight classes, so we will go ahead and rule MM out.

I still think Jones and GSP were both observably superior fighters.

I say this as a massive Volk fan. He may very well be FW GOAT but acting like he is TBE is simply not defendable.

Islam wrote the blueprint on how to expose volk. He was a heavy plodding guy with no chin.

Volk needs to stop being so salty about getting exposed.

I think him hanging and banging with Zuck du Pont isn't the best decision for his mental or physical health. Bad vibes when he was walking down to the cage. In boxing they have rappers come rap with them on the walk out and it's kinda annoying and you cant really hear anything but it's mostly harmless and the rappers aren't pretending to be boxers and corner the fights. Alex came out with Zuck singing and dancing like 6th grade chess team member to Men at Work. Just not a great look but I think he needs some time off and to stay away from the facebook catcher team for a while.

He came back way too soon from the Islam KO

That said, gotta give Ilia his props regardless.

I don't like how ultra relaxed he was for the fight.

I know Volk is a chill guy and being calm is a good thing to some degree but hanging out with clowns like Zuckerberg and smiling all the way to the octagon, eh. I'd like to see some killer instinct.

Back