Media Sean O'Malley sees path to double champ status if Ilia Topuria beats Volkanovski

djzoo-rogan.gif

If Topuria can get past the striking and grappling of Volk there's not a damn thing O'Malley can show that should give Topuria issues. Volk is so much more fundamentally sound than O'Malley is and has much more layers to his angles and movement which Topuria will need an answer for.

Josh Emmett would be the highest ranked guy I could see O'Malley styling on but Emmett isn't becoming champ.... maybe Ortega too.

Ilia said he wants to fight Conor after fighting Volk (assuming he wins)? How about defend the title a few times before moving up to fight a legit champ, and not a bloated MW part time fighter in Conor?

<DisgustingHHH>

Last edited:
If my boy the Top-Man cannot (God Forbid) beat Volk, he should go down in weight and beat SoyClown just out of spite.

When Illia joined the UFC he went to do tests at the Performance Institute and his team worked with the nuttritionist there, exploring which weight he should compete in. Eventually he chose FW because he still wanted to enjoy life simple pleasures and he loves his mom's Khachapuris and Khinkalis and a good paella with his friends. He's bulked a bit since then, but that's very reversible.

soyClown should't provoke the Top-Man. It's unwise.

If Topuria can get past the striking and grappling of Volk there's not a damn thing O'Malley can show that should give Topuria issues. Volk is so much more fundamentally sound than O'Malley is and has much more layers to his angles and movement which Topuria will need an answer for.

Josh Emmett would be the highest ranked guy I could see O'Malley styling on but Emmett isn't becoming champ.... maybe Ortega too.
I think O'Malley could beat Ortega but Ortega might be ranked too highly anyway.

i’ll always appreciate thc poodle for getting aljo sterling off the stage. but no more “champ-champ” fights.
I agree. Love to watch Sean fight, but if UFC doesn't make something like 5 title defences the gold standard, division hopping will only get worse. All the honour and prestige that 2 division champ brings, being eroded to a game of Pokemon.

If he gets past Chito he needs to fight the two more deserving contenders ranked ahead of Chito, Merab and Sandhagen. If he does that then he can talk champ champ fight.

Bantamweight is the last division that should be involved in champ champ fights. There's not even a clear-cut GOAT yet. It's up for grabs and that should be the career aspiration of any champion. 4 title defenses would probably solidify it, definitely 5.

O’malley KO’s Topuria in one. Topuria gets dropped easily. O’malley is far to precise and powerful for short guy like Ilia

If my boy the Top-Man cannot (God Forbid) beat Volk, he should go down in weight and beat SoyClown just out of spite.

When Illia joined the UFC he went to do tests at the Performance Institute and his team worked with the nuttritionist there, exploring which weight he should compete in. Eventually he chose FW because he still wanted to enjoy life simple pleasures and he loves his mom's Khachapuris and Khinkalis and a good paella with his friends. He's bulked a bit since then, but that's very reversible.

soyClown should't provoke the Top-Man. It's unwise.

Are you saying that he was legit thinking about going to BW?

Because if so that is fucking crazy man; Illia had to pull out of UFC 270 because he couldn't make FW and ended up fighting Jai Herbert at LW.

Reminds me a bit of Nathanial Wood moving up from BW to FW, him and Illia have the same heigh and similar builds. To me it's just too harsh a cut and impossible to feel good living at that low a BF% all the time even when not in-camp/cutting weight for a fight.

FW seems to be the right balance to where he has power/stamina that can last and fits his game the best. I'd be worried that at BW the weight-cut would make him like Dillashaw and he wouldn't be able to eat shots (plus he'd probably gas earlier and lose his speed advantage). At LW against Herbert he just looks too small, giving up that much size/reach to very skilled fighters is just not a good idea (if an unranked LW can almost put you out with a head-kick imagine what the top 5 would do to him).

i get he thinks the matchup is better than Volk. he's openly said he won't fight Volk, but i don't get thinking that an Ilia that beats Volk is going to be an easier fight than Volk.

Are you saying that he was legit thinking about going to BW?

Because if so that is fucking crazy man; Illia had to pull out of UFC 270 because he couldn't make FW and ended up fighting Jai Herbert at LW.

Reminds me a bit of Nathanial Wood moving up from BW to FW, him and Illia have the same heigh and similar builds. To me it's just too harsh a cut and impossible to feel good living at that low a BF% all the time even when not in-camp/cutting weight for a fight.

FW seems to be the right balance to where he has power/stamina that can last and fits his game the best. I'd be worried that at BW the weight-cut would make him like Dillashaw and he wouldn't be able to eat shots (plus he'd probably gas earlier and lose his speed advantage). At LW against Herbert he just looks too small, giving up that much size/reach to very skilled fighters is just not a good idea (if an unranked LW can almost put you out with a head-kick imagine what the top 5 would do to him).
Illia moved to FW in 2019 after failing to make BW in his ill-fated Cage Warriors BW title shot against Brian Bouland in Belgium in June 2018. He has bulked since then. He used to look like this.

Now no-one is really thinking in going down in weight. I fact, the plan is going to LW later in his career. My orevious comment ins just joshing.

Back