Jose Aldo NOT retiring Still Eying Bantamweight Title - Can He Do it?

He says he's still chasing the title and he'll sit down with Dana.

Can he get it? I'd favor him over O'Malley right now.

Man, I love Aldo. His recent win was impressive, but I don't think he has what it takes to get the strap back. Best I can hope for are more fun fights. Maybe even a couple more T/KO's. But I don't see him getting the strap back. I'd certainly jump out of my seat and scream if he pulls it off though.

a true fan would want him to retire. he's washed, can't beat anyone in the top ten and will ruin his own legacy. He's old and deteriorated to the point of no return and will have serious medical issues in the future if he doesn't retire. Doesn't he have a real close friend to tell him the hard truth? Why is he doing this to himself?

Aldo needs a Joe Rogan/Brendan Schaub moment...

I do think he's washed but he just easily beat #12, & looking at the top 10, I think he can definitely beat some of them. Even washed Aldo in yr 18 lost a competitive decision to #1 challenger Merab. Some of the other old washed up guys got badly knocked out many fights in a row, so I understand why people are concerned for legends taking beatings late in their career

No. He can't. But he's still a legend. He's still the Featherweight GOAT. He's still a great fighter.

Please give us all the Cruz fight and make it five rounds.

Cruz, Cejudo or Figgy. If he smashes one of them I wouldn't be against a number 1 contenders bout. I don't think there will be a line after Sandhagen/Umar get the winner of Merab vs Omalley.

I like his chances against OMalley, honestly. He’s arguably the cleanest boxer of anyone OMalley has faced. I know for the last few years of Aldos career everyone wanted the leg kick Aldo of old to come back. He would have no choice but to fight that way against Sean. I think he would turn seans legs into hamburger by the midway point of round 2. If he can significantly inhibit Sean’s lateral/stabbing movement I don’t think he have much problems…or maybe he gets KTFO. Either way, give the king the swan song he deserves, one more chance at gold.

a true fan would want him to retire. he's washed, can't beat anyone in the top ten and will ruin his own legacy. He's old and deteriorated to the point of no return and will have serious medical issues in the future if he doesn't retire. Doesn't he have a real close friend to tell him the hard truth? Why is he doing this to himself?

Aldo needs a Joe Rogan/Brendan Schaub moment...

He stuffed, what, 16 takedown attempts from Merab in his last loss to the guy everyone has been avoiding like the plague. The #1 contender for years. Was wall n stalled to a lame decision. You act like he’s Chuck Liddell lol

Not a 5rounder - at this point he'd gas and get tko'd.

I think he should retire from mma and go to boxing. Nothing left to prove.

If he decides to return maybe some less dangerous 3rd fights - Dom, CCC, rematch with Yan.

less dangerous fights and you name Yan and CCC? lol

His gastank probably won't hold up in a title fight but he's a threat to anybody who can't push the pace on him in a 3 round fight.

I doubt it. He can’t go past a certain gear. He is a 2 round fighter that can’t finish.

Nah.

He just fought a guy who was scared to fight him and spent almost 15 mins doing nothing except letting Aldo dictate the entire pace of the fight. Other fighters aren't going to let him do that.

He's just gonna get worked by other fighters and slow down and lose.

The problem is he has already fought everyone

He's fought Volk, Max, Chito, Yan.

Maybe fights with Cejudo/Cruz would be good. Or a super fight type deal against Pantoja.

Or just keep fighting fun fights like he did tonight. Hell I guess let him fight OMalley if he beats Merab, or even if he loses.
He already lost to Merab

Wouldn't be surprised if he got a title shot actually, UFC would probably want to give Sean a break between all the wrestlers he's about to get thrown at him. Sean is a bad matchup for Aldo without kicks. So don't think he can win a title.

I love Aldo. He's one of my favorite MMA fighters of all time. Unfortunately, I don't think another title run will turn out well for him. If he does go for it, I hope he has the common sense and the will to pull the plug and retire before he runs up a ridiculous string of losses like so many others.

I thought this was his last fight under contract, and he was looking to move into boxing as a free agent. This might be his chance to negotiate one more big deal with the UFC. I'm not sure if they do 3-fight deals, but that seems perfect for Aldo. Maybe a fight with Cejudo or Cruz, a title shot, and then one final bout in Rio.

I could totally se OMalley hand picking him for a shot to add Jose name to his resume.

Other than that give Aldo fun matchups... feed him Cruz please.

Love me some Aldo, but I don’t think he has anything for O’Malley.

He’s too big, and Aldo brings no takedown threat, so O’Malley can just sit at range and tee off.
Yeah, age and physiology are real things. Aldo is still good enough to beat most BWs, but not everyone. If he were 10 years younger, that's a very different story.

I could totally se OMalley hand picking him for a shot to add Jose name to his resume.

Other than that give Aldo fun matchups... feed him Cruz please.
Waste of a fight. Cruz style doesn't age well, especially with all the ACL problems. Maybe Cejudo, if Aldo is going to fight someone around his age.

Back