Mud Wrestlers of Indian

Fighting and grappling is an instinctive part of the human - the primate, even - experience. Watch bunches of chimps fighting and you'll see striking and grappling there too. It is far more likely that martial art traditions have evolved more or less wherever there are humans because we always fight and there's only so many ways of doing stuff.

This becomes abundandly clear when you watch animals with a roughly humanoid body shape fight each other. They'll actually use the same grappling techniques as humans do.

This becomes abundandly clear when you watch animals with a roughly humanoid body shape fight each other. They'll actually use the same grappling techniques as humans do.

That's interesting. On a related note, sometimes I unleash my inner Dagestani and have my 5 year old daughter grapple my 3 year old son. It's interesting to note that my son really behaves like a wrestler in that he instinctively drops and tries to bear hug the waist area and then proceeds to circle to get the back and drag my daughter to the floor.

My daughter started judo recently and somehow wired herself to use judo techniques. She spontaneously goes for o uchi gari, uki goshi and to my astonishment, pulled a perfect uchi mata on her brother the other day. Maybe judo is not as counterintuitive as what we think?

Anyways it's pretty cool to observe children grapple.

Back