Rewatch Just rewatched Usman vs Chimaev, Scared for Whittaker

If fighter A does their gameplan they win.
If fighter B does their gameplan they win.
Simple.

Reactions: HHJ
I just cannot see Bobby surviving the first round...but if he does...I think he takes it.

If DDP could take him down and keep him down, Chimaev sure will at some point in the fight...

scared for bobby, and I am big whittaker fan...

"Whittaker stands no chance"

Show us a pic of the Yacht you are going to buy.

I just cannot see Bobby surviving the first round...but if he does...I think he takes it.

If DDP could take him down and keep him down, Chimaev sure will at some point in the fight...

scared for bobby, and I am big whittaker fan...
Then bet the house Holmes. Put your money where you mouth is.

Not saying this is out of the realm of possibility or anything…

But this was against some of the best strikers in the sport, Thompson and Adesanya, and Du Plessis, who has established having one-punch KO power several times at 185….

I don’t really see Chimaev’s striking on their level…

Khamzat has a very real Takedown-threat while also sporting one punch KO power. If he applies both attributes the right way he can nuke whatever is left of Robert's chin at this point.

Reactions: HHJ
DDP and Khamzat possess wildly different skillsets. Whitaker is bigger than Usman being a constant MW. Whitaker may not finish Khamzat but I don't think Khamzat can finish Whitaker either. I favor Rob in this one. He does very well against grappler. Khamzat has been so reclusive

I would have been much more worried for Bobby if this was immediately after the DDP fight, but Bobby proved he's still got it against Costa.
Khamzat has a very real Takedown-threat while also sporting one punch KO power. If he applies both attributes the right way he can nuke whatever is left of Robert's chin at this point.
Just like he did to Kamaru. He has two KOs. His win against Ikram is aging well. Meershart was TKO'd by Ian Heinisch three months before fight Khamzat.

People forget that Khamzat is growing everyday as a fighter, while Whittaker appears to be declining. His fight with Costa was ugly in mu opinion. Alot of stiffness.

You've seen khamzat growing? He looks like the same fighter that fought ikram before he even got in the ufc.

How does he stop Whittaker tho? Sub him? I have a really hard time seeing Whittaker getting stopped with a sub.

Taking him down and GnPing him to a stoppage? It's extremely rare to see anyone at the highest level take down another world class fighter and GnPing him out
He doesn't need a stoppage he'll just controll and negate him with grappling stalling

All Whittaker needs to do is weather an early storm and he can walk away with this. Five rounds favors him tremendously.
I agree. I am not sure how easy that will be to execute, but based on how tired khamzat has looked in minutes 8-15 of fights, I expect he will be a dead man walking by minutes 20-25. And we know Rob can fight at a decent pace for 25 minutes as he has done so many times.

I think this is either Khamzat R1 or Rob in R4 or 5.

I'm actually quite surprised Khamzat accepted this as a 5 rounder. That is a horrendous fight term for him.

100%, I think that's his most clear path to victory and would be a wise game plan.

sorry but this
rooting for bobby though
Whittaker starts a little slow, Chimaev is a steam rolling to start with and he will have some reach on him. He will move in fast with a flurry and look to take Whittaker down. Lets hope Whittaker is training scrambles and working to get up off his back as quickly as possible.

Part of what makes Chimaev so dangerous is that he keeps a crazy first rd pace. I feel like that drains his cardio so much that Whittaker will absolutely destroy him from the 2nd round on. Sure I can see a first round stoppage. Robs been hurt early on several fights now.

Very good point. Good fighter but far from what I'd call a great fighter.

Yeah, a great fighter would be one that managed to beat Weidman, Rockhold, Jacaré, Kennedy, Machida and Brunson.
...wait!

He doesn't need a stoppage he'll just controll and negate him with grappling stalling

and he'll do that for 3rds vs Whittaker? I'd be mighty impressed

edit: wait, this is for 5 rounds too right? Yeah mighty impressed

Khamzat has faced 2 elite fighters before Rob, in Burns & Usman. Some people expected him to easily butcher & steamroll those 2 (betting odds was like -550 & -275 in Khamzat's favour for those 2 fights). I think Khamzat rightfully got the W in those 2 fights, but they were both very close, competitive fights. Khamzat steamrolls all non-elite fighters. I consider Rob to still be elite (probably on decline but still), so I'd be surprised if Khamzat makes it look easy. I think Khamzat would be WW champ by now if he didn't botch the Nate fight, not hating on him, just don't think it's gonna be easy at all

Back