Who's the physically strongest MW in UFC?

barbarian.gifv

Beat me to it, damn.
Yeah, Boetsch was a big MW who started at LHW. However, both Lombard and Okami (who also fought at WW) appeared to outmuscle him...or maybe it was again their judo. He beat Lombard in a close/controverial decision where Lombard was very inactive/reluctant but seemed capable of outrgrappling Boetsch when he wanted to. Okami dominated Boetsch for 2 rounds then got KO'd early in the 3rd. Great come-from-behind win but I was cheering for Okami.

I'm not sure if Boetsch was any stronger than prime Rockhold either. Luke finished him pretty easily as I recall and was also big enough to fight at LHW easily except for his chin.

Thats and opinion. From a loser prick to be more precise

Info: Rich Franklin was 10-15lbs heavier than Okami and still got manhandled in the clinch
Sigh…. You don't have no concept of clinch fighting if you think it is all strength.

Sonnen run from 2009-2011 is up there if we’re not comparing eras as well since MW are just much bigger now. His fights against Yushin/NateM/Silva/Stann his top control was top notch and he looked impossible to shake off and these were mostly guys that you can’t just rag doll easily.

I get it though, Chael would set off a five alarm fire on drug test during this period, but watching those fights without that context, he was a damn animal to watch. Lots of fighters were also drugging it in this era as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkt
That probably has a lot to do with Okami's judo background, though. I was pretty impressed with how Okami was able to TD and dominate Lombard for most of their fight, though.

Against Chael and Anderson, Okami didn't seem overwhelmingly strong, though.

Yeah, it definitely had to do with Okami's judo skill, not strenght. Franklin himself admited as much, saying that he was used to the American wrestling style of his training partners instead of Okami's focus on trips from the clinch. He speaks about it here with Mike Swick:

Franklin also stated between rounds in their fight that "Okami is not so strong".

Okami's size and strenght was always overstated to the point of becoming a meme, even though some clueless shertards like this dude @NoSmilez took it as a fact. Yushin was WW for half of his career and even when bulked up for MW never weighted over 200lbs in fight night, which is average even by the standards of '00s, let alone modern standards.

Yeah, Boetsch was a big MW who started at LHW. However, both Lombard and Okami (who also fought at WW) appeared to outmuscle him...or maybe it was again their judo. He beat Lombard in a close/controverial decision where Lombard was very inactive/reluctant but seemed capable of outrgrappling Boetsch when he wanted to. Okami dominated Boetsch for 2 rounds then got KO'd early in the 3rd. Great come-from-behind win but I was cheering for Okami.

I'm not sure if Boetsch was any stronger than prime Rockhold either. Luke finished him pretty easily as I recall and was also big enough to fight at LHW easily except for his chin.

Vs Lombard, I just think the easiest way to beat Lombard is to exploit his flat footed style and pick him apart, and that's what Boetsch did (kinda). Regardless of physicality, I dont think Boetsch has the skill to take down a guy with Lombard's judo base.

I think Boetsch was clearly a more physically stronger/powerul fighter than Okami and it was shown in their fight. Okami softed him up in the feet and by doing that did set up double underhooks which is an advantageous position more so with Yushin's height advantage and judo base. Only then he was able to outgrapple Boetsch and still had a hard time taking him down.
In the 3rd, when they got in a 50/50 position in the clinch, Boetsch pretty much hulked him in there. The gap in phisicality was pretty evident

Reactions: mkt
Gay Jesus Romero.

Are we really counting Pereira as a MW? If so, we'd also have to include Rumble Johnson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luminous Knight
Back