12oz Winning for heavy hands?

rockweiler

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am looking for opinions on whether a 12oz Winning would provide enough protection for heavy bag work for me.

I am 200lbs 15%bf currently using 18oz Reyes (4mos old) with knuckle guards and am experiencing knuckle soreness after workouts.

So, I am looking to add a pair of Winnings to rotate between the two. I would like a pair of 12oz to have more of a contrast to my Reyes and work more speed those days (I miss training with my old 10oz from when I weighed 150lbs!) but am worried that maybe 12oz won't have enough protection for me. But then again Winning also has reputation for being very protective.

So therein lies my question -- do you guys think 12oz Winnings have enough protection for heavy bag work for heavy hands?

IMHO for bagwork when for long timeframe with heavy bag better will be use larger, heavier and puffy gloves....
While for work with speedbag etc smaller, lighter gloves in order to increase precision and speed....

I have a 10oz winning and 16oz isami pair. I'll hit mits and do lighter bag work with the 10's and drill/ spar, heavy bag work with the 16s. I'm probably going to get a set of 14s just for heavy bag work.

Definitely avoid the winning velcro line. They have no wrist support. The isami sparring gloves only comes in velcro, but they offer much better support.

Also isami is comparable to winning, but at about half the price. Quality Japanese gloves. You can go to https://www.chokesports.com/collections/boxing-gloves for isami.

**note they are putting on a new sparring glove in the next month. From what I understand, there's a good chance that they will have a lace up model. If so I'll definitely get another pair.

I have a 10oz winning and 16oz isami pair. I'll hit mits and do lighter bag work with the 10's and drill/ spar, heavy bag work with the 16s. I'm probably going to get a set of 14s just for heavy bag work.

Definitely avoid the winning velcro line. They have no wrist support. The isami sparring gloves only comes in velcro, but they offer much better support.

Also isami is comparable to winning, but at about half the price. Quality Japanese gloves. You can go to https://www.chokesports.com/collections/boxing-gloves for isami.

**note they are putting on a new sparring glove in the next month. From what I understand, there's a good chance that they will have a lace up model. If so I'll definitely get another pair.
Yeah Isami is very similar but better for longer hands imo. I like Isami a lot.

Yeah Isami is very similar but better for longer hands imo. I like Isami a lot.
I feel like the shape and economics of the isami gloves work better for training kickboxing than the winnings. Much easier to catch kicks.

Back