Knock down on the ropes

People moaning about the ref need to look at the whole fight. He didn’t favour fury, in fact he broke it up quickly everytime fury tried to lean and hold. I’ve never read the boxing rule book but it seems like a correct call for a knockdown if the only thing keeping the fighter up is the ropes

With all the pre fight concerns about what the ref would let fury get away with, he actually did a really good job

the ref did an excellent job in this fight, you whining fucks are ridiculous.

the rules clearly state that getting rocked and only being held up by the ropes means a knockdown. it's not debatable, and this was the most clear cut example we can possibly think of.

Fury gets KO then the fight will not end in 12 rounds. But it appears in the scores the fight is very close.

The more I watch the replay, the more I believe the ref absolutely should've ended the fight there. Fury literally COULD NOT put his hands up, that's how paralyzed he was. If a fighter ever gets to that moment you have to end the fight as they're not intelligently defending themselves.

Fury got very lucky.

The more I watch the replay, the more I believe the ref absolutely should've ended the fight there. Fury literally COULD NOT put his hands up, that's how paralyzed he was. If a fighter ever gets to that moment you have to end the fight as they're not intelligently defending themselves.

Fury got very lucky.

100% agree... he was not fit to continue, the fact that the round was over shouldn't weigh into a refs decision.

That said, It's shocking how Fury wasn't smart enough to simply take a knee after the first couple big shots. He's usually more ring savvy than that. A few less shots to the dome and he may have been able to win the rest of the fight and the decision--but he was so battered that he didn't get his wits back until halfway through the 11th.

100% agree... he was not fit to continue, the fact that the round was over shouldn't weigh into a refs decision.

That said, It's shocking how Fury wasn't smart enough to simply take a knee after the first couple big shots. He's usually more ring savvy than that. A few less shots to the dome and he may have been able to win the rest of the fight and the decision--but he was so battered that he didn't get his wits back until halfway through the 11th.

Fury got very lucky.
to me if a ref let´s it go and the fighter ends up being competitive till the end it means it´s a good call. As long as they are ready by the 8-9 count. Def not a stoppage in my book. The Wilder knockdown was iffy based on the speed of counting. Very iffy. But Fury is a tough guy.

The ref followed the rules. At first I thought it was an out of place in the pros standing 8 due to Fury being battered around the ring & hurt bad. I saw him fall into the ropes but didn't see he was held up by them or out on them. When multiple people said the ropes held him up from the knockdown the ref followed the rules.

Its just a weird time & weird fight to enforce a rule that doesn't get enforced consistently.

A lot of people including Fury's buddy Chisora are complaining about the count again though. Interesting.

to me if a ref let´s it go and the fighter ends up being competitive till the end it means it´s a good call. As long as they are ready by the 8-9 count. Def not a stoppage in my book. The Wilder knockdown was iffy based on the speed of counting. Very iffy. But Fury is a tough guy.

The ends don't justify the means. If there was more than 10 seconds left in that round, Fury would have taken unnecessary punishment on way to being knocked unconscious.

Fury got very lucky.
Fury was also lucky that the ref didn't ask him to walk toward him either.

Fury was given about 75 seconds to recover. Keep in mind, not all knockouts are blackout knockouts ala Ricky Hatton vs Manny Pacquiao.

Also, the point is a bit moot because had Fury taken a savage beaten or gotten knocked out in the later round, it would've been seen as the ref malpractice.
The ref followed the rules. At first I thought it was an out of place in the pros standing 8 due to Fury being battered around the ring & hurt bad. I saw him fall into the ropes but didn't see he was held up by them or out on them. When multiple people said the ropes held him up from the knockdown the ref followed the rules.

Its just a weird time & weird fight to enforce a rule that doesn't get enforced consistently.

A lot of people including Fury's buddy Chisora are complaining about the count again though. Interesting.
What I'm more concerned about is that Fury wasn't defending himself. Both his arms went limp. He couldn't lift them and he didn't try to hold. By definition, he's not intelligently defending himself and the ref should've stopped it.

Reactions: HHJ
Fury was given about 75 seconds to recover. Keep in mind, not all knockouts are blackout knockouts ala Ricky Hatton vs Manny Pacquiao.

Also, the point is a bit moot because had Fury taken a savage beaten or gotten knocked out in the later round, it would've been seen as the ref malpractice.

What I'm more concerned about is that Fury wasn't defending himself. Both his arms went limp. He couldn't lift them and he didn't try to hold. By definition, he's not intelligently defending himself and the ref should've stopped it.
He was actually not even looking at Usyk when the referee stepped into start the count.

boom.PNG

Actually looks like Usyk pulled his punch. Did they agree to no KOs.
tbh, i kinda agree. i felt like both guys couldve pushed forward for a finish a couple diff times, but opted to lay off and keep the fight going.

The only thing I don't like about the "ropes kept him up knockdown" rule is that its not used consistently.

Agreed. Had it been used consistently, Jermell would have lost Castano I.

He was actually not even looking at Usyk when the referee stepped into start the count.

View attachment 1044368
Because he picked up the count outside ringside ,However what’s really shady is the referee literally grabbed Furys arm and helped him back to the corner walked him over there on shaky legs , that’s some WWE script. Lol

Reactions: HHJ
Looked like there were a few instances fury could've been stopped/KOd there. If he was a shorter man he would've fallen through the ropes.

the ref did an excellent job in this fight, you whining fucks are ridiculous.

the rules clearly state that getting rocked and only being held up by the ropes means a knockdown. it's not debatable, and this was the most clear cut example we can possibly think of.

The ref gave him benefit of the doubt the first time he bounced off the ropes in that exchange (consistent with the way the rule is usually interpreted) and when it kept happening to become blatantly obvious he called it. Fair enough

Back