Pre-fight Discussion UFC 298: Volkanovski vs. Topuria, Sat. Feb. 17, Prelims 6:30pm ET Espn+, Main ppv 10pm ET

Planning to watch

• All of it

• Most of it

• Some of it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight contender Anthony Hernandez is an athlete born with a fighting spirit.

Hernandez (11-2) has finally found his footing in the UFC after treading through choppy waters since appearing on Season 2 of Dana White’s Contender Series. Banking on a four-fight win streak, the 30-year-old, who admitted that he lost sight of the goal in the past, has rediscovered his focus.

Besides that, “Fluffy” credits his two children as the inspiration behind making the Octagon walk for a higher purpose. Occupying the No.15 spot in the middleweight rankings, Hernandez was scheduled to face Ikram Aliskerov on Feb. 17 at UFC 298. Unfortunately, Aliskerov withdrew due to a staph infection and was replaced by Roman Kopylov (12-2). With that, let’s take a look at five defining moments of his career:

Explosive Start​

Hernandez began his professional mixed martial arts journey competing for West Coast FC and Global Knockout. In his first five fights, Hernandez ran through his opponents like a blazing wildfire, scoring five first-round finishes. This included four guillotine-choke submission victories and one knockout triumph.

Triumph Over Allen​

Few fans know that Hernandez has a win over current No.7-ranked middleweight contender Brendan Allen. In a pivotal clash at LFA 32 under the Legacy Fighting Alliance banner, Hernandez claimed the vacant middleweight belt with a lopsided unanimous-decision victory over Allen. “All In” faded late in the fight, allowing Hernandez to pick up the pace and score decisively. With this victory, Hernandez was crowned the LFA middleweight champion.

First UFC Conquest​

UFC Shenzhen hosted a colorful middleweight clash between Hernandez and Ju Yong Park on Aug. 31, 2019. The clash saw “Fluffy” rebound from a Round 2 submission loss to Markus Perez in his UFC debut. Park found his mark in the striking range, precisely with his boxing, forcing Hernandez to resort to takedown attempts. While he was met with resistance, Hernandez persisted and secured a takedown. In the second round, the 30-year-old capitalized on a takedown, transitioning to half guard and sinking in an anaconda choke, clocking the submission victory at 4:39 of Round 2.

Valor Prevails Over Experience​

It takes a combination of skill and valor to eclipse the master of a discipline in their own craft. That was the narrative scripted at UFC 258 when Hernandez defied the odds to submit submission grappling legend Rodolfo Vieira with a guillotine choke at 1:53 of the second round. Hernandez flipped the script and overturned the initial onslaught forced on him where Vieira mounted him and sought submissions.

The submission-heavy approach took a toll on the Brazilian and Hernandez capitalized, pouring in thudding shots only to be saved by the bell. As the second round progressed, “Fluffy” maintained the pressure, forcing a labored takedown attempt from his opponent. Hernandez opted for an anaconda choke but flipped it to an arm-in guillotine, walking away with perhaps one of the biggest bragging rights victories of his career.

First TKO Victory in UFC​

In his most recent Octagon outing, Hernandez toed the line with Edmen Shahbazyan at UFC Fight Night 223 on May 20. Shahbazyan found success with his jab, peppering at will, but Hernandez persevered. The California native had to tough it out and fight through a tight guillotine choke attempt. As the second round progressed, Hernandez found an opening for a takedown and capitalized on that position to land ground-and-pound strikes. By the third round, Hernandez’s momentum surged, swiftly chasing takedowns and unleashing heavy strikes, prompting the referee to halt the fight at the 1:01 mark of the third round.

giphy.gif

Preview: UFC 298 ‘Volkanovski vs. Topuria’​

Volkanovski vs. Topuria​

FacebookTwitterReddit0Email
TOM FEELY FEB 15, 2024 COMMENTS

After a middling start to 2024, the UFC returns with what feels like the first major card of the year, as UFC 298's main card is an excellent five-fight slate. The main event sees Alexander Volkanovski draw what might be the toughest test of his featherweight title reign, as rising contender Ilia Topuria has looked flawless during his charge up the ranks. A middleweight co-main sees Robert Whittaker and Paulo Costa each look to re-establish themselves as title contenders; just past that is welterweight uber-prospect Ian Garry potentially affirming his championship-level upside once again opposite Geoff Neal. A bantamweight fight between Merab Dvalishvili and Henry Cejudo might be the best-matched fight on the card, on top of potentially determining the division's next title challenger; rounding things out is a classic wrestler-versus-striker matchup between surging middleweights Anthony Hernandez and Roman Kopylov, which should be a good time.

