Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Open to criticism and advice.

My own self critique:
I flare my elbow when I jab
I drop my hands a lot
I don't move my head enough
I don't do enough different combos; jab, straight, hook cross is my main combo so I fall back on it too much
I'm slow
I don't know any kicks really outside of my low kick that I've practiced a lot with my right leg. Everything else is just me goofing around, trying new stuff that I have seen good fighters do. My teep sucks
My punching technique probably needs work but I'm not sure what I need to change.
Also, filthy disgusting garage.

Last edited:
props for putting yourself out there and trying.
but just from looking at it right away i think the best choice for you is to join a gym and get some real instruction because literally everything needs a lot of work.

no shade but you are very raw and need a knowledgeable coach to help you get the fundamentals down

props for putting yourself out there and trying.
but just from looking at it right away i think the best choice for you is to join a gym and get some real instruction because literally everything needs a lot of work.

no shade but you are very raw and need a knowledgeable coach to help you get the fundamentals down
There are not many gym options here. Any thing that you can advise to practice?

where are you located? maybe we could help you find something?

like i said above literally everything needs work from your stance and posture, footwork, punches, kicks etc.. it is all wrong and the more complex issue is that because they all have problems they all work together when you try and put it together to make even more mistakes.

if you re just trying to mess around on the bag for fitness try some cardio kickboxing or boxing routines

but if you are trying to learn boxing or muay thai etc.. you need someone to teach you because just words on the internet or instructionals arent going to get you the results you want.

Check out the Magnvs app. Tons of drills for shadow boxing, bag work, conditioning, fundamentals, pad work tutorials, live classes covering striking and jits. It’s 30 bucks a month and a good place to start until you can afford a gym.

I can kick you a link for a free week
also I saw this in another thread by one of the coaches active here
I generally don't put much value in online training but if he says it's good I'd say it would be worth it to check out

where are you located? maybe we could help you find something?

like i said above literally everything needs work from your stance and posture, footwork, punches, kicks etc.. it is all wrong and the more complex issue is that because they all have problems they all work together when you try and put it together to make even more mistakes.

if you re just trying to mess around on the bag for fitness try some cardio kickboxing or boxing routines

but if you are trying to learn boxing or muay thai etc.. you need someone to teach you because just words on the internet or instructionals arent going to get you the results you want.
I appreciate the feedback. Dang, it's a little disheartening. It was years ago but I did train with a legit coach in boxing. Guess I forgot everything. I will humble myself and start over.

I have seen doctor tacos videos and I am a fan. Do you have any training footage?

It's about 90 minutes away to a good gym, so a lot of driving.

Maybe too close to the bag. You kinda jam your own punches. Sit down your punches and turn your hip/shoulder. You are tall and you can reach the bag from further away. You can just jab for now. Do 2-3 minutes of jab only and keeping your hands up while moving/working the bag. Work on not crossing your feet and learning how to move in stance. You might have to do rounds just on footwork. There are other stuff too but it is best to get the basics down first.

I think best practice is go to a gym and practice more. Practicing on your own without correction tends to lead to bad habits. I apologize if I accidentally assumed you are a newbie but there are quite a few technical issues. I don't want to knit pick you to death because it is not constructive and it is just information overload. Just train more and get better.

Maybe too close to the bag. You kinda jam your own punches. Sit down your punches and turn your hip/shoulder. You are tall and you can reach the bag from further away. You can just jab for now. Do 2-3 minutes of jab only and keeping your hands up while moving/working the bag. Work on not crossing your feet and learning how to move in stance. You might have to do rounds just on footwork. There are other stuff too but it is best to get the basics down first.

I think best practice is go to a gym and practice more. Practicing on your own without correction tends to lead to bad habits. I apologize if I accidentally assumed you are a newbie but there are quite a few technical issues. I don't want to knit pick you to death because it is not constructive and it is just information overload. Just train more and get better.
I am a noobie. I've had instruction but it was years ago.

I will work on the things you mentioned. Hard to work in person with someone with work schedule and life demands but y'all know how that is.

Thanks for feedback

the heavy bag can teach a lot of bad habits . I would ignore it and first and foremost focus on footwork drills for at least a month , include single punches into these after a time and then move on to punching drills . If you have that down incorporate everything into shadowboxing routines.
Only then I would reenter heavy bag as a training option but even then prefer a double end.

There is a ton of content on YT about footwork, punch drills, movement drills...etc. I got better instruction about footwork, punch execution and movement by YT and this forum then my coaches aber they werent bad. The internet really can be incredible giving advice.

Last edited:
You're athletically strong just don't got that much technique. Not something in particular you do wrong you just need to go to a real gym for a period of time to be better at the sport.

Back