DDP v Strickland - Who you got & Why?

Dricus isn't easy to fight. He is one of the few people in the UFC that punch/kick while moving backwards or forward. He is also a high volume fighter that doesn't set his feet properly before he strikes. It comes off as off balanced but his style of amateur kickboxing. The range and timing is different from boxing or MT. He isn't just a striker so the fight might hit the ground too. Strickland might come off as a meathead but he watches a lot of tape. I don't think he will change his style much but he probably figured some openings that he can exploit.

I don't think either men can make big adjustments during a fight. They are pretty much what they are. The team with the better game plan will win. I don't think you will see stuff that they don't usually do in their fights.

Hard to gauge DDP. Most of his career is sloppy and wild, but he's getting better and I think he looks more tired in fights than he actually is, so his cardio might not be as bad as it seems.

That said, to beat DDP, I'm guessing you need patience, cardio, good shot selection, and ability to grapple and Sean has all of it. So I'm leaning Sean.

Hard to gauge DDP. Most of his career is sloppy and wild, but he's getting better and I think he looks more tired in fights than he actually is, so his cardio might not be as bad as it seems.

DDP's style is in its core super inefficient; he wants distance from his opponent and makes big movements to ensure that. Doesn't matter how good his cardio is, he will 100% gas out against Strickland if the fight gets past round 3. Simply because Strickland's style is far more energy efficient.

The interesting thing would be what happens to DDP after he gasses out, cause very often he's more dangerous gassed out than when he is fresh.

Strickland via decision 3-2 or 4-1 or a late Tko due to gas, Dricus has a good chin.
Dricus with a 25% punchers chance, probably right hand.

- Dricus got outboxed by Whitaker for most of the time till the ko
-He got outwrestled by 40 year old Brunson and also took some heavy hits, till Brunson gassed due to age. 36y old Brunson might have won this.
-Didn't look great striking with Darren Till, luckily Till came without TDD

His defense is bad and his wrestling not good enough for enough continous takedowns.
- Tavares had no problem landing on him either
DDP leads with his head and is off balance a lot, Strickland will counter him all night
He is real good on top though, if Strickland lands under him for enough time in the first 2 rounds, he has a problem.
DDP has good kicks, especially low kicks. But Strickland is good at checking them.
DDP style is prone to low kicks himself, Sean doesn't have great ones, but will land some.

Fixed nose Dricus got a better gas tank now, but with that muscle mass and his power punching style, he will be tired in the 4th anyway.

It will be a great fight

im struggling to pick against ddp just cus he’s made me look dumb the last two times. I think ddp will be able to make it chaotic at times and idk if Strickland can excel in a messy fight since he’s always so clean and in control of himself. On paper Strickland should be able to hit and not really get hit and then get up if he gets taken down, but I think ddp will capitalize in scrambles and in clinch exchanges & maybe even find a sub or some crazy shit in the midst of a brawl

My hunch is DDP creates so much chaos that Stricklands amazing defense becomes less relevant. At some point you need to fight fire with fire and punish your opponent's aggressiveness with hard counter shots to stop him in his tracks. I think Strickland prefers to avoid every strike, wait and then go on own offense. Against DDP this will be hard to do.

DDP because I still can't embrace the idea that Strickland is the best 185er in the world. Great performance, tough guy. Either he has Izzy's number or he really is that guy. This will definitely be a good test, but I think he is just a stylistic problem for Adesanya. Bonus points for DDP being able to stop the fight.

ddp suffocates him
dont be fooled by ddp that looks out of breath as always
hes like that for 3 rounds and doesnt even slow down

lets see strickland defend those takedowns
also ddp has power
he has threat both standing and grappling

DDP...and i think its going to be a blowout ...seems like DDP is centered and ready to go while Strickland is caving to the moment...too many emotional outbursts

I'm playing Strickland straight and then Fight ends ITD. I think Strickland is much more likely to win and I think him finishing is a good chance. If DDP wins, it's probably a finish.

Easy pickings for Strickland unfortunately after a crazy 1st round, back to the old Sean where he will coast to a decision/sparring match after DDP has blown his cardio load

Dricus looks dialed in and Sean looks like the pressure of being champ is starting to chip at him a bit.

That being said I like both guys and think either could take this fight on a 50/50 chance. One thing I’m favoring heavily is Dricus fights well on the inside and clinch. He looks a lot stronger than Sean and if he can close the distance of Strickland and avoid the rangey outside shots, it’s gonna be a win.

But if I had to put some cash down I would pick Dricus, the guy is a steamroller and I see him eventually catching and finishing Strickland. Via SUB or TKO

Last edited:
I hope DDP smashes his face in. That'd be great. I also see it going that way, I don't think Strickland can handle his power any more than he could Pereira's , And sooner or later DDP will land.

Dricus looks dialed in and Sean looks like the pressure of being champ is starting to chip at him a bit.

That being said I like both guys and think either could take this fight on a 50/50 chance. One thing I’m favoring heavily is Dricus fights well on the inside and clinch. He looks a lot stronger than Sean and if he can close the distance of Strickland and avoid the rangey outside shots, it’s gonna be a win.

But if I had to put some cash down I would pick Dricus, the guy is a steamroller and I see him eventually catching and finishing Strickland. Via SUB or TKO
The thing for me is, what Sean looks like walking around doesn't really play into it at all. He's always been an odd dude outside of the cage. But when that fight starts he just looks like that's where he wants to be. We'll see if the weight of being a champ will have an impact on him when the fight starts I guess.

The thing for me is, what Sean looks like walking around doesn't really play into it at all. He's always been an odd dude outside of the cage. But when that fight starts he just looks like that's where he wants to be. We'll see if the weight of being a champ will have an impact on him when the fight starts I guess.
I try not to take any prefight antics into play when picking a fight, it’s always backfired for me 😝
I like to make my final pick during walkouts, they seem to be the best time to measure a fighter before the actual fight.

I try not to take any prefight antics into play when picking a fight, it’s always backfired for me 😝
I like to make my final pick during walkouts, they seem to be the best time to measure a fighter before the actual fight.

If Sean walks out like this.... thoughts?
tumblr_mdvfoseG9y1ry1rm7o1_400.gifv

Back