Mighty mouse thinks Anthony Joshua beats Francis ngannou in mma

Contrary to popular belief, elite boxers would be extremely dangerous in an MMA cage.

It's not out of the realm of possibility, it just comes down to how committed the individual boxer is. These top boxers can afford 3-5 million dollar camps easily, it's not the same.

Folks act like it takes a lifetime of training to get legitimate TDD and a half decent guard in BJJ, if an elite boxer is serious, he will be able to compete.

The conversation always comes down to can they survive low kicks and the grappling? If you can be decent at defending both you will be a championship contender. Elite and semi-elite kickboxers already have the low kicks on lock, so they come right over and dominate in MMA.

We literally saw former NFL player Greg Hardy come into MMA late as all hell with zero background, and he took Volkov to a decision and did pretty decent. The only thing stopping us from seeing the truth is that the pay in MMA is just not high enough for anyone to take a crossover seriously, they would have to be washouts from their respective sport.

For decades it's been said that a strong grappling base is the key to having a successful MMA career, but times are changing. Now we are seeing fighters build their game off of their striking, because you don't need to be a wizard on the ground, you just have to know how to stall rounds and mitigate damage. How many of the UFC champions right now even employ offensive takedowns? MMA rules are designed to favor strikers, it's why every round starts on the feet, and why fighters with a grinding style are penalized for "inactivity". I don't understand how folks can see Greg Hardy do half decent, and you don't think one of the greatest punchers on the planet with unlimited resources couldn't hold his own with the proper training and experience.

I'm not even saying Joshua could beat Ngannou in MMA, but the dismissal of true world class athletes is crazy to me. Boxing is a much harder sport than MMA, the guys at the top have incredible skill and talent. In MMA you can become a champ while having extreme deficiencies in your game, it doesn't work like that in other high level martial arts.
It also helps strikers in the UFC that Dana let most of the wrestlers go.

It depends, will Ngannou try to prove something again and stand with AJ or will he remember this is a sanctioned street fight and go for a takedown immediately.

It's funny how reactionary people are: a professional boxer beats an MMA fighter in boxer, therefore he'd clearly KO him in an MMA fight.

Not only could Francis crush AJ on the ground, but AJ would have major problems even on the feet. Three leg kicks would pretty much immobilize him.

It's funny how reactionary people are: a professional boxer beats an MMA fighter in boxer, therefore he'd clearly KO him in an MMA fight.

Not only could Francis crush AJ on the ground, but AJ would have major problems even on the feet. Three leg kicks would pretty much immobilize him.
Kicks aren't difficult to neutralize. They need space to kick so you only need to crowd them. Smother their work. Joshua would step in with a hook or straight right hand before those leg kicks even took their toll. If Francis was smart he'd time the entry and take Joshua down off of it. Just like Joshua did to him when he walked him into that big counter right hand over-the-top (second knockdown).

Give Joshua a full year to train MMA, endlessly drill nothing but TDD & kick defense, and I have no doubt he'd be the next UFC heavyweight champion. He'd be the most athletic and most dangerous striker in the division's history.

Contrary to popular belief, elite boxers would be extremely dangerous in an MMA cage.

It's not out of the realm of possibility, it just comes down to how committed the individual boxer is. These top boxers can afford 3-5 million dollar camps easily, it's not the same.

Folks act like it takes a lifetime of training to get legitimate TDD and a half decent guard in BJJ, if an elite boxer is serious, he will be able to compete.

The conversation always comes down to can they survive low kicks and the grappling? If you can be decent at defending both you will be a championship contender. Elite and semi-elite kickboxers already have the low kicks on lock, so they come right over and dominate in MMA.

We literally saw former NFL player Greg Hardy come into MMA late as all hell with zero background, and he took Volkov to a decision and did pretty decent. The only thing stopping us from seeing the truth is that the pay in MMA is just not high enough for anyone to take a crossover seriously, they would have to be washouts from their respective sport.

For decades it's been said that a strong grappling base is the key to having a successful MMA career, but times are changing. Now we are seeing fighters build their game off of their striking, because you don't need to be a wizard on the ground, you just have to know how to stall rounds and mitigate damage. How many of the UFC champions right now even employ offensive takedowns? MMA rules are designed to favor strikers, it's why every round starts on the feet, and why fighters with a grinding style are penalized for "inactivity". I don't understand how folks can see Greg Hardy do half decent, and you don't think one of the greatest punchers on the planet with unlimited resources couldn't hold his own with the proper training and experience.

