Thoughts on Myktybek Orolbai?

irimiasz

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm curious what you guys think about his second performance against Brener (after pretty much a flawless debut against Medic).
He had a really great first round when he dominated with his grappling and strength, but then somehow lost steam. Still won dominantly against a very dangerous opponent, but it was hard to understand his reluctance to strike given that he kept losing some of the later scrambles, and it looked like he could've easily outstrike or even TKO Brener at that point (pretty similar to what Erceg did in the main event, but with lesser consequences).
Where's his ceiling in 155?

Elves was a dangerous opponent, he did manage well but didnt seem like he is one of the clever guys out there

He needs to learn English or stay with Russian speaking coaches.

There were 2 coaches in his corner barking instructions in English at the same time and he had to wait for the translator to relay it back to him.
The translator gave instructions from coach #2, but not Uriah Faber.
The gameplan wasn't implemented properly because of the language barrier.

Brazil tried to rob him of his win by deducting a point without warning all of a sudden but it still was not enough and Elvis Brenner is a tough as hell guy to beat.

Some of these guys are straight up cheat codes, he looked incredibly strong, has power in his hands, good chin himself and was somehow less gassed than Elves Brenner near to the end of the fight.

His fight IQ is horrible and he doesn't have the mat grappling to be so confident in getting it to the floor like he wants. He could have KOd Brener standing... Faber was having a stroke in the corner. He will still be a tough out for most LWs and could get ranked but I don't see him sniffing top 5 or top 10

He's beaten two extremely tough opponents. How can you not be impressed?

I'd say the only thing i'm not impressed with is his fight IQ. Seemed to keep hurting Brener with strikes, and then instantly put himself in a bad position. Kept struggling in grappling exchanges, yet instantly grappled every time he would connect with a good strike. It made no sense.

I'm curious what you guys think about his second performance against Brener (after pretty much a flawless debut against Medic).
He had a really great first round when he dominated with his grappling and strength, but then somehow lost steam. Still won dominantly against a very dangerous opponent, but it was hard to understand his reluctance to strike given that he kept losing some of the later scrambles, and it looked like he could've easily outstrike or even TKO Brener at that point (pretty similar to what Erceg did in the main event, but with lesser consequences).
Where's his ceiling in 155?
Skills looked fantastic.
Fight IQ/game plan was very questionable.
Gorgeous Eurasian Neanderthal face 😍😍😍

Orolbai actually visited the gym I train at last year before he made his ufc debut, and I got the chance to work with him and do a few stand up sparring rounds with him. He's a scary dude, glad I didn't do any grappling rounds with him

Myktybek, Brener, Guram and Rebecki are top4 LW prospects. Their ceiling is high. I think all four will be ranked sooner or later.

Truly one of a kind. Orolbai is what your average Americans should look and act like.

fight IQ is not the problem. you are either a real fighter or you're not, you are either a real man or you're not. if you have a fighter stumbling around the octagon barely conscious and you decide to take him down and lay in his guard, you are not a real fighter.

I wouldn't mind if UFC cut guys like Jose Aldo and Orobai for stuff like this.

Back