Strength vs. Hypertrophy

The FAQ taught me Hypertrophy is a waste of time and you just don’t get the same mileage out of your lifts. One thing I noticed after lifting with the strength philosophy is that I don’t necessarily feel a “pump” after my workout like I did in the past. Does this mean that when you lift with strength principles, your muscles don’t look as ripped but they are more powerful? On top of that, I notice I feel much more tired after a strength workout and almost dread the second session of the week. Maybe I should throw in a body weight session as my third strength workout of the week instead?

It depends on what you want to achieve more, bro.

One of my BJJ coaches is a former bodybuilder & he stopped doing bodybuilding oriented workouts to achieve hyperthrophy because bigger muscles would hurt his jiu jitsu.

It depends on what you want to achieve more, bro.

One of my BJJ coaches is a former bodybuilder & he stopped doing bodybuilding oriented workouts to achieve hyperthrophy because bigger muscles would hurt his jiu jitsu.
I see.

I’d like to lift to enhance my boxing and jiu jitsu work — competing in amateur mma would be awesome — but at the very least lift to continue to box. My secondary goal is to look the part and to fill out my muscles and be ripped.

Doesn't a good strength and hypertrophyprogram help prevent injuries? I'm assuming your tendons get stronger too along with having muscle to help absorb impact and also help out the strain on tendons. Idk howntrue it is but it makes sense in my head and ik I've read people saying that before

~DaViD~

tendons of course adapt to progressive resistance exercise

you cannot escape injuries in sports they occur

you will also experience injury not doing anything choose your poison

granted injury potential is present when lifting very heavy things but these type of people understand the risk and do it anyways because to them it beats the alternative of doing nothing

If you do strength training I assume you are doing low reps with high weight. Strength training produces more lean mass than mass training, it also makes you look more ripped, I don't know why, but you can look it up.

If you do strength training I assume you are doing low reps with high weight. Strength training produces more lean mass than mass training, it also makes you look more ripped, I don't know why, but you can look it up.

So much is wrong with this. How ripped you are depends on the amount of body fat you have.

The idea that strength training is low reps and high weight is silly. I'm aiming for a 230kg squat by June. All my training has been higher reps and lower intensity work and will continue to be until the start of May. Then I'll work with heavier weights to be specific to my goal. That doesn't mean I'm training for hypertrophy now and then switching to strength. If you go from 80kg x 10 to 200kg x 10 without training with a high percentage of your one rep max you'll still be training for strength.

It's interesting to see the debate between strength training and hypertrophy for different goals. While strength training focuses more on neural adaptations and maximizing force production, hypertrophy training emphasizes muscle growth through volume and metabolic stress.

For those interested in hypertrophy training, I found this comprehensive guide on RP Strength that outlines the principles and methods for effective hypertrophy training. It covers everything from rep ranges and sets to exercise selection and progression strategies.

You can check it out here: Complete Hypertrophy Training Guide

It's worth noting that incorporating both strength and hypertrophy training into your routine can lead to well-rounded results, especially for athletes looking to improve their performance in sports like boxing or MMA.

I like to live in the inbetween area. 4-6 reprange. Like 5x5 etc. Like this you get best of both worlds. Strength gain and hypertrophy. This is my current routine for example:

Incline Bench Press5x4-6
Lat Pulldowns 5x6-8
Triceps Pushdowns 4x6-10
Barbell curl 4x4-6
Front Squat 3x5
Reverse peck deck 4x6-10

Overhead press 5x4-6
Pull-ups 5x4-6
Dips 4x6-8
Lateral raises 4x6-10
Dumbbell curl 4x4-6
Trap Bar Deadlift 3x4-6

Finish both days with calf work .
Done 3 times a week and switch between day a and b. Builds full body strength and hypertrophy. If you are combat sports athlete you can lower the sets to 3 or even 2 for most exercises to not overtrain and still make gains.

Last edited:
Why would the body evolve and adapt to look stronger bigger without it being functional ? What would be the evolutionary and survival merit of that ? Like body goes I´m just gonna add muscle mass to burn more calories but it´s not gonna be the best one, but the one that just looks better ? Maybe hypertrophy gives strength endurance ? As opposed to max strenght ? I fail to see why evolution, which is about survival of the fittest, would spend it´s resources and energy on just optics, without it actually making you more ready and athletic. Sounds like a myth.

Last edited:
Why would the body evolve an adapt to look stronger bigger without it being functional ? What would be the evolutionary and survival merit of that ? Like body goes I´m just gonna add muscle mass to burn more calories but it´s not gonna be the best one, but the one that just looks better ? Maybe hypertrophy gives strength endurance ? As opposed ot max strenght ? I fail to see why evolution, which is about survival of the fittest, would spend it´s resources and energy on just optics, without it actually making you more ready and athletic. Sounds like a myth.
Your understanding of muscle is the myth.

Back