Blanchfield vs. Fiorot to Headline in Atlantic City March 30

PurpleStorm

purp
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

Erin Blanchfield-Manon Fiorot to headline in Atlantic City​

Jeff Wagenheim / ESPN / Feb 15, 2024

Erin Blanchfield vs. Manon Fiorot is a pivotal matchup in the UFC women's flyweight division. Now it is being treated like one.
The UFC announced Thursday that the previously announced bout between Blanchfield (12-1) and Fiorot (11-1) has been elevated to the headline spot on the promotion's March 30 Fight Night event in Atlantic City, New Jersey. It will fill a vacancy created when the promotion's planned main event, Sean Brady vs. Vicente Luque, fell apart. Blanchfield-Fiorot was to be the co-main event on the card.
Blanchfield, who will be competing in her home state, has won nine fights in a row, most recently a unanimous decision win over onetime title challenger Taila Santos in August. Blanchfield, 24, is No. 4 in the ESPN rankings at 125 pounds.

The third-ranked Fiorot, 33, of France, is on an 11-fight winning streak after dropping her pro debut. She is coming off a unanimous decision victory over former strawweight champion Rose Namajunas in September. UFC CEO Dana White said several months ago, even before the fight was booked, that Blanchfield vs. Fiorot "would make sense" as a No. 1 contender bout to determine a challenger for flyweight champ Alexa Grasso.

ysuNEC3.gif

Good scrap!

It's a damn shame one of them has to eliminate the other. Frankly, they both earned it.

No idea what's going on with the title scene, but this fight would HAVE to make you think Grasso vs Shev 3 is in the works, otherwise, why even do this fight?

I thought that was "guaranteed"? Anyhow yea otherwise killing off talent unnecessarily.
Could be my ignorance, but I haven't heard anything about what kind of hold-ups there might be, so if it's guaranteed, it's been guaranteed for 5 months and no announcement.

I always think a title draw should be run back, but a title draw that Dana maybe didn't like, after they've done the immediate rematch clause? Who knows.

Back