Social Honesty is the best policy

I hope you are loaded dude. No position is worth sacrificing your integrity in any way
Not sacrificing my integrity, I'm being honest in this situation and I was hoping my colleagues would do the same.

"I won't go too deep into it" proceeds to write 4 paragraphs going too deep into it.
Haha I can go much much deeper into that specific situation, believe me. I easily could have written a 5 page essay on the subject.

There was this asshole who was the most loud mouthed, conniving lying cunt that I still want to put a shovel through the back of his head.

@mixmastermo

What is your position and what have you to gain by getting these changes put in place?
Director of Supply Chain

Due to our broken procedures on production floor we do not have accurate inventory and transaction data. My team has to use a number of manual procedures, spreadsheets, and tools to work around the fact that we don't have a reliable stream of data coming from the production floor, which makes training people extremely difficult and leaves the door wide open for making errors. We are essentially doing our best to clean up after everyone just so we can do what we have to do, and even then people on my team have made mistakes using the web of spreadsheets we have in place which has affected our ability to deliver to our customers.

This situation doesn't just affect me, it affects accounting, the regulatory team, quality assurance, and all of our reporting.

Is it though?

I feel like truly honest and scrupulous people get taken advantage of, disregarded, and bullied.

Take traffic on a city street for example. The people who are the most civilized often have to wait the longest to get to their destination.

Take the workplace as another example- the most upstanding employees often get overlooked by the sneakier ones who run around and manipulate, gaslight, and gossip.

Is honesty the best policy?
I can answer the workplace one. I have upstanding employees and I have sneaky manipulative gossipy ones. It's not that hard to see who's who. I always reward the good ones.

job-interview-memes-3-5d14aeb4f3032__700.jpg

Director of Supply Chain

Due to our broken procedures on production floor we do not have accurate inventory and transaction data. My team has to use a number of manual procedures, spreadsheets, and tools to work around the fact that we don't have a reliable stream of data coming from the production floor, which makes training people extremely difficult and leaves the door wide open for making errors. We are essentially doing our best to clean up after everyone just so we can do what we have to do, and even then people on my team have made mistakes using the web of spreadsheets we have in place which has affected our ability to deliver to our customers.

This situation doesn't just affect me, it affects accounting, the regulatory team, quality assurance, and all of our reporting.

I can arrange for someone to make the problem go away.

Not sacrificing my integrity, I'm being honest in this situation and I was hoping my colleagues would do the same.
I've worked in a toxic environment full of liars. You ain't gonna go far if you aren't involved

I've worked in a toxic environment full of liars. You ain't gonna go far if you aren't involved
So you're saying honesty is not the best policy then?

BTW I am in a better mood today- got a lot of stuff done without having to involve myself with the office politics

So you're saying honesty is not the best policy then?
I'm saying honesty is the only policy and that should be a foregone conclusion. The fact that you work with a group of folks that have been willing to lie and be dishonest tells me you are either contemplating being complicit in their dishonesty or you are contemplating whether you are in a dead end job that offers you very little future there if you are not willing to sacrifice your integrity

I'm saying honesty is the only policy and that should be a foregone conclusion. The fact that you work with a group of folks that have been willing to lie and be dishonest tells me you are either contemplating being complicit in their dishonesty or you are contemplating whether you are in a dead end job that offers you very little future there if you are not willing to sacrifice your integrity
How about option C- I am hanging out until something better comes along

As much as I detest the dishonesty here I have been through much much worse. If and when I do make a move it won't be an impulsive decision, I have to try to make sure the environment and culture is somewhere I want to be.

I'm not sacrificing my integrity.

Director of Supply Chain

Apply sensors to feed data into database or data lake.

Develop or contract applications to clean, parse, analyze, distribute data.

Replace liars with robots.

I didn't think you would be but you asked the question
A wise man once told me

"The cost of integrity is high"

On another note one of my colleagues probably thinks he isn't being honest because his strategy to only tell people just enough to keep them happy. He willfully withholds information.

It's twisted but I do feel like people operate with that mentality.

Is it though?

I feel like truly honest and scrupulous people get taken advantage of, disregarded, and bullied.

Take traffic on a city street for example. The people who are the most civilized often have to wait the longest to get to their destination.

Take the workplace as another example- the most upstanding employees often get overlooked by the sneakier ones who run around and manipulate, gaslight, and gossip.

Is honesty the best policy?
It s impossible to answer that with a universal answer. It depends on context and people. Some people manage to thrive in life out of attributes alone like pure intelligence, charisma, beauty, talent. These are the God tiers and they don't even have to bother being cunning to be on top.

For us pieces of shit, success typically entails some level of playing in the shadows at the very least.

No matter how people try to use words like family at work, people at work will slit your throat with no remorse if it means they get a bit more money or can be more lazy and get away with it.
That's not always true. You can't generalise like that.

A wise man once told me

"The cost of integrity is high"

On another note one of my colleagues probably thinks he isn't being honest because his strategy to only tell people just enough to keep them happy. He willfully withholds information.

It's twisted but I do feel like people operate with that mentality.
It is my experience that successful people withhold information by definition. That's a rule I am 100% certain of.

SO as some of you may have guessed there are some specific reasons I made this thread.

There's a situation going on at work- and I am finding out some of my co workers are being less than honest. I won't go too deep into it, but I've been campaigning for a change of our internal procedures on the production floor for a very long time and some people are against it. I've gotten long winded explanations as to why they think drastic measures are unnecessary, how we need to take things one small step at a time, but I always smelled BS from the start.

Turns out the small changes we implemented aren't nearly enough to fix the problem (shocker). I actually got blasted by my boss about 3 weeks ago because he felt I wasn't doing enough to fix the problem (BS and I stood my ground on that). I do have some level of respect for my colleagues in management as I do see they have a level of expertise in their respective fields. However when it comes to making changes in internal procedures (that ultimately would benefit all of us) there's always push back. I do meet with some of my colleagues individually to try to work things out ourselves before we are asked to provide a status report at our weekly staff meeting, and it was revealed to me during one of those encounters that the change I was suggesting would cause a lot of confusion on the production floor because some of the people working down there are not capable of following instructions.

I've kept that to myself for a long time. When we presented a status report last week, we went through it quickly and we didn't get into my recommendations because there was some acknowledgement of some of our issues. I thought ok at least we are getting somewhere. Today we had another meeting and my colleague spoke about how he found the source of the problem. He went into detail about his findings, and I let him finish, knowing full and well he wasn't telling the whole story. Right before we were about to segue into the next topic I mentioned that while my colleague's findings have some merit, they are not the sole cause of the issue. At that point I went into detail about what is happening and what is not happening, and I provided some hard evidence to back my claim up. The VP hosting the meeting (my boss) was super frustrated after seeing the evidence, and rightfully so! We all agreed that extra measures need to be taken to solve the problem.

You would think that after making a stand, clearing the air, and proving my point I would feel much better about the situation, right? Wrong. I walked away from that situation feeling that while I can have some level of respect for these colleagues in question, I cannot fully trust them. The whole situation makes me feel like shit tbh.
But you ended up being right to your boss and your colleague ended up looking like a liar. I mean he tried and he failed. So what’s the problem, that you discovered they aren’t as stand up people as you thought?

Back