UFC Featherweight Championship
Alexander Volkanovski (26-3) vs. Ilia Topuria (14-0)
Odds: Volkanovski (-118), Topuria (-102)

This fight comes at a fascinating point in Volkanovski's career; coming off a disappointing showing in a late-notice spot against lightweight champion Islam Makhachev, Volkanovski suddenly finds himself facing the narrative that he might be getting too old in a young man's game. But Volkanovski's career has done nothing but defy expectations, so why not try to do so once more? Volkanovski came to the UFC in 2016 with a ton of hype out of his native Australia, but it wasn't a guarantee that he'd find success in a major promotion; the Australian scene at the time was quite wrestling-poor, and the recent past was littered with prospects that struggled to make their takedown game work in the transition to the international stage. But Volkanovski was the exception, playing the bully in dominant fashion up until a 2018 fight against Chad Mendes, which at least saw Volkanovski have to stage a comeback in order to find victory. That win marked "The Great" as a contender, but it was his subsequent win over Jose Aldo that established his potential as something truly special; Volkanovski suddenly fought against type and still scored a one-sided victory against one of the best fighters to ever live, neutralizing Aldo with a diverse range striking game that worked to a stunning degree. Volkanovski then wrested the featherweight title from Max Holloway and has since gone on to have a dominant reign; Brian Ortega's lone moment of success - a particularly deep guillotine choke - only served to allow Volkanovski to add to his own legend with a subsequent escape, Chan Sung Jung offered little resistance, and then there was Volkanovski's trilogy with Holloway. Their first two fights were each entertaining Volkanovski wins where both men got their licks in and constantly adapted to the other, but the trilogy fight in 2022 was an astounding statement from Volkanovski, who battered his fellow all-time great from the jump in dominant fashion; there was now no doubt who the better man was, and the only doubt seemingly left was who could challenge Volkanovski. That wound up being Makhachev, as Volkanovski briefly abdicated his duty to the featherweight division to ply his trade up at 155 pounds; their fight a year ago was an all-time classic, with the two essentially fighting to a stalemate that saw Makhachev get the narrow nod. That seemingly set up a rematch at some point down the road, which came faster than anyone would've expected - and, in retrospect, much sooner than it should've. Volkanovski took care of business back at 145 pounds with a title defense against Yair Rodriguezin July, then stepped in on late notice as an injury replacement to take on Makhachev in October; but unfortunately, the second time went much worse than the first, with Makhachev running over Volkanovski in a shade over three minutes. As more and more comes out, between Volkanovski's injuries heading into the fight and the mental issues that seemingly now plague him when he doesn't have a fight booked, taking that Makhachev rematch seems to have been a clear mistake. But if there are any sort of residual issues, now would be a good time for Volkanovski to work those kinks out; challenger Topuria looks like a problem.

Fighting out of Spain and representing Georgia, Topuria has had a shockingly clean rise up the featherweight ranks, to the point that he doesn't come into this fight with a clear weakness. "El Matador" came to the UFC as a late-notice replacement in 2020, at which point he was armed with a simple but effective pressure game; he out-wrestled Youssef Zalal handily in his UFC debut, but his subsequent win overDamon Jackson was the one that really opened some eyes, as he showed off some diverse boxing and impressive bodywork in what turned out to be a quick and brutal shellacking. A pairing against grappling ace Ryan Hall looked like a potential pitfall ahead of time, but Topuria showed off an ability to temper his aggression and once again put away a one-sided victory. From there Topuria suffered the only real adversity of his career; some weight cut issues forced a one-off move up to 155 pounds, which saw Topuria get clipped badly by Jai Herbert, but Topuria once again stormed back for a brutal knockout. He then ran through Bryce Mitchell before a June win over Josh Emmett that saw Topuria put everything together in masterful fashion, dictating range while blasting Emmett with some brutal combinations, then picking up the pace and aggression before salting away the fight with his wrestling late. It was a complete showing that saw Topuria blend things at a championship level, but now the question remains: can he do it against Volkanovski? It's a testament to everything that Topuria has shown that this fight has to be framed in terms of unanswered questions, not clear weaknesses; there are no negatives to be taken from his win over Emmett, just criticisms of Emmett's own limitations. Emmett isn't a range striker, and while Volkanovski has a similarly squat frame, the featherweight champ has shown his own ability to dictate range and read his opponents much like Topuria. And while Emmett is a capable wrestler, he's nowhere near as dogged with it as Volkanovski can be when he needs it; after all, this is a man who hung with Islam Makhachev on the mat just a year ago. The narrative seems to be that this is Topuria's time to unseat a champion just leaving his prime, and that's certainly on the table; Topuria's shown every bit of the ability needed to take the title, it's just a matter of how much benefit of the doubt is afforded to Volkanovski at a time when most mortal featherweights begin to fade. The champion still gets that benefit here; the pick is Volkanovski via decision.

