Ian Machado Garry wants to prove he's "the best striker that this division has ever seen" and calls

If Machados Husband said they wanted to fight Shav next then respect . Wonderbra is a shell of himself n he was never much more thsn a gatekeeper

Wonderboy is 40 but he's a very spry and dangerous 40. He looked fast and powerful as fuck vs Holland. I dig the fight. Wonderboy might not be at his peak, but he's far, far from washed.

It's not like with each fight a 40 year old is improving though, and I feel like Holland had his moments and hurt Wonderboy at one point. Even Geoff Neal had moments vs Thompson. Dude Thompson had been competing since 1999 in Kickboxing, I want to say 2005 he fought Mauris Briedis in the WO World championships, Briedis went on to be a truly great Cruizerweight boxing champion. Thompsons prime is a LONG while ago and he's slowed down a lot. For sure, he is still a sound and formidable striker but I don't think beating him at this point proves much and it just seems kind of weak. Call out Shavkat, call out Jack Della. You beat Magny, whoopdy doo.
JDM vs Garry would be a fun fight.

Am I the only one after Shavkhats latest fight that see enormous problems with his striking? His head is right in the middle straight up and eating shots all willy nilly
No I see it too. Offensively he's lethal but his defense is none existent. His length has bailed him out of a lot of stuff in his career so far. If Geoff Neal was 6'2 with a 76 inch reach I think he would have finished Shavkat. He was coming up short so much because he just couldn't get inside, the one time he did he almost planked him, same with Odilov.

Don't think he'd have to worry about Garry because of the lack of punching power, but someone is going to crack him unless he learns some basic head movement.

Dude beats a 36 year old journey man and then calls out 40 year old. I get wanting to build up your name. But still.
Yet when Shavkat calls out wonderboy everybody says the fight makes sense and its a good callout.

No I see it too. Offensively he's lethal but his defense is none existent. His length has bailed him out of a lot of stuff in his career so far. If Geoff Neal was 6'2 with a 76 inch reach I think he would have finished Shavkat. He was coming up short so much because he just couldn't get inside, the one time he did he almost planked him, same with Odilov.

Don't think he'd have to worry about Garry because of the lack of punching power, but someone is going to crack him unless he learns some basic head movement.

I'm not as hyped up as everyone else seems to be on his wrestling as well. He had Neal rocked BAD and went for a takedown and Neal defended it without much issue. I think he's a lethal fighter that can probably beat pretty much anyone but not the unstoppable machine that a lot of people tout him as.

I'm not as hyped up as everyone else seems to be on his wrestling as well. He had Neal rocked BAD and went for a takedown and Neal defended it without much issue. I think he's a lethal fighter that can probably beat pretty much anyone but not the unstoppable machine that a lot of people tout him as.

To be fair Neal has some really good takedown defense, but yeah, Shavkats takedown game isn't all it's cracked up to be. His real strength grappling wise is in the clinch, and once again he uses his length to do a lot for the legwork there as well. He has a really strong Thai plum and some nasty striking from there.

I rate him really highly but he isn't the unbeatable monster everybody here makes him out to be. His ceiling is really high and he has a great shot at getting the belt but he isn't going to remain undefeated unless he makes some big improvements. I think he will struggle when he starts fighting some of the really good taller guys like Leon Edwards, Khamzat if he ever moves up or Chimaev moves down.

I think he will remain unbeaten and do just fine if he continues to call out guys like Wonderboy and the old boxer wrestlers like Colby and Usman.

Last edited:
Ian Garry reminds me a lot of Frank Dux

7a589ea7d3a52d943cd70e0492e9ae08.gif

The narrative around Ian Garry's performance is kind of weird right now, he absolutely dominated Magny the entire fight but it almost feels underwhelming because he had him so hurt but never really looked like he was trying to finish until late into the third round. It's almost like he would have been better off if the fight was more competitive and he came away with a decisive win instead of looking like he was playing with his food for most of the fight.

It was an extremely impressive performance if you ask me, and I'm not really a fan of his

After that he can call out GSP to prove he's the best WW of all time!

nkcheer.png

Did anyone else notice when shavkat was brought up post fight he kinda shook it off.and went straight to Wonderboy.. that's all I needed to hear. Btw I have Thompson beating Garry if it happens in the next 6 months or so

They're teammates. Makes no sense to fight the guys he trains with if there are other guys available. Also makes no sense to say he'd take the fight and cause tension in the team (like when Jones said he was willing to fight Rashad). If he's got a good team and valuable training partners there's no need to mess with that until it's completely necessary.

At the moment he's obviously not anywhere close and he can't even punch. I wouldn't be surprised if even 40 year old Wonderboy outpoints him.

Wonderboy is 40 but he's a very spry and dangerous 40. He looked fast and powerful as fuck vs Holland. I dig the fight. Wonderboy might not be at his peak, but he's far, far from washed.
Agreed.

If your path to victory against Wonderboy is striking with him that's not a fucking easy task at all, I don't care who you are.

It proves he has very good striking if he can beat Wonderboy in a striking affair. Yes even at this stage.

Holland had one moment in the fight where he rocked Wonderboy early on. Other than that he was demolished in every sense of the word.

I think we already know that garry has good striking, considering that is about all he likes to fight in the UFC -- strikers, or mediocre jacks of of trades. If garry really wants to prove something, the wonderboy fight isn't it for me.

Back