Television THE RINGS OF POWER (Only 37% of Viewers Finished the Series, post #1917)

If you have watched the entire season one of RINGS OF POWER, how do you feel about it?

• Total voters
smile-creepy-smile.gif

Go woke, go broke

I'm not talking about the actors, either

With 1 billion dollars, they could've hired a renowned director and script writer.

After finishing the first season, I was like meh. I then wondered to myself what idiot thought it was a good idea to run this against House of the Dragon which is leaps and bounds better?

I have a lot of woke business contacts on my FB and that was a weekly cope session for them trying to justify watching RoP and dreaming up ways HotD was 'toxic.'

Update: April 5, 2023

Report: Only 37% of Viewers Finished Watching the First Season of THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RINGS OF POWER

4VvpYfK.png

It’s long been an open secret that Jeff Bezos has yearned for his own Game of Thrones, and that Amazon’s big swing as it reached for its own massive hit was The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, believed to be the most expensive series ever made.

Last September, the show began with a bang, delivering the biggest debut ever on the streamer in what Amazan Studios chief Jennifer Salke called “a very culturally defining moment” for the company. But when season one wrapped, the show was less defining than hoped, falling short of being the breakout hit that Amazon had envisioned.

While Amazon, like other streamers, provides only limited data — and internally, it held information even more closely than usual on the series — sources confirm that The Rings of Power had a 37 percent domestic completion rate (customers who watched the entire series). Overseas, it reached 45 percent. (A 50 percent completion rate would be a solid but not spectacular result, according to insiders). The show has not been a major awards contender, either, overlooked by the major guilds with the exception of one SAG-AFTRA nomination for stunt ensemble.

But according to Salke, the series has worked. “This desire to paint the show as anything less than a success — it’s not reflective of any conversation I’m having internally,” she says. The second season, currently in production, will have more dramatic story turns, she adds. “That’s a huge opportunity for us. The first season required a lot of setting up.”

Data from Nielsen on minutes watched reveals that when it comes to original shows generally, Amazon has lagged. In 2022, Netflix hoovered up the top 10 spots for original streaming series, with Amazon’s The Boys in 11th place — ahead of The Rings of Power at No. 15. Using the same measurement, none of the top 15 originals of 2021 came from Amazon. (Netflix again took all the slots except for Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale in 10th place, Apple’s Ted Lasso at 12, and Disney+’s WandaVision in the 14th spot.)

Many current and former Amazon executives, as well as showrunners who have series at the streamer and agents who make deals there, believe that this is no accident. They describe Amazon Studios as a confusing and frustrating place to do business. When it comes to movies, where Amazon’s footprint is expanding following the $8.5 billion acquisition of MGM a year ago, a veteran producer says that, in recent years, “there has been no sense of what the philosophy is.”

On the series side, numerous sources say they cannot discern what kind of material Salke and head of television Vernon Sanders want to make. A showrunner with ample experience at the studio says, “There’s no vision for what an Amazon Prime show is. You can’t say, ‘They stand for this kind of storytelling.’ It’s completely random what they make and how they make it.” Another showrunner with multiple series at Amazon finds it baffling that the streamer hasn’t had more success: Amazon has “more money than God,” this person says. “If they wanted to produce unbelievable television, they certainly have the resources to do it.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...on-studios-jen-salke-vision-shows-1235364913/
holy fuck. absolutely devastating.
but it's expected. it was an absolute shitshow.

I never finished it either. I think I watched one and a half episodes. Just bad. There is just no way to describe this as good television.

This isn't really a fair headline without context. I thought the show was disjointed and pretty mediocre overall, although I did like a lot of things about it.

This is one of the most famous IP's in the world, so a lot of people just tuned it to see what it was all about. When you attract a large casuals audience who aren't necessarily avid TV watchers, you'd expect to see a larger drop off. In addition, some people were hate watching it for political reasons and/or content with no intention of watching to the end. Certainly didn't help that House of the Dragon ran concurrently either. Lastly, what is a good completion rate to compare with? What is other shows having right now? The article says 50%, so with the context added, what does that say?

It's probably safe to say that the show didn't turn out as well as Amazon had hoped, but it was without a doubt a ratings success.

