Media UFC 300 is ALREADY better than UFC 200

The MMA gods fucked up ufc 200 though. This UFC 300 card is the best the UFC could come up with, apparently.

Except Lesner was always supposed to come back, the original plan was Conor vs Nate 2, DC vs Jones 2, two more title fights AND Brock. The women’s BW division was very popular back than because everyone assumed Ronda would return to fight whoever was champ, aspnall eyes were on Tate vs Nunes. Frankie vs Aldo was also a pretty big fight, and it was for the interim FW belt when Conor was the champion.That would’ve easily been the greatest card of all time

200 made me a little sad tbh... An entire card full of pointless fights.

300 has potential, but its not much better (yet) in terms of star power... Ronda, Conrad, Khabib, Brock, GSP - at least 2 of them...

100 was one of the GOAT events... People still talk about things that happened on that card every day... They hit the combo of grudge-matches, elite competition, and star power absolutely on the head, and it was spectacular..

View attachment 1026617

Haters will call this a weak card... The first 2 main card fights were a mistake, but somehow they added to the anticipation... GSP hit Alves with his groin, and so on...

Not sure what my point is, really... 200 had more star power, but wasn't as good as 100, I guess.
I don’t think you have a point. This is some nostalgic bs.

100 was great but c'mon now. The prelims were nothing to note at the time. Because the UFC didn't put much stock on the prelims. Name wise, the prelims were shit. Main card wise, Jon Fitch was on it. Top heavy card.

Great card, memorable card. Not as godlike as you're putting it. Nostalgia is a helluva drug eh?

Adding McGregor vs Chandler does nothing for this card from an MMA fan point of view. From a Casual's perspective I am not even sure it adds much tbh.
I mean, hate on Conor all you'd like but to say that he wouldn't make much of difference in the overall #'s is just crazy talk.

If they put Conor as the main event I ain’t even gonna bother buying this card (Yeah I buy cards, I’m not poor like most Shertards) not supporting that bum.

I mean, hate on Conor all you'd like but to say that he wouldn't make much of difference in the overall #'s is just crazy talk.
The ratings for TUF didn't do well. Would they have been similar with other fighters or did Conor take them from zero to disappointing?

Except Lesner was always supposed to come back, the original plan was Conor vs Nate 2, DC vs Jones 2, two more title fights AND Brock. The women’s BW division was very popular back than because everyone assumed Ronda would return to fight whoever was champ, aspnall eyes were on Tate vs Nunes. Frankie vs Aldo was also a pretty big fight, and it was for the interim FW belt when Conor was the champion.That would’ve easily been the greatest card of all time
Naw dc vs jones 2 replaced conor vs nate

They definitely weren’t supposed to be on the card at the same time

Here’s one of the many articles about it + awesome dana tweet

IMG_4090.jpeg

I don’t think you have a point. This is some nostalgic bs.

100 was great but c'mon now. The prelims were nothing to note at the time. Because the UFC didn't put much stock on the prelims. Name wise, the prelims were shit. Main card wise, Jon Fitch was on it. Top heavy card.

Great card, memorable card. Not as godlike as you're putting it. Nostalgia is a helluva drug eh?
Bro, at the time, and for a few years after, UFC cards didn't have prelims in the UK - i had to download them a week later from xtremewrestlingtorrentz, by which time I'd also have PFL, Strikeforce, and all the rest to watch, so the magic wasn't there...

UFC 92 (The Ultimate) was similar energy at the time, and my personal all-time favourite card.

Screenshot_20240130_021224_Samsung Internet.jpg

Again though, as someone pointed out, the names look better in retrospect... But at the time it felt like something amazing was happening, and we still talk about fights on the card to this day.

Nunes v Tate is not greater than Zhang v Yan.
Pena v Zingano had nowhere near the high profile that Harrison v Holm does.
Sage was never remotely the prospect that Bo Nickal is and was already coming off a loss
You're right.

