How does Cejudo vs Pantoja go?

RockyLockridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I think Cejudo's recent outings spell that he's simply too small for BW these days and guys like Sterling, Merab, O'malley, sandhagen, Song, Chito, are all just too big for Henry. He said he's not retiring but his future IMO, should be at flyweight.

I think this matchup (on paper) is in Cejudos favor. Pantojas striking is, to put it lightly, pretty damn bad. His ground game is rudimentary lay and pray.

Thoughts on this one? If henry sticks around like he says, would you rather see him at Flyweight or bantamweight? with the current state of flyweight, Cejudo might go directly to a title shot.

i tihnk phantasia beats cejudo.

cejudo wrestling has failed to translate to mma. phantasia ground game is amazing. he probably puts a clinic on cejudo.

i thikn henry options are limited these days. he might be a win away from facing omalley, but he probably gets a title show at flw immediately

I think Cejudo's recent outings spell that he's simply too small for BW these days and guys like Sterling, Merab, O'malley, sandhagen, Song, Chito, are all just too big for Henry. He said he's not retiring but his future IMO, should be at flyweight.

I think this matchup (on paper) is in Cejudos favor. Pantojas striking is, to put it lightly, pretty damn bad. His ground game is rudimentary lay and pray.

Thoughts on this one? If henry sticks around like he says, would you rather see him at Flyweight or bantamweight? with the current state of flyweight, Cejudo might go directly to a title shot.
I have to disagree with your assessment on both Pantoja's striking and grappling. I view both to be very good, particularly his grappling; I'd argue it's far above rudimentary. That's just my opinion though and you're welcome to yours Sherbro.

As for how a fight with Cejudo would look? I think at 125, Cejudo would have pretty damn good stamina, not that it was much of a problem at 135 (if at all) and he'd be a handful for Pantoja. As good as Pantoja's ground game is, I don't think he'd be taking down Cejudo. On the feet, it would be pretty close -- I'd say Cejudo would probably win by a hard fought decision.

cejudo is washed now so not good. prime cejudo probably wrestefucks him

If the UFC offered Cejudo a 125 title shot vs Pantoja, especially for NOV/DEC, I believe he could & would make the weight. He is only 5'3 after all.

I think it's a pick 'em fight & the UFC should offer it if they aren't going to bring back Horiguchi.

If the UFC offered Cejudo a 125 title shot vs Pantoja, especially for NOV/DEC, I believe he could & would make the weight. He is only 5'3 after all.

I think it's a pick 'em fight & the UFC should offer it if they aren't going to bring back Horiguchi.

Henry Cejudo is 37 & would be within a few months of his 38th birthday by then, he's way too old to fight at the elite level for a flyweight.

Prime for prime?

Cejudo’s karate/boxing style would be fantastic at controlling the footwork of Pantoja and his ability to wrestle at the highest level could help him actually steal rounds like Erceg tried. It’s hard not to favour Cejudo being able to dictate when the striking and grappling take place with his footwork and ability to control.

Now?

Pantoja appears to show signs of bad cardio but he keeps beating guys with amazing cardio in high paced fights. Cejudo might have big moments here and there but that weight cut will kill him and his cardio but I actually think Pantoja would be able to have similar success like he did against Moreno too. Pantoja has UGLY striking but his blitzes are so well timed that I think he forces his war of attrition and is just the more willing fighter to push a pace and win scrambles.

Cejudo vs Royval.

UFC matched him with one cardio monster… why not a smaller one?

Nah I don't think Mokaev is going to be able to step into a title shot off the Perez win so he needs one more fight, should be Royval vs Mokaev next.

Nobody cares about Cejudo in the title picture going forward, if he wants to stick around sure but he could either fight Moreno (at 135 who knows) or Aldo next.

Henry Cejudo is 37 & would be within a few months of his 38th birthday by then, he's way too old to fight at the elite level for a flyweight.
Elite athleticism is an aging hack. See Randy, DC, Aldo, Hendo, Yoel, Mighty Mouse etc.

He's 5'3 & is ballooned up at 135. If he lives outside this summer & changes his diet he'll shed the weight no problem.

Nah I don't think Mokaev is going to be able to step into a title shot off the Perez win so he needs one more fight, should be Royval vs Mokaev next.

Nobody cares about Cejudo in the title picture going forward, if he wants to stick around sure but he could either fight Moreno (at 135 who knows) or Aldo next.
Royval will beat the shit out of him.

they are going to keep him far far away from Royval, as he has already challenged pantoja twice.

They may do Erceg vs Mokaev though.... Only because I think people could be interested in the erceg rematch.... and if Mokaev wins, that's great too.

Elite athleticism is an aging hack. See Randy, DC, Aldo, Hendo, Yoel, Mighty Mouse etc.

He's 5'3 & is ballooned up at 135. If he lives outside this summer & changes his diet he'll shed the weight no problem.

Even pretending Cejudo could make the weight, he's still 37, coming off two losses and his stock is the lowest it's been in a long time. He's not someone the UFC wants to throw into a title shot without merit and they definitely don't want him becoming champion.

Prime Henry beats Pantoja relatively easily. But this isn't prime Henry. And calling Pantoja's striking "pretty dam bad" and his grappling "rudimentary" is absurd.

Also, Henry struggled to make 125 in his prime. He's now 37 and it's been more than 5 years since he made 125. I think he's disciplined enough to make the weight now, but at what cost? It certainly wouldn't be beneficial for his performance.

I think Cejudo beats him even today. Fascinating bout I've never really thought about though.

Back