Tell me about Tennessee...

I’ve never been. But I do sometimes fantasize about retiring early, selling my house, and moving out to some home in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee (or wherever), and just sitting on my porch drinking bourbon all day. Until I die of cirrhosis, of course.

I’ve never been. But I do sometimes fantasize about retiring early, selling my house, and moving out to some home in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee (or wherever), and just sitting on my porch drinking bourbon all day. Until I die of cirrhosis, of course.
Not a bad plan. Just avoid the dry counties, and obviously Memphis.

How is the Murfreesboro area?
Crowded as fuck. Anywhere around a 30 - 40 mile radius of Nashville is a pain. Not because we're suddenly the Bay area, but because our roads and infra have have not been updated. There are still lots of 1 way in/1way out in high growth areas.

Crowded as fuck. Anywhere around a 30 - 40 mile radius of Nashville is a pain. Not because we're suddenly the Bay area, but because our roads and infra have have not been updated. There are still lots of 1 way in/1way out in high growth areas.
Thanks...I have family looking to retire in the area...Seems like a college town ain't the place to choose.

I've never been but a coworker moved there recently. He got a house with land and a river through his property outside of Chattanooga for CHEAP. He loves it there.

In 3rd grade we had to do one of those things where you catch bugs and pin them onto a piece of Styrofoam. Living in Vegas people had crickets, ants and maybe small flies. One of the girls went to Tennessee and came back with some shit that looked like it came out of Jurassic Park. Scared the hell out of the whole class from going to Tennessee lmao.

Last edited:

Is it cheap to live there?

Everywhere I go, there is a Tennessee style chicken sandwich. Even halal places are doing Tennessee style chicken and BBQ. That few people mentioned moving their for blue collar work and it's still old school. I have no idea if that is true or not.

Good boxing mma place?
Nashville like chicken is a spicy type of chicken. I like spice but never found the style that great. Give it a shot though. To each their own

Everywhere I go, there is a Tennessee style chicken sandwich. Even halal places are doing Tennessee style chicken and BBQ. That few people mentioned moving their for blue collar work and it's still old school. I have no idea if that is true or not.

Good boxing mma place?
It legitimately does not exist.

Thanks...I have family looking to retire in the area...Seems like a college town ain't the place to choose.
I wouldn't call Nashville a college town at all even though Vanderbilt is there. It is a very desired location and several Fortune 500 companies are headquartered there.

Tennessee is a large state and has very different regions. East Tennessee/Knoxville are close to the Smoky Mountains so you will get great scenery and access to hiking/outdoor activities. Nashville and the surrounding area is definitely more cosmopolitan with a lot of country mixed in. Memphis is more typically southern and more Mississippi than Tennesse but the BBQ is great there.

Nashville like chicken is a spicy type of chicken. I like spice but never found the style that great. Give it a shot though. To each their own

I did and I liked it. I asked Chatgpt and the response:

Nashville chicken has gained popularity in recent years and can be found on menus at restaurants across the United States and even internationally. It's a beloved comfort food for many, offering a satisfyingly crispy texture and a kick of heat that keeps diners coming back for more.

I wouldn't call Nashville a college town at all even though Vanderbilt is there. It is a very desired location and several Fortune 500 companies are headquartered there.

Tennessee is a large state and has very different regions. East Tennessee/Knoxville are close to the Smoky Mountains so you will get great scenery and access to hiking/outdoor activities. Nashville and the surrounding area is definitely more cosmopolitan with a lot of country mixed in. Memphis is more typically southern and more Mississippi than Tennesse but the BBQ is great there.

I was referring to Murfreesboro as a college town....Thanks very much for the info!

I did and I liked it. I asked Chatgpt and the response:

Nashville chicken has gained popularity in recent years and can be found on menus at restaurants across the United States and even internationally. It's a beloved comfort food for many, offering a satisfyingly crispy texture and a kick of heat that keeps diners coming back for more.
To be fare... I only tried it once. Maybe give another place a try. Cheers bud.

I was referring to Murfreesboro as a college town....Thanks very much for the info!
Murfreesboro as a whole isn't a college town. Where MTSU is located (which has the highest enrollment of any school in TN), it's not any more crowded than elsewhere. Most of the college towns in the SE are smaller than the Boro.

To be fare... I only tried it once. Maybe give another place a try. Cheers bud.

Oh yeah, its really good!

Even Subway introduced a Nashville style chicken:
Screenshot_8-5-2024_1847_www.google.ca.jpeg

I believe so.

I always got the impression that its a place for no nonsense blue collar workers and folks that like to dirt bike and live outdoors as oppose to modern era. I know its sounds silly but in my head, I picture the place as if its still in the mid-2000s in terms of having the same community of people getting together.

Back