Movies DUNE: PART TWO (Release Pushed Back to March 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how many people hated the Berber chick character but loved Jason Momoa and the other Texas army bro dude (forgot his name, he played in No Country for Old Man).

The girl was super forgettable but the 2 aforementioned dudes were out of place with the whole "hi five, pal" and baseball jokes. That s my biggest gripe with the movie. It s a super serious setting with a very dark theme and greek mythology reference. These 2 dudes might work in Karate Kid or some Marvel comic shit but took away some of Dune's panache. I think that movie is otherwise a masterpiece.

I think it is a bad decesion and they will lose in the box office, loosing hype and steam by delays.

Waiting 3 years after the first part was on the slower side, all dark because of bad lighting aka 'natural lighting' that this auteur directors keep on using, seriously it needs to be watched on oled if you wanna see. Same like Nolan with his sound problem that everyone keeps telling him about it and he never fixes it.. sometimes they smell their own farts too much.

This and the other two Apple movies (Leo and Phoenix) are essentially what was left for the rest of the year.. for me at least.

Funny how many people hated the Berber chick character but loved Jason Momoa and the other Texas army bro dude (forgot his name, he played in No Country for Old Man).

The girl was super forgettable but the 2 aforementioned dudes were out of place with the whole "hi five, pal" and baseball jokes. That s my biggest gripe with the movie. It s a super serious setting with a very dark theme and greek mythology reference. These 2 dudes might work in Karate Kid or some Marvel comic shit but took away some of Dune's panache. I think that movie is otherwise a masterpiece.

I think brolin played gurney according to books since hes described as fairly funny guy (mix of music playing bard and psycho killer), theres a deleted scene of him playing music i remember being mentioned

Momoa was just momoa though lol

I CANT FUCKING WAIT. I knew nothing about the story before I watched the first film and it blew me away. And only gets better on rewatches. Every scene has so much nuance and world building in it - absolutely is just my type of film.

My favorite film in a long, long time and so much better than any other sci fi crap I’ve seen. Wish we could get more content from this world like we do star wars, star trek and avengers.

And only gets better on rewatches.

I really liked it the first time. I went in with nervous apprehension because I love the story so much, and it was really good, the absolute best expression of Dune we've yet seen by a wide margin.

I've seen it several times since the first and without the burden of expectation it keeps getting better every time.

People saying it's just an action film are wrong. It has that, certainly, but there are so many layers to this film the action is just for the casuals. Villeneuve definitely loves Dune and appreciated how difficult a story this was to film, he didn't waste energy trying to explain every detail of the Dune universe, which is a trap all the other expressions fell into, but there are echoes of those details everywhere. They're subtle.

People saying this is Lawrence of Arabia in space didn't understand Lawrence of Arabia or Dune, all they see is "white dude in the desert".

People complaining Jessica seemed weak are ignoring she only seems weak when she's surrendering to situations completely out of her control, and every time it's a conscious decision. She's deciding to let others decide their own fate when she could intervene. This was exactly the Jessica from the books. Her real weakness might have been following the will of the Bene Gesserit, which she had already chosen to ignore, but these are the choices she made in the original story and had to be respected here.

People complaining Chani is too central probably didn't read the books. Paul's dreams of her drove him to follow a destiny he knew would lead to ruin and her strength is why the most powerful man in the universe chose her to be his mate.

I'm going to mention a couple of "minor" details I really liked.

When Paul is clearly going to pass the Gom Jabbar test he gives the Reverand Mother a determined, arrogant look. This is the first sign of where his fate will lead him and why.

I also liked the exchange between Paul and Jamis before their duel. Jamis says "may your blade chip and shatter" and Paul responds with the Atreides salute, suggesting Paul is bound by the honor of his father's house. The Atreides name is the cornerstone of who he will become but it's just a façade, and taking his first life is the first step towards embracing his true identity.

I will say in my opinion that the soundtrack sucked if compared to 80s film

80s managed to get the mystical magical vibe better

I will say in my opinion that the soundtrack sucked if compared to 80s film

80s managed to get the mystical magical vibe better

I'v always been convinced Eno locked Toto in a cupboard and did the whole soundtrack himself.

I do think the Lynch film whilst not perfect is ultimately better, its not really that close an adaptation of Dune but just as a mystical quest in a very alien future I think it works very well, Lynch is the master at that kind of thing and I think the production design is more interesting playing up the future medievalism.

DV's film is much closer to the book in many respects BUT I feel it ends up depending on it rather too much for its drama rather than actually building the drama on screen, spends too much time on its action and having Momoa play an action hero.

Still doesnt seem like it really gets to grip with the politics of the book, its only half way though I spose but if anything it seems worse as it really plays up the "white savour" story by having Keynes character be a rather generic oppressed victim to save, the books story is ultimately "heros are bad".

I am somewhat hopeful part 2 will be better though as I think the storys rather less generic and less plot heavy, DV will probably need to make it rather slower paced and more character focused unless he goes crazy with the action at the end taking up half the runtime.

96%

96%
Nice. Already got my IMAX tickets for the Thursday it comes out.

Oh hey its coming out soon, might actually go to cinema again

MOD EDIT

Link to new thread below:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back