Man. Deathproof is a terrible movie

The final chase scene and the hilarious ending make the movie worth watching. Not Tarantino's best, but it's certainly not terrible either.

It's not great but It's the last good film Tarantino made.

• Eek
Reactions: HHJ
This movie fucking stinks.

Great movie, that seems to get better with every rewatch, ages like a fine wine. I've seen it probably a dozen times. Not in his top 3 or anything, but probably QT's most underrated movie. His hidden gem

I remember seeing GRINDHOUSE in the theater, PLANET TERROR was a one & done sillyfest for me. No need to ever rewatch that one again. Like a joke that went on way too long

It's obviously not fair though, comparing Tarantino to Rodriguez is like comparing a Rembrandt to the guy at the local fair who will draw your caricature for twenty bucks.

To each their own & all that of course, but for me DEATH PROOF is a film full of magic. Like 4 or 5 legit shiver down my spine moments

0b0025d52b5fbfb22ba474c41bfc637f24c0b52f.gif

I think the first half is very good. The dialogue was interesting for the most part. I loved the Stuntman Mike character.

The second half is annoying outside of the fine Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

The black girl that Tarantino was clearly trying to turn into the female Samuel L Jackson is a rare misfire. I’d bet the fact that she didn’t become a star or really do anything after Death Proof probably spoiled the movie for QT because he was clearly trying hard with her.

Also, Zoe Bell is a terrible actress and sucks in all her QT movie appearances. I understand she’s a good stunt double or whatever but I wonder if QT insistence of her is some deep seated muse substitution after he fell out with Uma Thurman because he didn’t make Zoe Bell crash into a tree instead.

Definitely his weakest movie but I still watch it. It was better than the awful Planet Terror.

Death Proof and Planet Terror plus the fake trailers as unified theatrical experience is the best possible way to enjoy them. Grindhouse was easily one of my most enjoyable trips to the theater in 2007. But when you separate those films out, you definitely lose something- from both. I enjoyed Rodriguez’s film more but Death Proof wasn’t without merits. Russell was great. First section was solid. Zoe Bell’s stunt work was awesome.

It’s just that the second half of the film felt sort of silly and interminable.

That said, I really do think that Grindhouse was a core example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Those components- Proof, Planet Terror, and the trailers made for a hugely fun experience at the movies.

Seeing them both in theaters was fun. It made me wish that more theaters did cheesy as B double horror movie features. Seeing them on TV, each by themselves, somehow lessens the experience because it doesn't feel like an honor to cheesy shlock.

He tried so hard to make it an authentic grind house movie that he forgot to make it good.

It has cool parts but it also has the weaknesses of those films too, which is why they're not considered great cinema.

Absolutely love planet terror.
Loved the fake trailers, "don't" being my favorite.
First half of death proof was pretty awesome too, did fall off in second half.

i wanted deathproof to be more horror like it was in the first half then it became cheesy.

some of the fake trailers in the grindhouse were decent. i wouldn't mind a full length "don't!" movie.

As a car guy, I thought Death Proof was fantastic.

Almost sounds like some of you guys went into it thinking you were about to watch Citizen Kane.

Seeing them both in theaters was fun. It made me wish that more theaters did cheesy as B double horror movie features. Seeing them on TV, each by themselves, somehow lessens the experience because it doesn't feel like an honor to cheesy shlock.

For sure. Well said. Would have been fun if Rodriguez and Tarantino had re-teamed for another one like that a decade or so later. I guess it wasn’t financially successful enough to justify a return to the concept but I thought it was great.

As a car guy, I thought Death Proof was fantastic.

Almost sounds like some of you guys went into it thinking you were about to watch Citizen Kane.
Nah', it's more the extreme drop off from the first half. The first half could be it's own movie. After the car crash, it lulls and you're stuck with this new batch of chicks(who aren't nearly as defined) ranting in a diner about nothing, ranting in a car about nothing, and then going on a rather underwhelming mission to find a good car. It's probably not even that long of a transition, but it feels long because the girls can't carry it.

There was certainly some disappointment given the hype, but it's just not that great of a movie, and even Tarantino himself ain't too high on it and thinks he missed the mark.

I enjoyed it enough. I didn't go in with very high expectations though.

Nah', it's more the extreme drop off from the first half. The first half could be it's own movie. After the car crash, it lulls and you're stuck with this new batch of chicks(who aren't nearly as defined) ranting in a diner about nothing, ranting in a car about nothing, and then going on a rather underwhelming mission to find a good car. It's probably not even that long of a transition, but it feels long because the girls can't carry it.

There was certainly some disappointment given the hype, but it's just not that great of a movie, and even Tarantino himself ain't too high on it and thinks he missed the mark.

I agree that the 2nd half wasn't nearly as good as the first but it was kinda realistic. You watch those old movies and they had a ton of bland scenes that were just filler. Checking out the girls and the cars kept me entertained.

Back