UFC 301: Pantoja vs. Erceg

Orolbai pre bet on parlay and Elves live if Orolbai struggles to keep control after early takedowns. One thing about Elves this guy doesnt wilt. But he might get controlled if the difference in physicality is too much to overcome. And pre fight I think it will be.

I need Elves get up game to be as capable as I think it is. I have a decent amount invested in Oralbay over 3.5 TD's.

I'm thinking of betting the over in that fight, but the way Elves iced his last opponent does make me feel something could happen early, albeit I think he loses here
Kaynan is chinny. Orolbai seems to have a good chin.

Fun Facts about Ismael Bonfim vs Vinc Pichel:

- Vinc will turn 42 this year and is fighting a dangerous 28 year old fighter.
- Vinc last fight was 2 years ago.
- Vinc will have the burden of jet lag flying from the states and dealing with a diet of local Brazilian food. Hopefully he didn't consume any Brazilian sushi.
- Aggressively hostile Brazilian crowd will probably ruffle his feathers on the way to the arena

Alexandre “The Cannibal” Pantoja (27-5) Vs Steve “Astroboy” Erceg (12-1)

The main event is sure to be a fight to remember with the flyweight title on the line.

Pantoja is the rightful favourite here having already beaten most of the top 10 and being in his home country of Brazil.

Pantoja is a very well rounded fighter with a number of finishes on his record. (8 KO, 10 SUB)

Pantoja has never been finished and all 5 of his losses have been via decision.

Pantoja will be the shorter man by 3 inches and as well the older man by 6 years.

Erceg is an unfamiliar fighter to most fans but make no mistake he is a formidable opponent who will present unique challenges to the champ.

Erceg is a proven finisher with 8 of his 12 wins coming via finish. (6 SUB, 2 KO)

In my prediction Erceg will be the much faster man and have the more calculated game plan.

There seems to be consensus that Pantoja will have the edge on the mat and Erceg will have the edge striking but I believe Erceg will be able to hold his own on the mat as well.

It is often said you are only as good as your last fight and while Erceg had a highlight KO, Pantoja failed to impress me in his 5 round victory over Brandon Royval.

I can’t blame anyone for backing Pantoja here but I believe this fight to be ripe for the upset and will make a play on the upcoming Australian fighter.

Pick: Steve Erceg ML (+157)

Im playing little bit of mmath here but the first fight might tell a lot about Steve's chances in the main event.
-Recently he had a dead even fight against Alessandro Costa
-Costa is fighting Kevin Borjas, a man coming of a loss vs Joshua Van. He showcased great toughness but ultimately was completely outclassed and took a lot of punishment from the young phenom
-Costa should be able to show "levels" to Borjas. Same levels that Steve brings into the main event
-If Costa does win in impressive fashion it at least tells us more about these two guys.
-If he struggles then we have to take into account Steve's jump in competition levels as well.

Im playing little bit of mmath here but the first fight might tell a lot about Steve's chances in the main event.
-Recently he had a dead even fight against Alessandro Costa
-Costa is fighting Kevin Borjas, a man coming of a loss vs Joshua Van. He showcased great toughness but ultimately was completely outclassed and took a lot of punishment from the young phenom
-Costa should be able to show "levels" to Borjas. Same levels that Steve brings into the main event
-If Costa does win in impressive fashion it at least tells us more about these two guys.
-If he struggles then we have to take into account Steve's jump in competition levels as well.
Borjas beat Van in round 1, Van put on a high pace in rnds 2-3. Costa doesn't have that same pressure and pace.

Another bad thing about Costa is his chin , getting dropped twice by Amir and koed, when Amir has like 5 kos vs fighters around less than 5 fights in his early career. Bad signs of a favorite. Borjas has a nice defensive high guard, and he can pop a flying knee out of no where, he's skillful enough here to ko Costa in rnds 2-3.

Borjas beat Van in round 1, Van put on a high pace in rnds 2-3. Costa doesn't have that same pressure and pace.

Another bad thing about Costa is his chin , getting dropped twice by Amir and koed, when Amir has like 5 kos vs fighters around less than 5 fights in his early career. Bad signs of a favorite. Borjas has a nice defensive high guard, and he can pop a flying knee out of no where, he's skillful enough here to ko Costa in rnds 2-3.
Yes and Van did the same to his last opponent except Borjas survived to see the final bell and the last guy got killed bad despite never losing by ko before. If someone is getting finished it very well could be Costa.

Back