Media Sean O'Malley sees path to double champ status if Ilia Topuria beats Volkanovski

The only path to double champ should be 5 title defences first.

This, or at the very least having cleared out every rightful contender.

When they have to look towards rematches or a #7 ranked guy or something for a titleshot, thats when the time is ripe for a double champ fight.

I was coming here to say Sean is right and that Ilia is super overrated on here. That said, after taking about 10 seconds to think about it, I kind of agree with you guys.

I forget that Ilia has serviceable wrestling and pretty good BJJ. Good enough to control Bryce Mitchell and good enough to become a thoughtless marauder against Ryan Hall, because he had little respect for his ground game and absolutely none for his striking.

In a pure kickboxing match (which this is not) Sean clowns Ilia. MMA makes it interesting and possibly one sided in Ilias favor. Dudes strong ASF.

I wouldn't say Sean would clown Ilia in a kickboxing match, Ilia has great striking fundamentals. And he can thump. Remember how bad he slumped Jai Herbert? Sean doesn't crack like that. Also keep in mind that fight was at lightweight.

I wouldn't say Sean would clown Ilia in a kickboxing match, Ilia has great striking fundamentals. And he can thump. Remember how bad he slumped Jai Herbert? Sean doesn't crack like that. Also keep in mind that fight was at lightweight.

Yeah I do, that's actually a great fight to look at. That's the fight I always look too when I start getting to hyped on this guy.

He loads up on everything and eats shots to get into range. Sean eats guys like that for breakfast. He's got enough pop to get some respect, but you're right , I don't think the power will carry over enough to hurt Ilia and get a finish. That said comfortable and easy 50-45/49-46 no problem. Sean would pop shot Ilia at range and dance around him all night. Ilia doesn't have the pressure or cage cutting to trap Sean without a grappling threat.

Again this a a kickboxing fight, so who really cares? It will never happen, in MMA Sean should check himself.

Last edited:
Back