Do you feel bad for fans who missed the dawn of MMA?

Everybody knows Dana White created the UFC and jiujitsu. MMA was created after the UFC and will always be 2nd best. MMA is for the lower leagues bro. I train only in UFC

MMA/UFC has already peaked. Zuffa era was the best time to be a UFC fan and having Pride around was great too. MMA is garbage now. It’s a watered down product, with no stars.
I feel sorry for people who wear rose coloured glasses when looking at the past, and refuse to appreciate the great fights of today.

I mean, literally today we have Delija vs Moldavsky and Vassell vs Goltsov.

Like, they  just missed out on the most significant and exciting event and revolution in the history of combat sports and modern martial arts, where decades of action films, dojo challenges and combat sports all came together as one and the dawning of a new era came about.

heh heh 2002 account checks out.

I was maybe 10 in the mid nineties, so I witnessed the birth of MMA "live" . . . via Blockbuster VHS tapes. And it ruled so hard. I was only a kid at the time, but even then I was blow-away by basically seeing real life Van Damm movies, streetfighter/Mortal Kombat, martial arts "dream matches". I also recall not finding anything suspicious, disadvantageous, stupid, or even silly, whatsoever, with wearing one boxing glove to a "anything goes" cage fight.

I was just a teenager but we were there to witness the transition brother

From bullshit movies to fucking human cock-fighting

MMA/UFC has already peaked. Zuffa era was the best time to be a UFC fan and having Pride around was great too. MMA is garbage now. It’s a watered down product, with no stars.
Kind of my thought. I don't really agree with the latter, except I wish UFC would adapt something closer to Pride rules.

But yes. I was born in 92. First UFC was in 93. Looking back on those times is fun, since I clearly missed them, but I'm more grateful I got to watch Pride DVDs when I was a youngin, and got really into the sport in high school, during that awesome time (AS's reign).

For the record. I don't think your question is silly, in total. People dismissing the birth, or really, rebirth of true hand-to-hand combat is silly. Pankration was the biggest sport in the ancient world. So if anything I'm actually really sad to have missed out on that, or rather that our recollection of its history, or obvious lack of footage, is so spotty.

MMA/pankration/what have you is imo the one true sport, and it WILL inevitably get to that point again... That is if we continue to be a physical-based species.

Fam da old headz still here to share story widda yute no disrespect fam just keepin' it a buck but iono what you be on about 🤔 💯🦌

Yo tho fam my mind like a Rolodex of knowledge fam feel free to hit me up if you need dat old head perspective on #PowerSlap I gotchu my guy 💯✋💥

You can just watch it on youtube while taking a shit.

That's how I feel. Hanging out for it all the time made me appreciate it more. I too hate when people say there's too much & watered down. Never enough MMA.

<{JustBleed}>
It is kind of "watered down" with the current ruleset (unified rules) and gloves, in the sense that you don't actually get the truest sense of what unarmed combat would look like. With that said, it is still hard to consider a sport where you can snap your opponent's knee, or KO them flat with a headkick or spinning elbow, "watered down." The current UFC ruleset is good in the sense that MMA has expanded and grown as a result, and what you lack in pure realism you get back in repeatable results and higher standards of athleticism. And we do see that things like bare knuckle MMA, overseas promotions with laxer/better rule sets exist, so maybe it is only a matter of time.

I do feel bad for those that didn't see Sexyama in Action or him vs Belcher and Leben
Yoshihiro-Akiyama-hunk.jpg

I think it's just cause we were young at the time. Pride into ufc era, old K1 those were our days. They probably enjoy Conor Izzy as much as we used to GSP Fedor Mirko. I'm not old but it's different. 15 years ago I watched anything everything aviable. Including boxing on tv.

I think it's just cause we were young at the time. Pride into ufc era, old K1 those were our days. They probably enjoy Conor Izzy as much as we used to GSP Fedor Mirko. I'm not old but it's different. 15 years ago I watched anything everything aviable. Including boxing on tv.
Of course. It is only natural that our enthusiasm lessens/becomes different with age and when things are no longer new.

I will always be an MMA fan for life but theres no way Im as addicted as I used to be. It's not the sport though,its just me getting older.

If i was 20 id still be totally addicted.

I don't feel bad

they missed out on a lot of growing pains

like Art Jimmerson wearing a boxing glove and shoes, only to be taken down and subbed 90 secs in, 0 strikes landed
Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 7.46.25 PM.png

I don't feel bad

they missed out on a lot of growing pains

like Art Jimmerson wearing a boxing glove and shoes, only to be taken down and subbed 90 secs in, 0 strikes landed
View attachment 1037856
Thats the thing though...it only looks ridiculous in hindsight. At the time if you had asked most people who would win at least half and maybe more probably would have picked the boxer. And that would have included a lot of martial artists and obviously boxers.

These epiphany moments were falling like rains of gold coins at the time in terms of understanding realistic combat and we took it for granted; grappling; defense to grappling; kicking doesn't work; kicking does work if you master range, takedown defence etc etc etc.

heh heh 2002 account checks out.

I was maybe 10 in the mid nineties, so I witnessed the birth of MMA "live" . . . via Blockbuster VHS tapes. And it ruled so hard. I was only a kid at the time, but even then I was blow-away by basically seeing real life Van Damm movies, streetfighter/Mortal Kombat, martial arts "dream matches". I also recall not finding anything suspicious, disadvantageous, stupid, or even silly, whatsoever, with wearing one boxing glove to a "anything goes" cage fight.

Exactly. Like if you grew up on martial arts movies and games and one day it actually 'became real'. Then we saw generations of combat lore tested in real time.
maxresdefault-1.jpg
VanDamme1.jpgmortal.jpg

pankration.jpg

Last edited:
Thats the thing though...it only looks ridiculous in hindsight.
great post overall, however I can't say I agree with you as I watched with my dad who knew of Jimmerson as a light hw boxing contender in the late 80s

We both knew from the start of the fight that the one hand boxing glove approach was a bad call, gimmicky at best

i am sure ufc1 and those early days brought a vibe that i won't ever be able to experience. but there are people that experienced that and have been dead for awhile. they mised the era of jon jones vs. DC or BJ Penn's upset against Matt Hughes. It is what it is, thats just the circle of life, just apperciate the gift of the present moment instead of lamenting about the past or stressing about the future

Back