Are goofy, fun shooters dead?

mixmastermo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I was really into the goofiness of shooters like Timesplitters, or even Goldeneye and the game modes of games like Unreal Tournament. I suppose Fortnite is kinda goofy but I don't care for the Battle Royale format.

Remember having lots of fun with friends with Timesplitters. Lots of interesting game modes.

No. If anything,there is an overabundance of them. It might be that you're just sick of them to the point where nothing stands out.

I was really into the goofiness of shooters like Timesplitters, or even Goldeneye and the game modes of games like Unreal Tournament.

They exist but arent that publicized. For instance games like Splatoon, Titanfall 2 or even Battlefield 2042 are mindless fun.

Problem is this overwhelming segment of games in the FPS multiplayer genre tried to use esports as marketing tools over the past decade and still today. So theyre stuck in this weird spot of being failed esports that still primarily focus on their 'competitive ranked mode'.

They exist but arent that publicized. For instance games like Splatoon, Titanfall 2 or even Battlefield 2042 are mindless fun.

Problem is this overwhelming segment of games in the FPS multiplayer genre tried to use esports as marketing tools over the past decade and still today. So theyre stuck in this weird spot of being failed esports that still primarily focus on their 'competitive ranked mode'.
No. If anything,there is an overabundance of them. It might be that you're just sick of them to the point where nothing stands out
I'm aware of Splatoon.. that's the kind of thing I'm talking about, perhaps I'm not clear enough... I'm more referring to the shooters with MP modes that aren't overly focused on who has the best skill shooting a gun.

I have many memories of playing 4 player timesplitters 2 huddled near a 27 inch TV on GameCube. That game was just whacky and we all laughed at the insanity of some of the game modes and characters.
Unreal tournament had some interesting game modes as well.. I specifically remember one that was like a game of football.

@KaNesDeath is right though.. most of the stuff out there is geared towards esports

I was really into the goofiness of shooters like Timesplitters, or even Goldeneye and the game modes of games like Unreal Tournament. I suppose Fortnite is kinda goofy but I don't care for the Battle Royale format.

Remember having lots of fun with friends with Timesplitters. Lots of interesting game modes.

I played the crap out of timesplitters 1 & 2 as well as Goldeneye. Good selections, buddy.

Best one I've since played was.........

MV5BMGEwYjVjYzItYWY4MS00NTc1LThiM2QtNjMyY2VhYzIyNGMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjA5MDY0Mw@@._V1_.jpg

Was like being at the arcade being able to point the guns/controllers at the screen & shoot. Funny dialogue, great for 1 or 2 people & good selection of guns. Get to shoot a mini gun when unlocked. Had bosses at the end of each level, too:) I ended up buying the first two games, but this one was the better version.

I played the crap out of timesplitters 1 & 2 as well as Goldeneye. Good selections, buddy.

MV5BMGEwYjVjYzItYWY4MS00NTc1LThiM2QtNjMyY2VhYzIyNGMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjA5MDY0Mw@@._V1_.jpg

Was like being at the arcade being able to point the guns/controllers at the screen & shoot. Funny dialogue, great for 1 or 2 people & good selection of guns. Get to shoot a mini gun when unlocked. Had bosses at the end of each level, too:) I ended up buying the first two games, but this one was the better version.

The remake of the first one from the last couple of years ago (think a remake of 2 is coming at some point too) is really good and worth checking out, but i still load up Overkill on my PS3 every now and again

The remake of the first one from the last couple of years ago (think a remake of 2 is coming at some point too) is really good and worth checking out, but i still load up Overkill on my PS3 every now and again
Actually, I have the below games & not part 1....

s-l400.jpg

I'd imagine it was still pretty cool on PS3? I've only played the wii versions.

Unreal tournament had some interesting game modes as well.. I specifically remember one that was like a game of football.

Thats another aspect i forgot about. Lack of mod support.

High On Life was goofy and fun as hell

I love how over the top it was. I'll never forget that one quote:

"You are one fucked up fuck!"

originality, new stories, new games are all dead basically except at the indie level, which are usually done terribly in terms of art style/direction IMO. we are seeing mass commercialization of games on a grand scale now. too afraid to venture, too afraid to take a risk, the potential outcomes devastating if the game does not resonate. remakes upon remasters endlessly, until the soul of the original game is dead.

Back