Bragging rights: Volkanovski vs Topuria - Who wins and how?

Who wins and how?

• Alexander Volkanovski by KO / TKO

Votes: 38 21.5%
  • Alexander Volkanovski by Submission

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Alexander Volkanovski by Decision

Votes: 77 43.5%
  • Draw, No Contest or either fighter by Disqualification

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ilia Topuria by KO / TKO

Votes: 48 27.1%
  • Ilia Topuria by Submission

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ilia Topuria by Decision

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Volk in a decision where he gets dropped at least once.

Topuria takes the first round, possibly the second too, by hurting Volk. Then every round starts looking more and more like his first round against Jay Hebert. Volk 48-46

Topuria wins by TKO r2/r3. Pretty good stylistic matchup for him.

Topu is going to head kick Volk into Bolivian and make it look easy

Being close to 40, an alcoholic and fighting at 145 is not a good combination whilst coming off a curbstomp loss

My thoughts. Most to least likely:
1. Alex by decision
2. Alex by late 5th round stoppage
3. Topuria by club and sub.

Topuria takes the first round, possibly the second too, by hurting Volk. Then every round starts looking more and more like his first round against Jay Hebert. Volk 48-46

Great comparison 155er 6'1 Herbert and 5'6 Volk
So Ilia will have 3 minutes of control time after a headkick and lose his mouthpiece 2 times? Great prediction

Last edited:
I’ll answer this the way I have answered this in other threads about this fight.

It will be a back and fourth in the first two rounds and Ilia will clip volk a couple times and probably hurt/wobble him a couple times. However starting third round Volk will have adjusted to Ilia gameplan and start taking over and unanimously win the last three rounds. Volk by UD. I think volk makes ilia work hard the last three rounds and essentially has him gas out. I also think j leg kicks will be a heavily used weapon for volk.

And the robbery talk will be rampant

Topu is going to head kick Volk into Bolivian and make it look easy

Being close to 40, an alcoholic and fighting at 145 is not a good combination whilst coming off a curbstomp loss
Yeah I agree the cut to 145 is going to ruin him. He's a natural 205'er.

I'm rooting for Volk, so as my luck with picking favorites would have it, voted Ilia via KO/TKO <WhitmanDefeat>

Volk by headkick in R2.

Topuria has been koed before just like that and he suffers being kicked.

Volk will probably push with lowkicks in R1 to set the bait for the headkick in R2.

I'm team Volk all the way, he wears Ilia down over 5 rounds, it's not quite Ilia's time.

Volk TKO R1.

There will be claims of early stoppage, but not many.

I feel like Ilia's best strategy is to hold back and try make Volk come to him and then counter. If he comes out too hot in Rds 1 and 2 Volk will wear him down in the championship rounds. If Ilia still has energy in rounds 3 and 4 and gets Volk timed he might....might.....hurt him.
Volk is the man though.

Volk by headkick in R2.

Topuria has been koed before just like that and he suffers being kicked.

Volk will probably push with lowkicks in R1 to set the bait for the headkick in R2.

I've seen him doing the head kick from southpaw stance a lot in training, similar to the one Edward's caught usman with. Would be sick to see him land it. I think he'll just be throwing it up there to limit some of topuria's bob and weaving that he likes to do.

Back