I didnt watch the last episode but I was teetering towards the edge of rage quitting long before that. I liked the stuff that didnt have to do with the humans or elves. Actually I fucking HATED it.

I enjoyed the Hobbits/Dwarves stuff,despite em being forcibly diversified as fuck.

but it was without a doubt a ratings success.
LMAO, no it wasn't.

article says this - "While Amazon, like other streamers, provides only limited data — and internally, it held information even more closely than usual on the series — sources confirm that The Rings of Power had a 37 percent domestic completion rate (customers who watched the entire series). Overseas, it reached 45 percent. (A 50 percent completion rate would be a solid but not spectacular result, according to insiders). "

Didn't know that type of stat was disclosed. Is that the one with Rosamund Pike? I didn't finish it because I watched El Cid instead and then my subscription expired.

I watched the whole season. I can't believe they paid all that money and that was the outcome. They stayed in Númenor far too long, then did some fast travel to the finale. The acting and storylines were subpar. They should have invested in better show runners and talent. Like everyone else has said House of Dragon running concurrently really emphasized the difference in quality.

LMAO, no it wasn't.

article says this - "While Amazon, like other streamers, provides only limited data — and internally, it held information even more closely than usual on the series — sources confirm that The Rings of Power had a 37 percent domestic completion rate (customers who watched the entire series). Overseas, it reached 45 percent. (A 50 percent completion rate would be a solid but not spectacular result, according to insiders). "
Yes, it was. Even if it underperformed as far as completion rate goes, that tells us nothing about how many people actually watched the show. It tells us that the show had issues retaining the majority of viewers throughout the series, which is in part due to the context I talked about (and that the show wasn't that good). A show could have 100% completion rate, but that wont matter if only 10 people watched it.

RoP had one of the largest season premieres in history and was watched by more than 100.000.000 people throughout. Critically it had a lukewarm reception yes, but ratings wise it was a success. Not the generational hit that Amazon had hoped for definitely, but a success nonetheless. Season 2 however may not do as well unless they manage to improve the quality of the show.

Yes, it was. Even if it underperformed as far as completion rate goes, that tells us nothing about how many people actually watched the show. It tells us that the show had issues retained the majority of viewers throughout the series, which is in part where the context I talked about matters. A show could have 100% completion rate, but that wont be very important if only 10 people watched it.

RoP had one of the largest season premieres in history and was watched by more than 100.000.000 people throughout. Critically it had a lukewarm reception yes, but ratings wise it was a success. Not the generational hit that Amazon had hoped for definitely, but a success nonetheless. Season 2 however may not do as well unless they manage to improve the quality of the show.
no it wasn't. surest way to see it is that Amazon didn't brag about it. they would have pushed it everywhere if it was a success, and the silence is deafening. in terms of completion rates, more than half didn't even bother to finish, while among those who watched it, like me, the opinion isn't that great.
claiming it was a RATINGS success when 63% of the people starting it in america didn't even bother to finish it, and 55% of the ones internationally also didn't is hilarious gaslighting. come on now.

Go woke, go broke

I'm not talking about the actors, either

With 1 billion dollars, they could've hired a renowned director and script writer.

House of the Dragon proved that most normies won't give a shit about "diverse casting" if the story is good. It's mainly dorks on YouTube who'll do the most complaining.

The issue here is that they hired a bunch of totally inexperienced writers who weren't Tolkien fans and blew off help from Peter Jackson.

The issue here is that they hired a bunch of totally inexperienced writers who weren't Tolkien fans and blew off help from Peter Jackson.
They even talked about that they refused Jackson because he respects the source material and wanted to do the show based on the world Tolkien developed (well because thats what the show was meant to be) but what they wanted (they actual said that) was bring Tolkien into the 21 century by bringing their political agenda m bias and hypocrisies into the show and basically just use middle earth as a place holder. THats why it tanked. It wasnt a show about what people want to see but what they wanted the people to see. Same reason why disney goes down right now.

House of the Dragon proved that most normies won't give a shit about "diverse casting" if the story is good. It's mainly dorks on YouTube who'll do the most complaining.

Very true and most recently it didn't hurt The Last of Us either having a diversive cast

Back