Jump To »
Volkanovski vs. Topuria
Whittaker vs. Costa
Neal vs. Garry
Dvalishvili vs. Cejudo
Hernandez vs. Kopylov
The Prelims

What's you all's thoughts on the co-main? I'm rooting for Whittaker, I always do. Costa is a wild card to me - never quite know what you're gonna get.
I'm as big a fan of Rob as they come and I think he's better than Costa everywhere, but I just worry that he might not hold up if Costa cracks him clean, which he will 100% be trying to do. Closer fight today than I think it would have been even a couple years ago.

Gun to my head? Whittaker by decision.

I'm as big a fan of Rob as they come and I think he's better than Costa everywhere, but I just worry that he might not hold up if Costa cracks him clean, which he will 100% be trying to do. Closer fight today than I think it would have been even a couple years ago.

Gun to my head? Whittaker by decision.
Yeah I picked Whittaker by decision too, and wonder if it's partly because I'm a fan. If Costa gets a few good cracks he could KO Rob or win by decision. This one's my least confident pick on the card. Really feel it could go either way.

Neil Young is one of my favorites. I got to see him way back in '91 with Sonic Youth and Social Distortion on the "Smell the Horse" tour. One of the louder shows I've been to but I think part of that was the venue. It was at a college basketball arena and the acoustics weren't great, especially for bands that play as loud as they did. I was glad they played Powderfinger which is definitely in my top 10 favorite Neil songs.

Man that show must have been amazing. With Sonic Youth and Social Distortion too. All three fantastic artists. I've seen Neil a few times but didn't see that tour. Is that the tour where the live albums are Arc / Weld?

Good guess. I love Neil Young's response to Spuds Mackenzie.
I fucking admire Neil Young, in every way. I loved a ton of artists in my lifelong devotion to music. You know, I have all those huge binders filled with music sheets from hundreds of artists, all completely destroyed by time and use, especially with the time I spent playing on the streets.
Well Neil Young is the only guy for whom I have a dedicated folder/binder, because he wrote so much songs, half of them being gems, and playing them is just bliss. During hard times, the mere idea of going out to play some of his songs in the town center single-handedly allowed those bad periods to just go by. I'm really not prone to fanatism, or having a hero, this kind of thing. But if I have one, it's him.

Neil Young is one of my favorites. I got to see him way back in '91 with Sonic Youth and Social Distortion on the "Smell the Horse" tour. One of the louder shows I've been to but I think part of that was the venue. It was at a college basketball arena and the acoustics weren't great, especially for bands that play as loud as they did. I was glad they played Powderfinger which is definitely in my top 10 favorite Neil songs.

If you haven't listened to Chrome Dreams, a recent compilation of Neil Young songs, which does include Powderfinger, then run ; the choice of songs is awesome in my opinion, one of the few albums I listened to non-stop, lately.

Edit : Powderfinger is weirdly one of the fan favorites, but so few recordings available. I love playing it. I remember some popular music magazine ranked it #1 Neil young Song, can't remember the details.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship cruises into the Honda Center in Anaheim, California, on the heels of news that the UFC and sister company WWE will be posting up in this building frequently the next few years. The beginning of this arrangement is a strong one from the ESPN prelims on up, with plenty of ranked matchups or pairings that promise violence and intensity. Betting lines are all over the map, with favorites ranging from -120 to -1200 or more, but there are still avenues that bettors can pick up a chunk of change. Join the UFC 298 edition of Prime Picks as we stan for an old man, express shock at an ultra-lopsided line and pontificate whether “The Future” is still the future of one division.

