The fight Jon Jones should ask for

Stipe was never the biggest name and now after being inactive for many years people claim it is a big name, while Pereira being an active fighter and champion isn't?

I just checked how much both names are being searched for on Google. Pereira has almost 2,5 times more people searching on his name than Stipe in the last month in the US.

View attachment 1023241

View attachment 1023242
Stipe has been in title fights since 2016. He's the HW name (win or lose) during most of the time Jones is at the top as well. And I'm not even a fan of Stipe or the fact he received so many shots, but it is what it is.

Hell, Stipe has more title fights in the UFC than Pereira has fights.

And I think that in the end, the thread is about who should Jones ask for. And he said already he's fighting for legacy. So even if Pereira is much hotter right now, like that search metric showed, to Jones, Stipe means much more.

Whoever Jones fights, people will shit on him (Stipe is old, Pereira has no ground/never that good), so he might as well go against the legends of his time.

The Stipe fight doesn't make sense. Yes Jones will probably win, but other than that it doesn't do anything. I don't read here often and maybe it is already said many times, but there is an other fight that Jones could win and which has more value than defeating an old inactive fighter.

Alex Pereira is the same age as Jon Jones. Also has a big experience and won belts, and is the current champion of 'Jon Jones weightclass'. It would be champion vs champion of the two most heavy divisions, a fight both fighters would deserve and Alex already stated he wanted to go to heavyweight also. This would be a fight that would make sense now, instead of Stipe - Jones which would make sense 5 years ago.

I understand Jones doesn't want to fight Aspinal. It is a high risk low reward kind of fight in his eyes, because Aspinal is the younger and heavier fighter without having a big name yet. Jones should ask for Pereira, which is an easier fight for him and a bigger name. Jones would have a good chance to win and Alex would probably take it. Champ vs Champ, people would buy it and it would actually be interesting to see.
Pereira isn't washed up like Stipe and I doubt Jon wants to cut to 205

Jon jones should fight his pharmacist.

Gyno and titty injuries a common side effect of fake aromatase blockers

The Stipe fight doesn't make sense. Yes Jones will probably win, but other than that it doesn't do anything. I don't read here often and maybe it is already said many times, but there is an other fight that Jones could win and which has more value than defeating an old inactive fighter.

Alex Pereira is the same age as Jon Jones. Also has a big experience and won belts, and is the current champion of 'Jon Jones weightclass'. It would be champion vs champion of the two most heavy divisions, a fight both fighters would deserve and Alex already stated he wanted to go to heavyweight also. This would be a fight that would make sense now, instead of Stipe - Jones which would make sense 5 years ago.

I understand Jones doesn't want to fight Aspinal. It is a high risk low reward kind of fight in his eyes, because Aspinal is the younger and heavier fighter without having a big name yet. Jones should ask for Pereira, which is an easier fight for him and a bigger name. Jones would have a good chance to win and Alex would probably take it. Champ vs Champ, people would buy it and it would actually be interesting to see.
Not a Jones fan but he don’t need to ask for anything he deserves whatever he wants and demands!

everybody talks about Jon Jones vs Stipe and how they think it'll go after Jon wins BUT what IF Stipe wins? i'm not even sure what would happen.
Stipe will stick around for another payday, he doesnt have a record to protect, similar to Teixeira.

Aspinal should fight Stipe since Jones isn't going to fight anyone soon.

everybody talks about Jon Jones vs Stipe and how they think it'll go after Jon wins BUT what IF Stipe wins? i'm not even sure what would happen.

Old and having not fought in years Stipe's still a better fighter than anyone not named Jones. At least better in the sense he's proven himself. Using facts and not opinions, he has a MUCH better chance of beating Jones than Aspanell whose best win is a guy who's 2 best wins are against fellows who are 14-7 & 27-12. And according to Sherdoggers Jon's scared because he knows Tom will walk thru him. Yes, Tom has the interim belt, but take Sergi off his record and his best win was an ancient Arlovski who refuses to retire. And as I said about Sergi, he's a good fighter, but how good? His top wins aren't impressive at all compared to Stipe's. Being top 5 in this HW division isn't saying much, Blaydes is pretty good, the rest of the division seems pretty basic to me.

IMHO there's a difference between beating top 5 dudes in a super stacked division like FW & LW and beating top 5 dudes in HW.

Old and having not fought in years Stipe's still a better fighter than anyone not named Jones. At least better in the sense he's proven himself. Using facts and not opinions, he has a MUCH better chance of beating Jones than Aspanell whose best win is a guy who's 2 best wins are against fellows who are 14-7 & 27-12. And according to Sherdoggers Jon's scared because he knows Tom will walk thru him. Yes, Tom has the interim belt, but take Sergi off his record and his best win was an ancient Arlovski who refuses to retire. And as I said about Sergi, he's a good fighter, but how good? His top wins aren't impressive at all compared to Stipe's. Being top 5 in this HW division isn't saying much, Blaydes is pretty good, the rest of the division seems pretty basic to me.

IMHO there's a difference between beating top 5 dudes in a super stacked division like FW & LW and beating top 5 dudes in HW.

i don't see how he has a much better chance than Aspinall. Aspinall is bigger, faster, and more athletic than Stipe is. those things can matter just as much if not more than experience and recorded wins.

Pereira doesn't deserve that fight even a little bit

wish jones would just go out with the aspinall fight. he's always fought the best, fought everyone at LHW, never backed down. with no USADA, his whole team of scientists and strategists, aspinall is the clear choice. even if he lost, i think he would be respected more amongst the hardcores. i understand why they want to hold up everything with the stipe fight, but that's going to be the biggest asterisk in what is otherwise a legendary career. he should throw it all on the line, prepare like crazy, no USADA, fight aspinall, in the most definitive modern HW fight of all time. that is how he should go out, how the book should end.

Lol why is everyone hating or writing off Stipe I don't understand it ... The guy was champion before Ngannou has beaten Ngannou.. D.C etc ..

Stipe isnt that much older then Jon... And this is HW where age doesnt mean as much as it does in other divisions as power is the last thing to go in a fighter ...

Seems like just Jones hate
Sure, let them fight if they want. Just not for the belt

Lol why is everyone hating or writing off Stipe I don't understand it ... The guy was champion before Ngannou has beaten Ngannou.. D.C etc ..

Stipe isnt that much older then Jon... And this is HW where age doesnt mean as much as it does in other divisions as power is the last thing to go in a fighter ...

Seems like just Jones hate
Why should anyone have faith in a 40+ year old fighter in the 'premier' mma league in the world? Shows how weak and shallow the HW division is when the UFC is campaigning for a 40+ year old to fight for the hw belt. What a fuckin joke. Fuck Dana.

It will still be an obvious paper ploy. He has to get back down to LHW, which I cannot see him doing. Or having Alex go up to HW which he isn't a natural for and has never fought as....
It's not a grandstand fight. But if the fight is in the UFC. It should be Tom. Or he should drop the belt

Not like Jones has a lot of fights under his belt at HW either.

If they fight at HW, it's just two LHWs without a weight cut.

Off topic. But this page is now unusable on a phone.

Typing lags
Pop ups with pin head sized close buttons

Back