Songs with long intros before any vocals

mixmastermo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I really like music that focuses more on the instruments than the vocals. The Cure, Pink Floyd, Tool, Metallica all do this to varying degrees

Any other fans here?

2:30 before any vocals

2 minutes here

Just over 2 minutes on this one

"only" 90 seconds here

I can't say it's something I go out & look for, but I do enjoy most of the long intros I've heard over the years.

Cowboy Junkies doing a Robert Johnson cover

Deep Purple jamming for well over 5 minutes before the words start

And of course Pink Floyd

A lot of Post Metal / Rock does this, can go 5-10 minutes at least without any vocals

Another one by the Cure. Nearly 2 1/2 minutes before the vocals come in

A little over 2 minutes before the vocals

I really like music that focuses more on the instruments than the vocals. The Cure, Pink Floyd, Tool, Metallica all do this to varying degrees

2 minutes here

Tool was the first band I thought of when I read the thread title before clicking. They do it a bunch. Lateralus goes 1:38 before any vocals.

Mars Volta does it a bunch although I don't have any specific songs to name because they're one of the only true album bands out there, when you listen to them, you don't hear definite songs, they all just kind of bleed into each other.

A lot of Post Metal / Rock does this, can go 5-10 minutes at least without any vocals
Yeah, most post-metal is instrumental too. Love that genre. Like Russian Circles and stuff like that.

Obituary - Dying
diSEMBOWELMENT - A Burial At Ornans
Sleep - Dopesmoker (song's an hour long and he starts singing at maybe 15 mins in?)

I can't say it's something I go out & look for, but I do enjoy most of the long intros I've heard over the years.

Deep Purple jamming for well over 5 minutes before the words start

And of course Pink Floyd

My fav band do that long intro a lot

Neil Young starts singing at 3:21 into " Cortez the Killer "

Another one by the Cure. Nearly 2 1/2 minutes before the vocals come in

A little over 2 minutes before the vocals

Thanks for participating and sharing guys, this is all good stuff, I'll be adding the artists I wasn't already familiar with to my playlists. I LOVE discovering great music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blunttruth
Back