Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score

UFC NEWS & FEATURES
Khalil Rountree Seeks Five-Round Main Event for Next UFC Appearance
FacebookTwitterReddit0WhatsApp

TRISTEN CRITCHFIELD AUG 13, 2023

In the midst of a four-bout winning streak, Khalil Rountree appears to be in peak form — but he still has greater goals to achieve.

“The Ultimate Fighter 23” alum kept his momentum going at UFC on ESPN 51 with a first-round technical knockout victory over converted heavyweight Chris Daukaus in a featured 205-pound clash at the UFC Apex on Saturday night. Rountree has finished three of his four opponents during his current hot stretch, and now he believes he’s ready to test himself in a main event.

“The reason why I want to fight five rounds is because I want to be ready for a championship fight as soon as possible,” Rountree said at Saturday’s post-fight press conference. “I’m ready for a title, but I have to fight five rounds before I can fully say that.

“I’ve never fought a main event before. Where my mind is and where I’m going, I’m here to fight the best. I’m here to go after it and be a contender. So whoever makes sense in a five-round main event to help either of us get toward that belt, then that’s who it is. I’m not picking and choosing opponents.”

Rountree had something of an uneven beginning to his UFC tenure. He credits coaches Lorenzo Pavlica and John Wood for helping him find consistency later in his career.

“At the beginning of my career, when I first got signed to the UFC, I dealt with a little bit of struggles. Really didn’t know if I belonged in the UFC, all this stuff, I’m just kind of riding the wave,” he said. “My career at the beginning was a bit of a fluke, if I’m being honest. Went through ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ lost, won, didn’t win finals, got granted a contract. It was a lot of ups and downs.

“Both of those guys together have put a lot of belief in me and actually have been with me this whole journey, through my ups and downs, through a lot of different phases of my life. All of that just helps me have so much more confidence and belief in myself, when I have someone like that working with me personally and holding me to a high standard.”

Continue Reading

https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/K...und-Main-Event-for-Next-UFC-Appearance-190744

Why not? Rountree vs Krylov would be a great scrap.

Two usually fun guys who’ve never really been able to put a consistent run together until as of recent.

Murzakonov is another good option

Has he beaten anyone of note to deserve a main event?

Wouldn’t necessarily be a super exciting fight but a top 10 opponent would be fine for an Apex main event. We’ve had worse.

I admit, I didn’t think much of Khalil. But it seems he’s really putting it together these days.

I support his bid for a 5 rnd main event. Give him someone like Anthony Smith.

Has he beaten anyone of note to deserve a main event?

Probably not, but I don't think him or anyone expects a PPV main event. A fight night main would be fine though. Plenty of fighters who don't have any great wins have main evented those.

I mean, who had Luque beaten? His best win is the ghost of Woodley.

Strickland's another great example. Look at him and the opponent's he's main evented against. He himself? His best win is probably Jack Hermannson, who doesn't have any great wins.

Strickland's last two fights have been main events. He Nassouradine and Abus. Neither of those dudes have beaten anyone. Rountree actually has better wins than both of those guys.

I say give it to Rountree just because he's probably the most exciting finisher in MMA. Some of his finishing sequences have just been total brutality. That time his opponent fell to hands and knees and he just soccer kicked the fuck out of his sides. Or when he dropped Roberson, side kicked Roberson full force while Roberson was on his knees, and then tried to death stomp him and missed lol.

Back