Last game you played that you considered a masterpiece 10/10.

Not a "masterpiece", but a game I played most recently that just went down like a great T-Bone steak, that I had no real complaints about, was "The Evil Within 2"

It's more "underrated", but honestly, it's one of the best survival horror games I've ever played. It's so damn tight in every area.
I wish they'd one more, they left it open after 2. I'm pretty sure the director left the studio though.

I remember the first one running really poor for me at first, so I didn't play it for a while. I'm pretty sure I did 2 then 1.

They are both awesome games, but I preferred how 2 gave you so many environmental tools to dispatch enemies, good times! The first game was scarier though.

Masterpiece is a strong word so for that I'm going to have to go all the way back to Baldur's Gate II or Icewind Dale II. I loved the lo-fi aspect of those games, six person parties, the rule system they used, and combat mechanics. BG III, while I really like it, is too slow combat wise in comparison to the older games when the battles get large with respect to enemies involved. Quake III was the last shooter I played that really hooked me for a large span of time. There are many great games today but ultimately I think for each of us there is a window of time where we consider things perfectly unperfect and mine was definitely in that general vicinity.

I feel like a 10 out of 10 is a game that we simply love so much. I think terms like masterpiece or perfection are harming the way we look at reviews. A 7 these days is treated as an 1 and an 8 is a wait for discount. I think there is no perfect game but with that being said the last game I gave a 10 to was Returnal. To me there were almost no flaws. The sound is out of the world, the gameplay loop is addicting, the OST is unsettling and adds so much to the atmosphere, it has stellar use of the haptics, and bosses are some of the best in recent memory. It’s one of the few games I keep installed all the time just to go back and do some tower runs every now and then. Prior to Returnal my other 10 went to Sekiro. I wonder what the next 10 will be

I feel like a 10 out of 10 is a game that we simply love so much. I think terms like masterpiece or perfection are harming the way we look at reviews. A 7 these days is treated as an 1 and an 8 is a wait for discount. I think there is no perfect game but with that being said the last game I gave a 10 to was Returnal. To me there were almost no flaws. The sound is out of the world, the gameplay loop is addicting, the OST is unsettling and adds so much to the atmosphere, it has stellar use of the haptics, and bosses are some of the best in recent memory. It’s one of the few games I keep installed all the time just to go back and do some tower runs every now and then. Prior to Returnal my other 10 went to Sekiro. I wonder what the next 10 will be
I can't beat phrike

3rXn9GV4SrLtUXFLW2.webp

Putting this is spoilers because I don't want to derail your thread. I'll edit my above post.

Understood, and its one of those 'Why did they do that' issues with newer versions of popular games.

They 'update' some characters face models, and its a clear & obvious downgrade.

For some reason they did the same with Tess in TLOU remake.

OIP.z8W1eI0CbPSyiz91ahQUeAHaEK

Man I think the new Tess looks way better. Way more realistic.

My last 10 was bg3.

I'm biased cause I just love RE games. Village quickly became my favorite though. The voice acting, characters, score and story were all fantastic. Visually stunning as well. I found myself just walking around Castle Dimitrescu taking it in a lot of the time. I was hooked and blew through it in a few days and then immediately started it over to play through again. I rarely do that.

Tbh probably Borderlands 2

For most recent, Retunal would probably top my list as well. It had everything I wanted in a game. Sekiro also ranks up there because the amount of work you put in would directly correlate to how well you do moving through the levels.

I was recently thinking of Sifu and how much fun I had playing that game. It was such a unique brawler.

For most recent, Retunal would probably top my list as well. It had everything I wanted in a game. Sekiro also ranks up there because the amount of work you put in would directly correlate to how well you do moving through the levels.

I was recently thinking of Sifu and how much fun I had playing that game. It was such a unique brawler.
Good choice. I remember Sifu came out around the same time as Elden Ring, Forbidden West, and GT7 and call me crazy but I might have enjoyed that one the most. Thinking back on it that one is pretty close to a 10. I even managed to beat the game at age 20 before they added easy mode. I died so many times I lost count but it was fun enough that I kept pushing forward because of how much I enjoyed the combat system was. Nioh 2 is another one that I nearly gave a 10 but more of a 9 or 9.5

I can't beat phrike

3rXn9GV4SrLtUXFLW2.webp
I think the mistake people make is going for the boss immediately upon locating it. Clear out the entire level and make sure to go through the challenge doors that reward you with upgrades. You fight a wave of enemies but if you don’t take much damage it’s so worth it. By the time you clear everything you’ll gun will melt the bosses health pretty quickly and your health bar will be big enough to afford you some mistakes. Clearing the level will also give you enough cash to buy the astronaut figure which revives you.

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth was about as close to perfect as I could want from a game right now. I never once felt burnt out and I put over 100 hours into it.

I think the mistake people make is going for the boss immediately upon locating it. Clear out the entire level and make sure to go through the challenge doors that reward you with upgrades. You fight a wave of enemies but if you don’t take much damage it’s so worth it. By the time you clear everything you’ll gun will melt the bosses health pretty quickly and your health bar will be big enough to afford you some mistakes. Clearing the level will also give you enough cash to buy the astronaut figure which revives you.
Yea that is my approach. Last time I fought him I got him down to one health bar but then I croaked. The thing that's kind of annoying is that while I do like a challenging boss fight, I do need a few tries to learn a strategy. In this game if you croak and you don't have the moonman or the regeneration chamber enabled you have to start all over, in a different map and by the time you get to the boss again you probably have a different weapon and powerup. Also, taking that approach you described is time consuming- you're talking like taking an hour plus between encounters if the boss kills you. I don't have that kind of time.

THAT BEING SAID the stuff you said about the game is true. It plays really well, great atmosphere, etc. I imagine this is what a 3rd person Metroid could have looked like.

Speaking of which, add Metroid Dread to my masterpiece list. I've played that thing at least 3x in the past year. I've even gotten good at countering the EMMI!

Nier automata
I REALLY LIKED the first hour or so of this game. Then I got to some kind of open world section and it started to get boring. I'm at a part with some kind of village- does it get much better again after that?

I REALLY LIKED the first hour or so of this game. Then I got to some kind of open world section and it started to get boring. I'm at a part with some kind of village- does it get much better again after that?
Yes. I've played a lot of RPG , action games my whole life (almost 40) Nier automata main story and especially side stories were at the top of my list . I love the multiple playthroughs that explain the main storyline even further.

The philosophy in the game also makes you really take a look at yourself , especially at the end.

Back