UFC 298 Thoughts and picks (main card only)

CashMoney1991

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hello everyone, haven't posted on here in a bit, been busy. Finally, a good UFC is gonna be on, feels like it's been ages. Not stacked, but I would say an 7.5 out of 10. Here are my picks:
1) Hernandez ko round 2
2) Cejudo by very close decision, I think his striking will make the difference and he can negate Merab's pressure
3) Ian Garry by TKO round 3, expect this one to be a back and forth banger, fight of the night winner imo
4) Whittaker by UD 30-27, I think his range and well rounded striking game will pick Costa apart who had a hard time beating a washed up Rockhold his last fight
5) Volk by UD, 50-45- a win here might put him at FW goat status or at least get him closer to it

I like Volk to win this...Topuria striking defense isn't all that great and tends to overswing. I just rewatched the Bryce fight and there little stretches that Bryce was able to put the paws on him a little bit...Topuria did make some strides in the emmett fight but he still got pretty wild at times.

Hello everyone, haven't posted on here in a bit, been busy. Finally, a good UFC is gonna be on, feels like it's been ages. Not stacked, but I would say an 7.5 out of 10. Here are my picks:
1) Hernandez ko round 2
2) Cejudo by very close decision, I think his striking will make the difference and he can negate Merab's pressure
3) Ian Garry by TKO round 3, expect this one to be a back and forth banger, fight of the night winner imo
4) Whittaker by UD 30-27, I think his range and well rounded striking game will pick Costa apart who had a hard time beating a washed up Rockhold his last fight
5) Volk by UD, 50-45- a win here might put him at FW goat status or at least get him closer to it

1) Hernandez has one finish by KO/TKO since his very first fight 10 years ago, and it was against Edmen Shahazyan after he gassed him and worked him over on the ground. 7/11 of his wins are by Sub, only 2/11 by KO/TKO.

The only time Kopylov has been finished it was by submission, against another top-heavy grappler in Duraev he got decisioned. So would seem that if Hernandez does win it's going to be by decision or submission instead of KO/TKO.

I'll take Fluffly by 3rd round submsision, but I honestly prefer Kopylov's style and will be rooting for him.

2) I think it's a close decision either way, but I expect to see a ton of clinching/reversing position against the fence. Honestly the only thing that would make me happy in this fight is if one guy finishes the other - if it's a close grind-fest they are both ruined as contenders, no one is going to want to see either in a title fight if it's 15 minutes of cage-clinching and failed takedown attempts.

3) Seems reasonable to think Garry could just break him down with kicks and lateral movement since Neal doesn't hit the body ever (pure head-hunter), but Garry's short arms might get him in some trouble (less reach than Neal even though significantly taller). He's been stunned by less dynamic fighters before, so he's gotta be on point throughout, but he's got better fight IQ and diversity of tools so I see him getting at least a decision win unless he gets rocked early.

4) I see Whittaker taking a decision as well, think he'll just use a ton of feints and movement to make it a slow-paced low-output fight where he can pick his spots to blitz. If Costa can actually fight like he used to (confident maniac willing to recklessly push into the pocket) he can give himself a chance to trap Whittaker against the cage and just blitz him with strikes. Whittaker doesn't do well with powerful bullies that can take his shots and keep coming, but I just don't think Costa is that guy anymore (5 years ago against Yoel Romero he was....I'd take THAT version of Costa to win). Even though Whittaker has suspect durability you've gotta think he has the skills to fight more technical and hopefully avoid getting stuck on the cage.

5) I definitely don't see Volk getting a 50-45; I expect Topuria to come out of the fight super-hot and looking to land with huge power, probably has some nerves/jitters because of the moment, Volk fighting way more patient and technical might just give away an early round to get reads and avoid the early blitz, get the timing, etc. If Volk tries to brawl early that is where he could get slept, he probably needs to be willing to fight off the back-foot early and then when Topuria slows down come after him with layered pressure (feints, low kicks, body punches, jabs, etc.). The longer the fight goes the more it favors Volk based on experience/fight IQ/durability, but if he gets pieced up early it could shake his confidence and willingness to take chances/make adaptations. Almost impossible to get a clear read, think we see something like GSP/Hendricks where Topuria does really well early and hurts Volk but he recovers and shows the heart of a champion late to make it a close fight and even steal it late.

5) Hernandez vs Kopylov is close fight. I don't think we will see decision here.
It is either Fluffy by Sub or Roman by (T)KO.
MW really needs new blood and they both fits critieria. Both ceilings are unknown but they are talented.
Biggest critieria might be that Kopylov is short notice opponent.

4) Merab vs Cejudo.
Dvalishvili is eveything (current) Cejudo is and more. Prime for Prime it would be harder but I think Merab will outpoint Henry.
All signs are telling me that either Sandhagen or Merab will end be champion this year.

3) Neal vs Garry.
All I can say is that objectively speaking I don't see it in Ian. He has charisma but all I can see is WW version of Paddy.
LW is much deeper division so it is harder to get ranked there while WW is quite weak/mediocre as of now.
Soooo Garry is for me B level player and Geoff is tier above. If he won't have bad day he will decision the villain.
But he has some hiccups like losing to Neil who is worse than him so you never know.

2) Costa vs Rob
Not gonna lie - Whittaker is on decline. The most interesting question is - is ~80% Reaper enough to defeat Costa?
I think yes but it is closer than we think. Paulo isn't world beater (at best he is #7 in not-so-good MW divison [Izzy, DDP, Sean, Cannonier, Vettori and probably Chimaev are better than him]) and he was never elite while Rob is/was.
Many people are holding his loss to Adesanya but it is evident that he had off night - he was reluctant to throw anything just like Hooker who was frozen against Chandler or Knight against not so good Prachnio or even Izzy against Strickland.
I am not going to be shocked if Paulo will outpoint or even TKO Reaper but safer bet is former MW champion.

1) Volk vs Topuria
This is interesting. My biggest gripe is that.... you can't be at the top too long. You will always end up on decline (unless you are Khabib and retire too early). Every champion will face opponent who even if you know is less skilled will dethrone you - recent example - Izzy vs Strickland. Pressure, mindgames, bad day, recent loss or basically everything might change up result of the fight and a lot of sherdoggers can comprehend this. They expect the same Volk who was king. But it might not be the case this time.
Matador didn't have level of opposition as good as Alex but he was dominating and/or finishing most of them in great fashion.
We might end up in passing of the torch. But more close to the event the more Illia seems lost. He seems to underestimate the most dangerous opponent he had. That doesn't mean that he isn't good anywhere.

My bets :
Kopylov by TKO round 2
Merab by decision
Neal via decision
Whittaker via decision
Topuria via KO round 2

but every fight is very close and could go either way. Wish everybody a good event.

1708213810514.png

LET'S FUCKING GOOOO!

Back