If José Aldo would've gotten the shot vs Sterling instead of TJ, would he have won?

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Aldo was on a 3 fight win streak over Marlon Vera, Pedro Munhoz and Rob Font. Alot of people felt he deserved the titleshot but TJ got it instead.

How would've Aldo done against Sterling at UFC 280?

I think Aldo would've won. That's why im asking the question. Great style matchup for him.

Aljo probably would've did the Merab & grind him on the fence for 15-25 mins. Neither man has great cardio for rounds 4 & 5 so I don't think Sterling would gas(relative to competition).

Aldo definitely would've done better than 1-armed TJ that's for sure.

Last edited:
No, Baldo would have gotten grapplefucked.

Sucks he couldn't do the Cejudo fight, but he would've gotten grapplefucked there too.

Aldo was on a 3 fight win streak over Marlon Vera, Pedro Munhoz and Rob Font. Alot of people felt he deserved the titleshot but TJ got it instead.

How would've Aldo done against Sterling at UFC 280?

I think Aldo would've won. That's why im asking the question. Great style matchup for him.
Yeah i’ve always considered Aldo to be a very bad matchup for Sterling, Merab pretty much protected Sterling by beating Aldo by holding him up against the fence for three rounds.

IMG_2407.jpeg

Yeah I think Aldo takes him

I love Aldo, but sterling would have clinched him against the cage the majority of the fight until old man aldo gassed. People say that's a bad match up for Sterling, but I see it as a bad match up for Aldo.

Now if we're talking about 2012 Aldo, I'd pick him all day.

I love Aldo, but sterling would have clinched him against the cage the majority of the fight until old man aldo gassed. People say that's a bad match up for Sterling, but I see it as a bad match up for Aldo.

Now if we're talking about 2012 Aldo, I'd pick him all day.
Sterlings gas tank at 145 sucked though. That's why i found this matchup so fascinating for Aldo

Sterlings gas tank at 145 sucked though. That's why i found this matchup so fascinating for Aldo

I think he had enough to wall and stall for 3 rounds and Aldo's cardio is just as bad, if not worse when grappling is involved. I think it would have been another boring, but competitive win for Sterling and fans would hate and complain about it.

I think he had enough to wall and stall for 3 rounds and Aldo's cardio is just as bad, if not worse when grappling is involved. I think it would have been another boring, but competitive win for Sterling and fans would hate and complain about it.
I could see how Sterling would dominate because of size though. He's a featherweight now. Aldo is doing work at bantamweight. I thought Aljo looked great vs Kattar at his natural weight class.

With all this said Aljo vs Aldo at 135 would've ended with Aldo whopping that ass imo.

Sterling's stand-up is trash, so that wouldn't work out for him.
Don't know if he can impose a clinch game like Merab did.
Would be very hard to take Aldo down. But at the end of the day it would be an older Aldo. Coinflip honestly.

Aldo wrecks him. Better stand up and Aljo doesn't have the takedown ability to overcome Aldos TDD

Aldo would've then beaten TJ as well.

Sucks UFC doesn't care for Aldo
Unfortunately, this was already the case before Conor arrived. After that he got really fucked up. For more than one occation. Fuck the bald goof!

Back