Michel Pereira: Sparring Sessions with Sean Strickland Are 'Always Crazy'

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score

Michel Pereira will take a six-bout winning streak into his fight against Michal Oleksiejczuk on Saturday at UFC 299.

The pairing will mark the Brazilian’s second middleweight appearance within the Las Vegas-based promotion.

"The best thing I could do in my life was go up to [185 pounds],” Pereira told Sherdog.com. “Today I’m living and and training much better. At welterweight, I had to lose more than [40 pounds] in two months for every fight. Today is easy.”

Pereira’s opponent, Oleksiejczuk, has won three of his last four Octagon appearances — all by first-round knockout or technical knockout.

"I couldn’t learn how to say his name until [recently],” Pereira said. “This [Polish] guy doesn't kick, [land takedowns] or fight on the ground, but his left hand is really dangerous. I'm totally aware of that, but I think I’m a better boxer than him, and my goal is knock him out. But I’m an MMA fighter. I’m prepared to do what is necessary to get my hand raised. My main goal is to get a place in the middleweight rankings.”

Pereira, who is a black belt in karate and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, is confident that the level of sparring he’s received at Xtreme Couture will propel him to his second middleweight victory.

"Each sparring partner brings you more trouble in a different area, and that makes you evolve as an MMA fighter,” he said. “I’m training with former champions like Jamahal Hill and Sean Strickland and top guys like Chris Curtis and Caio Borralho. By the way, my sparrings with Strickland are always crazy. It’s rare that we don’t knock each other down or leave the sparring [session] bleeding.”

Prior to his last fight, a first-round TKO of Andre Petroski, Pereira entered the cage with Israel’s national flag. While that was in part to show support to some friends from the area, the Brazilian doesn’t plan on making a similar statement at UFC 299.

"I have friends in Palestine and Israel. My fight was seven days after Hamas terrorist attacks and, as a Christian, I decided to pay homage to Israel, but since then me and my family started to be threatened via social media,” he said. “I don’t want to get involved in that anymore.”

This time, Pereira intends to put on a dance show during his entrance.

"I tried to convince UFC to allow my cousin to enter with me dancing, but they didn’t allow it, so I had to cut a cornerman in order to bring my cousin with me,” said Pereira, without offering further details on who was removed from his corner.

Pereira is very popular in Brazil due to his penchant for creating new striking techniques with unusual names such as Revestrés, Ptionation, Canga-Leitão and Mão de Bomba (Bomb Hands). Pereira doesn’t expect to unveil any new techniques this time around, however.

"I created a lot of crazy stuff already. It's time to try to use it to entertain the fans, not create new ones,” he said.

After fighting just once in 2023, “Demolidor” revealed that he will make himself available to compete at UFC 301 in Rio de Janeiro on May 4 if all goes well against Oleksiejczuk.

Are you pumped for UFC 299?

I am indeed but with me that's easy with MMA. Stacked ass card and solid bit of relevance in the matches.

I don't dally in sports other than MMA so Ali could rise from the grave and box and meh...

It's gaming day for me so it will be on the side laptop but ALL IN!

<{JustBleed}>

Last edited:
Yes, Strickland will get the belt back. Either he does, or Izzy gets it back

I think it has been made pretty clear that the UFC and especially Dana, does not like dealing with DDP.

Not that DDP has done anything wrong- it's absolutely his right to refuse quick turnarounds... even more so when he's CHAMP.

But, I think we all know that Dana likes yes-men. I reckon they'll try to make DDP vs Izzy happen, and then if DDP wins then they book him against Strickland in a rematch... with UFC hoping either Izzy or Strickland beats DDP.

Anyone else surprised the odds are so close on this? Michal is a dog but I thought Michel would be like -250 here. Gonna have to throw another bet on him

Yes, Strickland will get the belt back. Either he does, or Izzy gets it back

I think it has been made pretty clear that the UFC and especially Dana, does not like dealing with DDP.

Not that DDP has done anything wrong- it's absolutely his right to refuse quick turnarounds... even more so when he's CHAMP.

But, I think we all know that Dana likes yes-men. I reckon they'll try to make DDP vs Izzy happen, and then if DDP wins then they book him against Strickland in a rematch... with UFC hoping either Izzy or Strickland beats DDP.

