Keyboard Jockey Attempts Two AR-15 Builds

Added a Sightmark Wraith to an AR10 in 308 yesterday. Need to get it sighted in and ready for those dang hogs that keep destroying things where I deer hunt.

I have a primary arms GLX 2x prism and have really liked it for the year I've had it so far. It will probably go on this second Hodge upper I'm doing for now.

I'm beginning an AR 9mm pistol build. I just got the BCG and it looks funny; no gas tube. I'm guessing this is a "blowback" design. It got me thinking what kind of buffer/spring to keep this cycling reliably. Thoughts?

I'm beginning an AR 9mm pistol build. I just got the BCG and it looks funny; no gas tube. I'm guessing this is a "blowback" design. It got me thinking what kind of buffer/spring to keep this cycling reliably. Thoughts?

Going with a dedicated lower or using a mag insert? The EPC lowers from Aero Precision are really nice.

Going with a dedicated lower or using a mag insert? The EPC lowers from Aero Precision are really nice.

I'll be using a regular AR lower and a Glock Mag block; I've got several Glock mags, so this seems to make sense. The days of legally owning an AR pistol in California are over, so I want something I can quickly throw together for those "freedom state excursions".

This is essentially a range toy, but I still want it working right. Thanks for the link to the 7.5oz buffer, that's heavier than anything I have. This'll get interesting.

I've considered a 9mm build. But I really enjoy the Kriss Vector Carbine so I doubt it would get used much. Keep us posted on your progress.

I've shot quiet a few 9mm pcc's now. Really hoping roller delayed gets more popular. I refuse to spend 3.5k on a sp5 plus whatever I'd do to customize.

I was going to purchase an Angstadt MDP-9 but it's shelved for the time being apparently.

JP just came out with one but it's pretty much designed for comp use, only 14.5" and it's 3k+.

Maybe if they release complete uppers in the future I'd be interested.

I really want a Colt mag roller delayed.

I've considered a 9mm build. But I really enjoy the Kriss Vector Carbine so I doubt it would get used much. Keep us posted on your progress.

I've been out of town for a week. My plans are changing, I was going to build this from a ready lower, but since none of this is California legal, I've decided to finish an 80%, so this is definitely in the works, just on hold for now.

So, unable to be patient, I bastardized my AR300 into this AR9 pistol. I'm using a magazine well block that uses Glock mags. I haven't fired it yet but it seems to chamber, extract, and eject just fine. The magazine in the picture is a PMAG 27 GL9.

ar9.jpg

So, unable to be patient, I bastardized my AR300 into this AR9 pistol. I'm using a magazine well block that uses Glock mags. I haven't fired it yet but it seems to chamber, extract, and eject just fine. The magazine in the picture is a PMAG 27 GL9.

ar9.jpg

Can't wrap my head around that grip. lol

It works surprisingly well.
@astrozician Are pistol braces not allowed in CA? If so, you can always ziptie a CAA stock staddle over the tube.

I don't know if Pistol Braces are banned, but "legal" AR pistols are very difficult to come by as they are not on the handgun roster.

AR 9mm pistol, build 2.0. I'm using a different lower (actually an M16A2 clone from Palmetto). I completely screwed up the Franklin Carbon 50 Polymer lower; but that's another story. After adding the SBA brace and sling hardware, it actually feels pretty well balanced, despite the extended magazine. It has the Burst firing position which actually suits the gun well as it has a Franklin BFS trigger. So please note; not a machine gun and is currently in a "disabled status" in compliance with California law. Please also note that this is intended as a range toy and not a serious self defense weapon.

Note #3, Yes, I know it's missing the mag retention, bolt catch, and trigger guard. Life is a bit hectic, see note #4.

Note #4, after nearly 42 years living in California (minus 4 in the Army), I am moving to Nevada with a house already in escrow. My work is allowing me to work remotely 99.99% of the time.

AR9 2.0.jpg

Back