Interesting comment from Mike Tyson on athlete longevity:

Yeah no doubt. I’m a black belt in bjj. 51. 4 th Dan TKD. JKD experience. When I was younger I was such an angry young man . Competed a lot . Won some. Lost some. Got in street fights. Now the idea of getting in a fight seems crazy . Even competing. I no longer have desire anymore . It’s just not a thing. I’m way more chill and even my rolling reflects that.

Now the idea of getting in a fight seems crazy . Even competing. I no longer have desire anymore . It’s just not a thing. I’m way more chill and even my rolling reflects that.

You still have it. You just however want to be on the right side before fighting someone who is on the wrong side.

I think it’s weird in some ways how that works. My perspective is a bit different.

I played major junior hockey as a teen. I was a bottom 6 forward and fought a lot becsuse i had to. I didn’t really enjoy it and my coach was always on me to be more physical or meaner. Inside though, I was just a scared and homesick kid who wanted to be a goal scorer.

I played semi professional last year in my mid-30’s in my first season back and I felt like a totally different player. I felt way more intense on the ice, meaner and I loved dropping the gloves. I did a fair bit of scoring which I haven’t done since midget and played a very north/south, crash the net style and put up some nice numbers and half the time I was thinking of scrapping.

Total 180. Maybe I’m just a crusty old man now. I guess what I’m getting at is I believe Mike but different situations will affect people diffèrently. It all boils down to the hunger and how bad you want it and age will affect that a ton. I think family and financial success will stop a lot of guys hunger but some are just dogs and will always need that.

Back