Rewatch I just rewatched Poatan vs Jiri

I'm sorry i know it's trully annoying to hear that but Jiri was clearly winning the fight before he got caught, he overweilmed Poatan with shots

Jiri is clearly a better striker overall, he just don't know how to defend himself, Poatan have also a sus defense of punches btw

Discuss

I know it's really annoying to hear but he got knocked the fuck out there isn't anything else to talk about.

He wasn't winning, periera was damaging jiris leg bad vs jiri doing no damage on Pereira. It was kinda weird though because Alex looked vulnerable and hittable the whole time but jiri just wasn't landing clean. That's why I think a much better boxer like hill can capitalize where jiri wasn't able to

It's crazy how two people can watch the same thing and come to completely different conclusions. My memory of this fight was that it was close until the finish, but Pereira was basically in control the whole time.
Jiri did nothing in the first round on the feet and got chewed up with leg kicks. The 2nd round he landed a couple good shots as Pereira backed up but despite the commentary he was never really in trouble. As soon as he tried to push the action against the cage he got caught and finished.

I still think Pereira's defence especially with shots down the middle is suspect and might get him knocked out soon, but Jiri was never really in control on the feet here
Even in that end sequence you can see it. Pereira is landing multiple good clean shots that are actually hurting Jiri, compared to Jiri who lands big lunging single shots that only just connect. Just before this finish, Rogan goes mad for a glancing shot from Jiri which is just an everyday part of fighting. Alex on the other hand wears that shot slides out of range and then hits Jiri with a devastating combo that drops him. That was the story of the entire fight. Alex landing bigger combos and Jiri landing single shots from range.

MMA striking is a bit different with people lunging in and out from range and we see big finishes when two people crash together. Kickboxing has more combinations resulting in a finish from the 3rd or 4th strike. Jiri was struggling with the fact Alex stayed in and threw multiple shots instead of just engaging in that leaping battle on the outside.

I think Alex beats Jiri 8/10. Hill is worse than both both he seems to have the ability to find that big shot much better.

I agree with you. Alex in the last few fights seems a little strange, he always has the engage initiative in fights, but lately he has been quite cautious, I don't know if it was the ko suffered by Izzy that taught him a lesson, in this fight against Jiri it could have been a strategy , hurting the samurai legs to force him to engage and catch him in the counter, dunno.

You know what's even more annoying? When thread starters post "discuss" at the end.

They're probably not bright enough to realize what the default activity in a DISCUSSION forum is.

They're probably not bright enough to realize what the default activity in a DISCUSSION forum is.
There were a few good threads earlier in the year, with people getting upset when people disagreed with the initial post of their threads. The best one was someone asking for people who only agreed with their thread (bashing Robe Whittaker of all people) because they didn't find his fights exciting. It went how you can imagine.

I like Jiri but his best attribute is his look.

He leaves way too many openings to function at the elite level. He operates in some weird space between karate and mma; and seems unable to make it work when the pressure is on. Sloppy fighter.

He’s fun to watch when he’s crushing cans though.

It’s what happens in most poatan fights, he gets outclassed but then he lands a punch to end the fight

Such a horrible stoppage but go alex

I agree with you. Alex in the last few fights seems a little strange, he always has the engage initiative in fights, but lately he has been quite cautious, I don't know if it was the ko suffered by Izzy that taught him a lesson, in this fight against Jiri it could have been a strategy , hurting the samurai legs to force him to engage and catch him in the counter, dunno.
In the Jan fight I imagine it was elevation and the threat of the TD. For Jiri I'd like to think it was Alex trying to get a read on him. Jiri's unorthodox style gives one a lot to think about and he probably felt it was better to play it more cautious and wait for an opening instead of trying to force one and get caught with something that came from a weird angle he didn't see coming.

Textbook bullshit early stoppage.

But I understand. If I had low T and didn't mind altering the careers of pros irrevocably I would also virtue signal online that any time a fighter is dropped they should stop the fight instantly regardless of if they are defending themselves or not. Then I'd attach myself to whichever fighter won the fight in true beta fashion.

After all, makes me look good morally. You cavemen and your desire for fighter's to be allowed to defend themselves... shudder. The fact that the early stoppage directly benefits the fighter the org wanted to win... well nevermind that. Ignore that please. Me looking morally superior is what matters so just focus on that.
Pereira is so hilariously overrated at LHW. 50/50 win over decrepit Jan and, as you said, an objectively early stoppage against Jiri who gets wobbled in literally every UFC fight. A Jiri coming off a year+ layoff. Hill is going to fucking smoke him (yes, I am aware of the similar layoff).

Shitting on Jamahal Hill and worshipping scary-looking Brazilian who got fast-tracked to title fights is the sophisticated Sherdogger take. Imagine overlooking the fact that Pereira came off a knockout loss at MW, won an unimpressive single split-decision a weight class up that could have easily gone the other way, and then got a title shot. Nvm the fact that he only fought 1 guy in the top 15 at MW before fighting Izzy at MW.

I like Poaton but the bias, favoritism, and outright stupidity around his MMA resume really annoys the shit out of me.

It's almost like to be a better striker you also have to learn som basic level of striking defence.

Pereira has been taken down by Izzy, Jiri and Bruno Silva......

<6>

Oh I know. The fact that these stoppages are now commonplace is exactly my point. It is HORRIBLE for the sport that this is now normalized.

But I don't dispute that it was a bad moment for Jiri.

I dispute it being anything other than a bullshit stoppage based on the rules which say as long as someone is defending themselves they should be good. No one on Earth should be able to objectively dispute that he was defending himself.

Honestly though, if he survived 9 minutes on the feet vs Alex I don't think it is crazy to think he could survive 50 seconds on the ground with Alex (where Alex is much less dangerous). But whatever. Now we never get to find out. Sucks.
Jiri was about to be pounded into a wine stain and his good looks were saved by the ref. He himself almost immediately stated that he lost consciousness in the finishing sequence, which is the end of the fight.

Back