Why is the UFC doing this to Gaethje?

Portland8242

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
So 1st off, going back to last summer - I remember the narrative being pretty strong that the winner of the BMF belt will go on to fight Islam.

Gaethje won the fight, so naturally he waited yet he never got the call.

Time passes on and I remember him saying in another interview that he can't just wait around since Oliveira and Tsarukyan could leapfrog him at any time, so he figured he best stay busy and he took the Max matchup.

Now the UFC has not only broke their promise to him being the winner over Poirier, but they're double crossing him by giving Poirier the title shot - one that Gaethje could have had if he just waited a few months.

Not only this - but bringing this news out during fight week is probably going to annoy the shit out of Gaethje, he's already sounded noticeably irritated in other interviews when asked about Poirier potentially fighting Islam. This news will honestly serve as a bad distraction for him during fight week.

THe UFC really won't even wait until after Saturday to see who's next? Not even if one of the fighters comes out unscathed and is ready for Islam come June?

They're saving Justin Gaethje's title fight for Mexican Independence Day, at the Sphere!!🎉🇲🇽🎊

Last edited:
Justin definitely got the $hit end of the stick.​

UFC doing this UFC stuff after his Dustin KO is a major kick in the nuts.

Gaethje pleasure in seeing BSD loosing "Fuck that kid" had a price, nice karma

Now the UFC has not only broke their promise to him being the winner over Poirier, but they're double crossing him by giving Poirier the title shot - one that Gaethje could have had if he just waited a few months.
They haven't and they aren't. The UFC hasn't announced anything.

Dude, Max will surprise a lot of people on Saturday imo. Max will be the one in line for a title shot. Then everyone can really cry about the UFC doing Justin dirty. It's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes though.

Last edited:
Islam last fight was October last year, Justin was July 2023. They should of been booked for early 2024 why it wasn't only the UFC will know.

Problem now is Islam all of a sudden wants to be active and with Charls,Arman and Justin all have up coming fights it only leaves Dustin and Gamrot available in the top5.

Light weight went from one of the best divisions to one of the worst, There seems to be a big gap between the top 5 and the rest.

Bad timing. Islam no hurry and UFC wants to book fights. Justin gets a big name in Max and lower relative risk of getting KOd or subd. Max will give him an endurance test so better not underestimate. Max tenacious. So hopefully an action packed fight while it lasts for promoting next title shot.

He's been very open that his goal is to be champion.

LIsten to some his interviews when he's asked about Poirier fighting Islam, this shit is pissing him off royal.

It should piss him off sir, I mean he's being double penetrated against his will lol.

Normally I would agree, but neither Justin or Dustin have a realistic chance against Makhachev so UFC is probably doing him a favour by not giving him the title shot.

seeing how the UFC struggled to put together a main event for 300, i'm sure both justin and Max got compensated handsomely to step in and be on that card, even if it's for a fake belt people ate still looking forward to it, i'd say a winnable fight for more money is better that a guaranteed lose to Islam for less

Normally I would agree, but neither Justin or Dustin have a realistic chance against Makhachev so UFC is probably doing him a favour by not giving him the title shot.

this is MMA brather, everyone has a chance.

this is MMA brather, everyone has a chance.
Yes, I left the door a crack open for the unlikely chance he catches him with something, that’s why I said he doesn’t have a realistic chance, which is not the same as saying he has no chance.

Back