I'm not even saying Joshua could beat Ngannou in MMA, but the dismissal of true world class athletes is crazy to me. Boxing is a much harder sport than MMA, the guys at the top have incredible skill and talent. In MMA you can become a champ while having extreme deficiencies in your game, it doesn't work like that in other high level martial arts.

Well that's what MMA is. The whole idea is that someone could be elite at one aspect and come over and round out their game and be elite overall.

I do think it's highly unlikely that he could beat Francis in his first MMA fight but if he trained for a couple of years seriously and got 5 fights under his belt then it's certainly possible.

Last edited:
Kicks aren't difficult to neutralize. They need space to kick so you only need to crowd them. Smother their work. Joshua would step in with a hook or straight right hand before those leg kicks even took their toll. If Francis was smart he'd time the entry and take Joshua down off of it. Just like Joshua did to him when he walked him into that big counter right hand over-the-top (second knockdown).

Give Joshua a full year to train MMA, endlessly drill nothing but TDD & kick defense, and I have no doubt he'd be the next UFC heavyweight champion. He'd be the most athletic and most dangerous striker in the division's history.

He'd also need to work extensively on get ups and BJJ defence. He can't just be a white belt if he does end up on his back.

He'd also need to work extensively on get ups and BJJ defence. He can't just be a white belt if he does end up on his back.
TDD encompasses scrambling to get back to your feet. There'd be no point in training much submission defense. He won't be able to bridge the gap in a year. The majority of the top heavies have been training BJJ for many years and rolling with high level submission grapplers. He can develop solid TDD and kick defense in such a short amount of time (most of the kickers at HW are terrible anyway).

TDD encompasses scrambling to get back to your feet. There'd be no point in training much submission defense. He won't be able to bridge the gap in a year. The majority of the top heavies have been training BJJ for many years and rolling with high level submission grapplers. He can develop solid TDD and kick defense in such a short amount of time (most of the kickers at HW are terrible anyway).

A year also isn't enough to keep it standing against guys like Blaydes, Almeida, Jones or Aspinall.

Maybe you meant he could be the champion in a good stylistic matchup.

A year also isn't enough to keep it standing against guys like Blaydes, Almeida, Jones or Aspinall.

Maybe you meant he could be the champion in a good stylistic matchup.
How many takedowns do you think Joshua would realistically have to stop? The initial takedown attempt can be stuffed pretty easy. Unless they know how to chain wrestle, or get him on the reshot, he'll likely have chinned them before they've managed several takedown attempts. Let's recall how long Ngannou's fights have lasted on average in the UFC. Most of them have ended in the first round. That's what you could expect from Joshua. Only he'd do it even quicker.

How many takedowns do you think Joshua would realistically have to stop? The initial takedown attempt can be stuffed pretty easy. Unless they know how to chain wrestle, or get him on the reshot, he'll likely have chinned them before they've managed several takedown attempts. Let's recall how long Ngannou's fights have lasted on average in the UFC. Most of them have ended in the first round. That's what you could expect from Joshua. Only he'd do it even quicker.

If it's someone like Almeida then he'd have to stop the initial takedown, then work at separation from the grip while he gets off the cage. Then he's going to immediately reshoot.

People don't immediately shoot on Frank because he's not easy to take down and can grapple a bit.

MM is an extremely smart, analytical guy, but I disagree. If Ngannou tried to fight him as he does normal MMA fighters, possibly. See Sylvia vs Ray Mercer. If Ngannou used any kicks or grappling at all he probably wins. If Anthony could develop enough kick/TDD defense... maybe. I don't know that he could make up that gap in whatever theoretical timeframe though. Anthony's boxing would also have to change for MMA. I get where MM is coming from based on Ngannou's style but I think especially after being KO'd he'd make adjustments.

Also, if Ngannou got rocked in MMA, he has other options.

I agree with MM here:

“Another thing that could have been Francis’ downfall was he had that boxing match with Tyson Fury. So Anthony Joshua got an opportunity to see Francis fight boxing. What he took from the boxing match on Francis vs. Tyson? He probably took, ‘OK, Francis doesn’t move his head. He doesn’t really move his head. He’s not very light on his feet,’ where Tyson Fury, he’s kind of light on his feet and Tyson’s trying to avoid the fight. This time, Anthony Joshua got right to work right off the bat, and that’s usually not a good sign if the other opponent doesn’t respond.”

Back