A key difference between Khabib and Volk

Khabib retired at the right time, I don't think he was scared or anything but at this point, it's kind of indisputable that age matters a lot at the lighter weight classes. 125-155, there has NEVER been a fighter 35 & up who won a UFC title fight while he was the older fighter. We can all say age is just a number, but that's not a mere coincidence. At the lighter weight classes, a small decline in speed/reflexes is a death sentence
How exactly was it the right time if you're saying he had another 3 years before everybody else has slowed down in those weight classes and started losing?

Bro just say you didn't want to see him lose so retiring anytime prior to that like he did was the "right time".

that is not even a difference. khabib wasn't even big for a lw division, somewhere in the middle. you just a newb.
So weird how Khabib himself said it took a lifetime of dieting and training 5 hours a day just to stay at 195 so he could then cut down to 155.

And also said that's why he'll never return as he's now 205, gets to have Pepsi, and only train 1 hour a day.

Who should I believe? Random Sherdogger with a Khabib av or Khabib himself?

Thing is, Volk can fight forward or off the back foot. The problem is that it isn't a sure fire way to win a fight for him against certain opponents.

Khabib needs to pressure to win fights. It's hard to impose a heavy grappling approach if you're on the back foot. Look at Colby vs. Leon for example. While Volk is more versatile, Khabib has a 100% win rate by moving forward, blocking or risk taking a bit of damage just to secure a body lock or a leg.

Volk doesn't have as heavy of a grappling approach. I mean, in theory, he could have adopted it, but his mind for that tenacity and top control isn't on Khabib's caliber. Volk could impose that game on weaker grappler, but he must've felt like it wasn't worth dumping the tank fighting like that against Ilia.

Khabib's game revolves around a necessity to crowd and give zero openings he will not change his approach.
I'd have to rewatch some of his fights, but of the top of my head you're right that Khabib's grappling was more him marching forward forcing TDs instead of ever using them as a defensive reactionary move against someone pressuring him.

Like I can't think of a time where someone came at him and mid punch he ducked under it for a TD like I can perfectly remember say GSP, MM, or Weidman doing. When people came at Khabib he'd circle away and reset to begin again his own pressure.

Unless you're as dumb as Justin was to get in close to him only to throw leg kicks for him to catch lol.

One key difference is khabib killed himself to fight at lightweight and Volk was a real man and fought people bigger than him. He may have lost but atleast he had the guts to go up and try.
lol yea im sure Khabib wish he trade places with Volk

Id stay at LW too

fa4b56oqbjna1.png

How exactly was it the right time if you're saying he had another 3 years before everybody else has slowed down in those weight classes and started losing?

Bro just say you didn't want to see him lose so retiring anytime prior to that like he did was the "right time".

Right time for his legacy, sure, not about my own preferences. There's nothing wrong with a fighter wanting to go out on top, as opposed to all the guys who hang on, then rack up a bunch of losses, then Shertards declare "he was never any good, just got exposed by the new breed". I have said on several occasions that Khabib is nowhere close to GOAT because he doesn't have anywhere near enough title defenses. I think GSP is the GOAT, I think GSP was smart to retire because I do think he would start losing.

Heck, I think Jones is still winning despite not being in his prime, I think he look like crap despite winning vs Santos, Reyes, Smith (I think prime Jones easily finishes all 3). I think Jones should've retired, good for him that he's still at it. On Sherdog, people are only happy when champs lose to some new young lion, otherwise anyone retiring is "scared". I do think Khabib probably would've still been winning but would've eventually lost, probably around age 35. "The new breed" of LWs still haven't shown up yet & hasn't really panned out (they still losing to the guys like Gaethje, Poirier). Islam is more well rounded than Khabib but isn't as dominant

Oh god the dumbest retard shit again "if fighter A goes backwards, he loses"
A story told by dumb Rogan and some guys that got too much to the head.

Volk is a pretty good counter striker. Ilia is just younger, better and more powerful.

Good strikers are as good moving backwards as forwards, some even prefer going backwards.
It's just grapplers with average striking, that can't go backwards.

The biggest difference is Volkanovski's willingness to fight quality opponents.

Back