What do you think about Chinese traditional medicine and herbalism?

Tea, heating, acupuncture and a little bit of bat soup and pangolins dishes does wonders..

If it worked we’d call it medicine.

Um no, it's still called TCM when it works.

There was also a poster earlier in the thread who thought that if something was discovered through TCM as recently as the 70's then it wouldn't count as TCM but that's not the case either. It's interesting how different certain perspectives on things can be.

Last edited:
Um no, it's still called TCM when it works.

There was also a poster earlier in the thread who thought that if something was discovered through TCM as recently as the 70's then it wouldn't count as TCM but that's not the case either. It's interesting how different certain perspectives on things can be.
Modern medicine is about meeting a standard of evidence, regardless of origin. The alternative forms of medicine simply don’t meet that standard, which is why they’re relegated to the status of ‘alternative’ medicine.

Just wanted to ask this somewhere other than on a healthcare forum in order to hear some opinions from the public at large....and I don't think it's been discussed on Sherdog in recent memory.
no real idea but I read a book by one of Bruce Lee's american students who said he went to a chinese doctor and got some ointment for his knee, he said he used it and never had a problem since. His American doctor scolded him for believing stuff so ridiculous, but he did for good reason.

Modern medicine is about meeting a standard of evidence, regardless of origin. The alternative forms of medicine simply don’t meet that standard, which is why they’re relegated to the status of ‘alternative’ medicine.

But TCM does meet that standard rather frequently....it is tested scientifically more often than other forms of traditional medicine though.

I'm 1/3 Chinese so I approve of rhino penis and dried salamander extract for your libido
giphy.gif

Like what?

For instance check out this research paper and the links for the citations in the 'Discussion' section:

A lot of stuff that works marginally and some things that are extremely potent. I am on the supplement bandwagon and there are some things are very strong and it is clear that their is an obvious effect. Those are more the exception than the rule I believe. For anything life threatening, go western medicine.

For instance check out this research paper and the links for the citations in the 'Discussion' section:

This is a low quality narrative review and that’s being generous. I can type in a few key words and find something equivalent on nearly any subject related to health. These fields are absolutely littered with trash research.

Why don’t you pull one of these original research articles cited in the discussion and we’ll take a look. Choose the one you find most convincing.

It’s bullshit. Eating ground up tiger penis doesn’t do anything for you.
You could take any of the other stuff like that, so blind trials or just empirical studies and easily show they have no medicinal value. I’m sure it has already been done.
Maybe the doc is just trying to see if the taste of penis gives them an erection ?

This is a low quality narrative review and that’s being generous. I can type in a few key words and find something equivalent on nearly any subject related to health. These fields are absolutely littered with trash research.

Why don’t you pull one of these original research articles cited in the discussion and we’ll take a look. Choose the one you find most convincing.

At this point to me it seems like you're just dead set on being negative about it.

At this point to me it seems like you're just dead set on being negative about it.
Or that I understand how to interpret evidence. Don’t be so quick to buy what a study is selling, particularly in the health and nutritional sciences. Those fields are notoriously riddled with useless research.

Technically docs do alternate methods that don’t meet standards all the time

Going “off label”

For example
Ivermectin for covid
Ozempic for weight loss

Technically docs do alternate methods that don’t meet standards all the time

Going “off label”

For example
Ivermectin for covid
Ozempic for weight loss

Semaglutide has high quality evidence for weight loss. Ivermectin has no good evidence for COVID.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2032183

You have to actually interpret studies before you go off label unless you want to look like a quack.

Semaglutide has high quality evidence for weight loss. Ivermectin has no good evidence for COVID.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2032183

You have to actually interpret studies before you go off label unless you want to look like a quack.
It doesn’t matter, it’s a fact that doctors go off label all the time, 1 in 10 prescriptions are off label, and they’ll do it based on their experience and intuition, and based on thosed stats, every single doc has done some quack stuff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luminous Knight
Back