Anyone else surprised the odds are so close on this? Michal is a dog but I thought Michel would be like -250 here. Gonna have to throw another bet on him
<{ohyeah}><{ohyeah}><{ohyeah}>

{<redford}

Pereira fights too wild for me to ever bet on as a favorite. I feel like anyone can KO him with his style of fighting.

Plus he’s changing weight classes, he’s had a massive size advantage over just about everyone he fought, dunno how he’ll look at 185,

I wouldn’t take him anywhere close to -200 maybe a bet at -110 for even money.

Sean Strickland is a Bully and a Punk what he did to sneako was unnacceptable

Should never have lost it, pfffft!

Wasn’t he telling Khamzat to chill on sparring soon as Khamzat leaves he’s going all out lol! Shame I used to be a fan of this Bully

Ngannou vs Joshua or Suga vs Chito?
giphy.gif

for sure UFC will do Adesanya vs DDP, prob in Cape Town, later in 2024.
Jo'burg and Pretoria too crazy....Cape Town is a bit safer. LOT of violence and crime in Seth Efrika.

Strickland -- UFC might well book him against whoever is 185lb champ AFTER the Ade/DDP fight. I personally hope they do....Strickland is Box Office these days, the man has a good following and that won't have escaped Dana/Hunter/Sean/Mick's attention. Would love to see DDP vs Strickland II after Dricus makes Adesanya return home empty-handed.

UFC 299 is a really genuinely stacked card. There's some really interesting matchups there. As long as O'Malley loses, I'll be fairly content.

Hope Joshua beats N'Gone-now. He should do, with his experience etc. I think the Fury vs Franny fight was a one-off. Ngannou gases out against Joshua after some early success, including at least one knock-down, but Anthony Joshua secures a convincing victory after grabbing all the later rounds.

Chito Dissolves Suga with a deluge of powerful solvents. O'Malley comes up with a boatload of excuses why he got dissolved and of course his Daddy Dana gives him the instant rematch, due to weirdo Sean having renewed his 'Dana White Privilege' card.

Pereira fights too wild for me to ever bet on as a favorite. I feel like anyone can KO him with his style of fighting.

Plus he’s changing weight classes, he’s had a massive size advantage over just about everyone he fought, dunno how he’ll look at 185,

he looks like he belongs at 185, he is a pretty big MW. He looks better at new weight. He should perform better.

Nah Strickland going to the back of the line. Too many interesting and fun fights at 185 for DDP to be doing rematches already.

Sean Strickland is a Bully and a Punk what he did to sneako was unnacceptable

Should never have lost it, pfffft!

Wasn’t he telling Khamzat to chill on sparring soon as Khamzat leaves he’s going all out lol! Shame I used to be a fan of this Bully

for sure UFC will do Adesanya vs DDP, prob in Cape Town, later in 2024.
Jo'burg and Pretoria too crazy....Cape Town is a bit safer. LOT of violence and crime in Seth Efrika.

Strickland -- UFC might well book him against whoever is 185lb champ AFTER the Ade/DDP fight. I personally hope they do....Strickland is Box Office these days, the man has a good following and that won't have escaped Dana/Hunter/Sean/Mick's attention. Would love to see DDP vs Strickland II after Dricus makes Adesanya return home empty-handed.

UFC 299 is a really genuinely stacked card. There's some really interesting matchups there. As long as O'Malley loses, I'll be fairly content.

Hope Joshua beats N'Gone-now. He should do, with his experience etc. I think the Fury vs Franny fight was a one-off. Ngannou gases out against Joshua after some early success, including at least one knock-down, but Anthony Joshua secures a convincing victory after grabbing all the later rounds.

Chito Dissolves Suga with a deluge of powerful solvents. O'Malley comes up with a boatload of excuses why he got dissolved and of course his Daddy Dana gives him the instant rematch, due to weirdo Sean having renewed his 'Dana White Privilege' card.

he looks like he belongs at 185, he is a pretty big MW. He looks better at new weight. He should perform better.
LFG!!!!

@StonedLemur @helax @Poirierfan
@Kryptt

Back