Spoilers Official ELDEN RING Discussion [PS/PC/Xbox]

Your Elden Ring Waifu:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I always chuckle when people think Miyazaki is some storytelling wizard. I love, love, LOVE their games, their worldbuilding and how he tells stories through design, I really do. But to think Miyazaki is some PT Anderson of the video game industry lol.

But compared to other stories in games, you could say they are 'good'. There's a saying about writers in the gaming industry and why it's more often than not complete dogshit. "If they were any better at their job, they'd be working in the movie industry." That's not a knock on them, but a reality nonetheless.
Storytelling in gaming is poor. Way behind film and literature. The things you can get away with in gaming, cant work in film: metal gear solid, uncharted (retail indiana jones), assassin’s creed.

Miyazaki at least takes an author’s approach to writing leaving some elements up to the reader’s imagination

Last edited:
I like From Software but some of their fans really overrate their games especially when it comes to the story. I saw one poster here claiming they are the GOAT at world building or some nonsense like that.
Yeah. That was me. And i still stand by that statement

I'm not going to say anything negative about From Software, but The Elder Scrolls is one of the most complex narrative worlds ever created in videogames-- possibly the most. World of Warcraft is probably its prime competition. Morrowind took in-game storytelling to new heights:
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Books

470 books you found just wandering around picking objects up off shelves filled with historical lore: most of them containing well over 1,000 words. That's about half a dozen novels worth of content, and that doesn't even include character dialogue, journal entries, or quest logs. It isn't a simple narrative of a good and evil, either. It involves nobility & great houses, families, trade, wealth, dilapidated civilizations, species/race struggles, geography, blights, romances, past heroes and their legacies, tangled tapestries of political alliances, and much more.

Are you one of those guys who pretends he picks up Dostoevsky "for some light reading", or something?
I've noticed a recent trend of people turning against The Elder Scrolls, especially Skyrim, which I think is misplaced anger at Bethesda for not turning out a decent product in some years. I've only played Dark Souls 3 (albeit hundreds of hours of it) and the story always seems to take a background. You can treat it as an RPG/skill-building boss killer, or you can get engaged in the story through items, NPCs, and wikis. It's arguable which direction being able to ignore the story takes the quality. I'd say their setup is nice, and the execution varies.

I've noticed a recent trend of people turning against The Elder Scrolls, especially Skyrim, which I think is misplaced anger at Bethesda for not turning out a decent product in some years. I've only played Dark Souls 3 (albeit hundreds of hours of it) and the story always seems to take a background. You can treat it as an RPG/skill-building boss killer, or you can get engaged in the story through items, NPCs, and wikis. It's arguable which direction being able to ignore the story takes the quality. I'd say their setup is nice, and the execution varies.
I never could get into elder scrolls, I felt like Witcher 3 took what they tried to do and made it perfect.

I was wondering why it took so long for a proper GOT game to come out.

If done properly, it could be amazing. GRRM's world has a ton of lore to draw from. Especially if you want to expand upon the mostly unknown Essos or Sothoryos.

I never could get into elder scrolls, I felt like Witcher 3 took what they tried to do and made it perfect.

I liked Witcher 3 and the lore, story, etc. Its world building doesnt hold a candle to something like Skyrim, imo. You could literally get lost in the Elder Scrolls games and I cant count the number of times I turned a corner or entered a new location and gasped in surprise.

Blackreach.bmp

Exploring this underground city was an amazing experience that filled me with wonder. W3 never came close to anything like that. It didnt seem like a whole game world as much as a big map with lots of fun things to do.

ol GRR is risking a public lynching if he doesnt stop fucking around with side jobs and finish the last two goddamn books

The problem is, the announcement GRRM is never going to finish the books is the announcement of his death.

Its really hard to lynch a corpse.

The problem is, the announcement GRRM is never going to finish the books is the announcement of his death.

Its really hard to lynch a corpse.
this one time....we will make the exception and do it anyway

I do not beleive anything can be finished if George Martin is involved in it.

"Might be nearly finished" - George RR Martin.
FromSoft gets things done fast, so I have faith in them lol. If someone else takes the reins from GRRM, it gets done. hence why GoT is being finished before the actually books it was based on

Last edited:
From Software games in the DS era are vastly overrated.

Graphics that look like PS3 era, a weird fascination with difficulty, elitism in fans, etc.

Give me my armored core back.

Graphics that look like PS3 era, a weird fascination with difficulty, elitism in fans, etc.

Not liking something as much as other people doesn’t make something overrated.

FromSoft is the New Square Enix(but better). deal with it

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls I and Dark Souls II ARE PS3 era games. People have always enjoyed being challenged in games and the Souls games have innovated quite a lot. There was NOTHING on the market like Demon's Souls when it released. It was a true grassroots, word of mouth success (even Sony regretted not pushing it harder) and it was exciting when it released because none of us knew what we were doing and had a lot of fun figuring things out together.

Every fanbase has elitists yet if you actually knew what you're talking about, you'd realize that the vast majority of the community is actually very, very welcoming to newcomers and quite a few fans of the games are helpful and get excited when new players start their first run and overcome hurdles in the games.

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls I and Dark Souls II ARE PS3 era games. People have always enjoyed being challenged in games and the Souls games have innovated quite a lot. There was NOTHING on the market like Demon's Souls when it released. It was a true grassroots, word of mouth success (even Sony regretted not pushing it harder) and it was exciting when it released because none of us knew what we were doing and had a lot of fun figuring things out together.

Every fanbase has elitists yet if you actually knew what you're talking about, you'd realize that the vast majority of the community is actually very, very welcoming to newcomers and quite a few fans of the games are helpful and get excited when new players start their first run and overcome hurdles in the games.

The elitism in the Soulsborne community is without parallel. It is based on difficulty and the community is cancerous to say the least.

Also, I have played bloodborne and DS 3...and I must say that I've been playing games like these for ages. Third person action with RPG elements. Sure, the controls are responsive (they feel tight to me, but not especially OMG), the storytelling is quite oblique which can go either way, etc. The atmosphere is nice, but I've played series like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy, so I wasn't especially wowed there either.

Back