Rumored Canelo vs Berlanga in September

i know for a fact that saudi is behind trying to make it happen. and it makes a ton of sense for both of them to do it. canelo gets a belt in a new weight class (if he wins) and Jack, win or lose gets a huge pay day as he nears retirement
Funny. I was just saying this the other day. I suggested that Canelo might go after Jack to try and win a 5th divisional title. Only a handful of fighters have ever won major titles in that many divisions and they're all considered ATGs (Hearns, SRL, DLH, Pac & Floyd). It's a smart move and Jack isn't even a natural cruiserweight.

Funny. I was just saying this the other day. I suggested that Canelo might go after Jack to try and win a 5th divisional title. Only a handful of fighters have ever won major titles in that many divisions and they're all considered ATGs (Hearns, SRL, DLH, Pac & Floyd). It's a smart move and Jack isn't even a natural cruiserweight.

Jack deserves to have a huge payout to set him up nicely for retirement after some of the shitty calls that've gone against him in his career. I'd definitely be rooting for him if he was to fight Canelo. I could be wrong, but didn't Jack become the first ever SMW, LHW, and CW world champ in history when he beat Makabu? If that doesn't earn you a monumental fight against Canelo or someone of that ilk then i don't know what does.

Jack deserves to have a huge payout to set him up nicely for retirement after some of the shitty calls that've gone against him in his career. I'd definitely be rooting for him if he was to fight Canelo. I could be wrong, but didn't Jack become the first ever SMW, LHW, and CW world champ in history when he beat Makabu? If that doesn't earn you a monumental fight against Canelo or someone of that ilk then i don't know what does.
I hope so too. He's had a string of bad luck in his career. I'm not sure about him being the first ever SMW, LHW, and CW champ to be honest. However, it wouldn't surprise me because right now I can't think of any other fighter to win a major world title in those three divisions (*his LHW WBA title was just a Regular strap but given how many times he's been screwed we'll count it).

Jack is certainly a deserving boxer, that being said he brought some of the shit that happened to him being hot and cold, at times in the very same fight. The version of him that walked through Cleverly looked like a million bucks, and still he also looked way inferior a little later.

I’d rather see Ginger fight Benavidez or Bivol at 168 but wouldn’t mind a Canelo vs Jack showdown. Makes more sense than Berlanga anyway.

What a weird move if it comes to be, I can’t say I’d be a fan of that at all. Sounds like I’m in good company, this fight has everyone scratching their damn heads.

Taking continued fights like this would have me thinking Canelo has truly lost a step and we are witnessing the beginning of the end of a good career, with longer waits for meaningful fights. Meanwhile Charlo, Benavidez, Bivol fights just in wait? Hope it’s just a rumor

(*his LHW WBA title was just a Regular strap but given how many times he's been screwed we'll count it).
He took that belt from Cleverly, who had been a solid title holder before wining the WBA regular title. So it was a match between 2 world class fighters, and not a hand out like Lara got at middleweight.

Speaking of Lara, who was recently made full champion. Wasn't Jack made full champion after Ward retired this titles? I remember that the WBA mandated Jack to defend the full title against the interim champion, Bivol. Who was subsequently promoted to full champion after Jack opted to vacate and Stevenson, the lineal champion.

I hope so too. He's had a string of bad luck in his career. I'm not sure about him being the first ever SMW, LHW, and CW champ to be honest. However, it wouldn't surprise me because right now I can't think of any other fighter to win a major world title in those three divisions (*his LHW WBA title was just a Regular strap but given how many times he's been screwed we'll count it).

Maybe he is, maybe someone else did it first and i just can't think who. It does mention it near the bottom of this article - https://www.boxingscene.com/badou-jack-drops-ilunga-makabu-twice-stops-him-twelfth-wbc-title--172751

Now Jack just needs to win a title in the division that matters... Bridgerweight.

He took that belt from Cleverly, who had been a solid title holder before wining the WBA regular title. So it was a match between 2 world class fighters, and not a hand out like Lara got at middleweight.

Speaking of Lara, who was recently made full champion. Wasn't Jack made full champion after Ward retired this titles? I remember that the WBA mandated Jack to defend the full title against the interim champion, Bivol. Who was subsequently promoted to full champion after Jack opted to vacate and Stevenson, the lineal champion.
Agree that Cleverly was a solid win, but I don't count secondary titles in general. Not usually anyway. Jack was never made full WBA champion at LHW to my knowledge. I checked and there's no mention of him having been promoted. He was only ever WBA Regular champion for like a month before he vacated. He was supposed to fight his own mandatory which back in 2017 was an up and coming Bivol.

Badou Jack pulls out of Dmitry Bivol mandatory, vacates WBA belt

Maybe he is, maybe someone else did it first and i just can't think who. It does mention it near the bottom of this article - https://www.boxingscene.com/badou-jack-drops-ilunga-makabu-twice-stops-him-twelfth-wbc-title--172751

Now Jack just needs to win a title in the division that matters... Bridgerweight.
Jack probably is the first guy to win major titles in those 3 divisions then. Jake Donovan, the guy that wrote it, is a veteran journalist that's been covering the sport for many years. So, I'll take his word for it. Bridgerweight lol. Until it gains official recognition by the other sanctioning bodies (WBA, IBF, WBO) I won't pay any mind to it. We already have 17 weight classes. I'm not sure we need another one though at least it's sensible to 'bridge' the great divide between LHW and CW.

Bridgerweight lol. Until it gains official recognition by the other sanctioning bodies (WBA, IBF, WBO) I won't pay any mind to it. We already have 17 weight classes. I'm not sure we need another one though at least it's sensible to 'bridge' the great divide between LHW and CW.

I was joking about Bridgerweight
<DCrying>

what in the absolute fuck does Berlanga think he's gonna do against Canelo? lmao this is hilarious. i really dont think Canelo would accept the fight. Berlanga would be lucky to see the middle rounds. i joked about him fighting Canelo a few weeks back but if it actually happens i might piss myself laughing

Canelo vs Badou Jack, now thats a fight i can get behind

what in the absolute fuck does Berlanga think he's gonna do against Canelo? lmao this is hilarious. i really dont think Canelo would accept the fight. Berlanga would be lucky to see the middle rounds. i joked about him fighting Canelo a few weeks back but if it actually happens i might piss myself laughing

Canelo vs Badou Jack, now thats a fight i can get behind

I think Berlanga knows he's absolute shit at this point, and he's simply looking for a pay day. He doesn't deserve a pay day and i'd rather he get slapped around by some nobody, than waste Canelo's and our time. I don't think this rumour is accurate anyway but we'll see.

I'd like to move to the timeline where we get Canelo vs Benavidez and Beterbiev vs Bivol.

If Canelo doesn't sign with PBC, I'll be disappointed regardless. Might as well have a highlight reel KO of an unlikable fighter. Do the right thing Canelo-we want Benavidez and Charlo!

Back