Straight Up Cash​

Alexander Volkanovski (-130)

The sample size is tiny regarding data collection, but UFC champions at 35 or above tend not to fare well—in the lighter-weight divisions—in their next championship appearance. Volkanovski has hit the 35-year Mendoza line, and according to fight fans, he has entered the Danger Zone. The Aussie has laughed off all of these concerns and reminds those watching that he has still not tasted defeat at 145 pounds. His losses to Islam Makhachev were for the lightweight strap, while Corey Nelson punted him all those years ago as a welterweight. Father Time is undefeated, but if Volkanovski is to be believed, Father Time may not be his opponent just yet.

Challenger Ilia Topuria is a vicious fighter, attacking every which way he can. He has backed up his 86% finish rate with moments like the brutal drubbings of Damon Jackson and Ryan Hall and his submission of grappling wunderkind Bryce Mitchell. Eight years the champ’s junior, the German-born Georgian who trains mainly on the rainy plain of Spain claims he will blow through Volkanovski without batting an eye. If he approaches the champion the same way he battled Josh Emmett, he will have another thing coming. Volkanovski’s accuracy and shot selection are second to none as the featherweight king, and his ability to throw in takedowns when he feels like it will stifle even the best of strikers.

Topuria swings hard, approaching the fight game by throwing everything at full power while having the cardio reserves to keep up such a pace even after 20 minutes of combat. This aggression might play to a detriment when a sharp counter striker like Volkanovski utilizes his slight reach advantage and stellar timing to get the better of exchanges. “El Matador” cannot stay at a wide distance playing kickboxing, or his lead leg will be chewed up by the meat grinder that is Volkanovski’s low-kick offense. The champion has survived better pure submission grapplers, pure strikers and pure action fighters than Topuria, so it almost seems disrespectful that the betting line has been nearly a pick-‘em on fight week.

Straight Up Pass​

Rinya Nakamura (-1400)

U23 World Wrestling Champion Nakamura is an excellent bantamweight prospect with a style that can make waves even in the talent-stacked 135-pound division. The physical tools back up his skillset, as he celebrates above-average power and has plenty of time to develop even though he turns 29 in March. Nakamura should be able to defeat late replacement Carlos Vera with style points, whether through his wrestling or by deciding to let his hands go. Why pass? No fighter 2-0 in the promotion should be a -1400 favorite against any competitor, short notice or otherwise. At best, Nakamura should be an additive as a multiplier on a parlay.

No reasonable bettor should throw on his moneyline or try to guess whether the Japanese youngster hits a submission (+195) or lands a knockout blow (+125). When drilling down on the lines, it is much fairer to throw down on Nakamura performing a finish of some type at -225. Vera, at 36, comes into the UFC after four straight wins with Fury FC in Texas, and he displayed a quick guillotine choke in his last two outings—both of which took place in 2022. Vera will need to be careful not to give up an easy takedown by throwing a naked kick, although he does have the guillotine choke as a potential threat when Nakamura shoots. A flier of Vera winning by submission is +2000, but bettors should approach this at their peril.

Dog Will Hunt​

Geoff Neal (+188)

It may come several months later than advertised, as Neal had been scheduled to fight Ian Garry in August 2023, but this key welterweight contest is now coming together. While Neal has been out since his tough loss to Shavkat Rakhmonov, a bout he showed success against the storming unbeaten Kazakh, Garry went from Neal to Neil with opponent names and squashed Neil Magny that night. On the 170-pound rankings, Neal is above Magny despite his suffocating loss to the veteran, while Garry ran roughshod over Magny. MMA math aside, this is an extremely dangerous matchup for the undefeated Irishman, as Neal can crack.

