The Frode post good kung fu thread.

My teacher from 86-88, performing Qigong i hate even to watch...
fast forward to 2:02, enjoy:

I really like the technique that the instructor is showing here - incidentally, it's functionally pretty identical to a technique used in savate competitions too, the coup de pied bas.

That's a very good channel about Kung Fu.
A really nice fellow visits Asia to meet masters from various arts.
I really like his Taiwanese series of episodes, like this one.

To me kung Fu like Baji are very interesting.
They seem more like civilian defence programs to give an average guy some clever hacks to beat someone in a self defense situation, by teaching him how to hit hard how to take an angle and grab and joint lock his opponent.
Stuff that they could definitely work against an average Joe or a bigger guy that overestimates himself.

Maybe the most impressive Kung Fu practicioner I've seen.

He seems to generate a lot of force with minimal hip movement.

Been enjoying Fight Commentary Breakdown's videos on Baijiquan recently

It seems like the style vs style -> what actually works process started a bit late in China (compared to the West where it started in earnest in 1993), its been underway since Xu Xiaodong started beating the brakes off every grandmaster he could find.

Based on FCB's videos, it seems like the winners of the process from the kung fu styles are Sanda/Sanshou and possibly Baijiquan. It's not perfect but it seems possible to adapt it to an MMA scenario (some guys in his vids are attempting this with mixed success atm, and has very flashy takedowns, which would be neat to see in an MMA setting.

Been enjoying Fight Commentary Breakdown's videos on Baijiquan recently

It seems like the style vs style -> what actually works process started a bit late in China (compared to the West where it started in earnest in 1993), its been underway since Xu Xiaodong started beating the brakes off every grandmaster he could find.

Based on FCB's videos, it seems like the winners of the process from the kung fu styles are Sanda/Sanshou and possibly Baijiquan. It's not perfect but it seems possible to adapt it to an MMA scenario (some guys in his vids are attempting this with mixed success atm, and has very flashy takedowns, which would be neat to see in an MMA setting.

Choy Lee Fut is interesting, suposedly they won many challenge fights in 50s Hong Kong, and in Kung Fu tournaments in Taiwan, also 50s or 60s
They say they are the only Kung Fu style the Thais respected 😄 and say their style is very good vs multiple opponents for the way their strikes are

I think ancient Shuai Jiao had submissions, i think it came from Pankration.. and from China went to Japan and it was called Ju Jitsu
It was the most popular style in ancient China

I think Bajiquan is the kung fu style the Japanese love for some reason

Last edited:
Back