I kinda forgot the Sage hype was over at that point.
And yes - Nunes wasn't that big at the time, she had lost to Zingano 4ish fights prior so it wasn't clear she was a future GOAT
Zingano was coming off a loss to Ronda and was just fighting this TUF-rookie Pena, a big step down

Last edited:
I’d say 300 is on par with 200, not necessarily better or worse. 300 is a great PPV but fans have let their imaginations set unreachable expectations due to Dana’s hype. Hence the constant bashing.
It feels like a card full of good to great Co Main events. Problem is it has not got a Main Event and I am having trouble coming up with a Main Event that is both possible (available fighters) and meaningful (for a Real Major title). Conor vs Chandler is not an exciting fight it is a Freakshow at this point. They aren't MWs and they aren't even WWs and neither is legitimately in title contention at LW.

To be honest it isn't that good for the Main Card PPV. Right now the UFC has
TBD vs TBD for the Main Event
Weili vs Xianonan for the Women's 115 lb title
Max vs Justin for the "BMF" title
Charles vs Arman in an "Alleged" title eliminator
Jiri vs Rakic

Its not even as good as UFC 92
Forest vs Rashad for the LWH title
Frank Mir vs Big Nog for the Interim HW title *
Rampage vs Wanderlei III
C.B. Dolloway vs Massenzio
Cheik Kongo vs Mustapha Al Turk

* Of note Randy Couture was the "Undisputed" Champion but sat out in a contract dispute trying to fight Fedor. The UFC booked Big Nog vs Big Timmy which Nogueira won. They then booked Big Nog vs Frank Mir for UFC 92 & were able to coax Randy back to defend vs Brock Lesnar at UFC 91. That was the one time where defending the Interim title made any sense. Brock and Mir were booked to Unify the belts at UFC 100.

IDGAF. Names don't always equal great fights. It's weird as fuck that most of you don't understand that simple concept.

That's not true, Jones and DC weren't connected to the card at first, they were brought in to replace Conor v Nate 2. Brock also was not connected to the card until two months after Conor v Nate fell through.

That's not true, Jones and DC weren't connected to the card at first, they were brought in to replace Conor v Nate 2. Brock also was not connected to the card until two months after Conor v Nate fell through.
Good reminder
Seems UFC never planned to have Conor vs Diaz and Jon vs DC on the same card.

I think they don't want to "waste" two of the biggest fights of the year on one card, they prefer selling them separately

I had to read an article from the time to remind myself
"The main event for UFC 200 has been confirmed - with Conor McGregor missing out. The UFC today announced the new main event will feature Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier"

And the reason Conor vs Nate was moved was also quite silly, supposedly to punish Conor for missing the presser. So obviously if they really wanted they could've booked both fights for ufc200 but didn't want to.

Last edited:
Better than 200 was or better than 200 was supposed to be? Because 200 was supposed to have Conor, Diaz, DC and Jones

Better than 200 was or better than 200 was supposed to be? Because 200 was supposed to have Conor, Diaz, DC and Jones
Well, not exactly. It seems they never intended to have both of those fights on the same card.
Just either of them.

See the 2 posts above

But yeah if 300 had either of these fights - plus everything else it did have - it would be better than the current state of 300, even if we get Izzy vs Pereira as the main

If you could pick from 200, 299 and 300 which fights would you pick?

You can pick 5 from all the main events, 4 from the undercards and 3 from the prelims.

MAIN:
* Aldo vs Edgar ( the only clear cut pick for me)
* O'Malley vs Vera
* Oliviera vs Tsarukyan
* Tough call now to pick 2 of Gathje vs Holloway, DC vs Silva, Brock vs Hunt, Dustin vs saint Denis,

UNDER CARD:
* TJ vs Assuncao
* Figgy vs Cody
* Gastelum vs Hendricks
* Kattar vs Sterling

PRELIMS:
I guess UFC 200 all the way

1706648050403.png

Last edited:
Back