When looking back at Neal vs. Rakhmonov, most remember the overwhelming nature of “Nomad” wearing out the Fortis MMA fighter and getting the standing choke at the end. What might be forgotten is that Neal represented his “Handz of Steel” nickname brilliantly, hurting Rakhmonov in a way he had never been damaged. Rakhmonov survived the worst of it and came around, but “The Future” cannot look past Neal in this encounter. The Irishman continues to switch camps as he gets older, which could be a benefit or a burden, as he has hopped from Team KF to Kill Cliff FC to Chute Boxe Diego Lima while burning bridges along the way. The intangibles might play a factor for the favorite, who has been a staple of MMA news gossip due to his trash talk and relationship with his wife. While “The Future” could still be the future, he should not be a -230 favorite against the dangerous Neal, who can rearrange his teeth in a hurry.

An Accumulation Contemplation:​

Volkanovski vs. Topuria Lasts Over 1.5 Rounds (-350)
Mingyang Zhang vs. Brendson Ribeiro Lasts Under 1.5 Rounds (-300)
Andrea Lee vs. Miranda Maverick Starts Round 3 (-400)
Total Odds: +114

We look to three time-based options rather than outright plays for winners and losers to capture this latest parlay and dip it into plus money. These all observe historical performances and situational matchups, like two light heavyweights who will club one another over the head like cavemen. The anchor of this parlay hearkens back to the main event, predicting that neither man will procure a win any earlier than a round and a half in. Volkanovski is a technician but not a quick-strike finisher, and although Topuria is, the champ is defensively sound enough that he will not likely get caught. The likelihood that Topuria lands a high kick a la Makhachev is fairly low, and Volkanovski is tough as nails.

In their combined 31 victories, Zhang and Ribeiro post exactly 31 stoppages. The Chinese competitor has performed all 16 in the first round, while Ribeiro counters with 11 in Round 1 and 12 under 7:30. Their losses tend to be equally speedy: Zhang has an early defeat to Askar Mozharov in the opening minute, among others, while Ribeiro has been downed five times before the midpoint of the second round. With Zhang needing to shake off some rust, having not fought since the middle of 2022, Ribeiro may catch him cleanly before getting his sea legs. On the other hand, Zhang could rush out and blast Ribeiro with a combination of punches and knees. One way or another, this light heavyweight scrap should not last very long.

Kicking off this three-piece with Sam’s Choice Cola is a flyweight pairing that, surprisingly, is not a rematch between Lee and Maverick. At its core, this matchup places a kickboxer against a grappler, but both women have shored up their deficiencies not to be a liability on the feet or mat. For instance, Lee is willing to line up multiple takedowns, and Maverick can throw hands. Both women hold a similar finish rate below 70%, with numerous late stoppages on their ledgers. This parlay is good to go as long as this fight checks into the third round.

I fucking admire Neil Young, in every way. I loved a ton of artists in my lifelong devotion to music. You know, I have all those huge binders filled with music sheets from hundreds of artists, all completely destroyed by time and use, especially with the time I spent playing on the streets.
Well Neil Young is the only guy for whom I have a dedicated folder/binder, because he wrote so much songs, half of them being gems, and playing them is just bliss. During hard times, the mere idea of going out to play some of his songs in the town center single-handedly allowed those bad periods to just go by. I'm really not prone to fanatism, or having a hero, this kind of thing. But if I have one, it's him.
Hey Sasha that's cool knowing you're also a fan of Neil's music. I'd be with you on the street jamming along singing my heart out.

Music and MMA are universal languages. One can be from any culture and appreciate them. My mother was a professional musician. I inherited her love of music and the joy it brings.

For fun let's name ten great Neil 'deep cuts'. Songs that aren't played much on the radio. I'll say The Ocean, Birds, Crime In The City, Razor Love, Bandit, Campaigner, Like An Inca, Piece of Crap, Borrowed Tune and Throw Your Hatred Down. What are ten of your favorites?

What are ten of your favorites?
Man, that's an awesome question that I have to take seriously, so let me take some time to think about it.
That being said, keep in mind that I'm not that old (37) and that the vast majority of radio stations here virtually never play his songs anymore, except for the biggest hits from Harvest.

I'll be back !

Man, that's an awesome question that I have to take seriously, so let me take some time to think about it.
That being said, keep in mind that I'm not that old (37) and that the vast majority of radio stations here virtually never play his songs anymore, except for the biggest hits from Harvest.

I'll be back !
Awesome. Any ten will do!

Awesome. Any ten will do!
Oh and amongst those you mentioned, Razor Love, Birds (everything from After the gold rush, in fact) and Borrowed Tune are some that I hit a special place. Love them.

Back