Volkanovski Targets Topuria Rematch in Spain: 'I’m Going to Get That Belt Back'

Please rest and eat steak.

Chanel your inner Brian Ortega. Hang out and get future title shots. But for now rest and recover. Or do a travel show and get paid for something other than fighting.

See you next year Volkanovski

He'll rush back I just know it.

I know it, too. 2 years ago I was talking about how I thought volk was the smartest fighter with his prep and in cage adjustments, but man, he's been spiraling down with his decision making lately. He needs to someone to have an intervention with him. I get he's worried about running out of time, but seriously, I'd rather him a few months older and healthy than a few months younger and compromised.

I know it, too. 2 years ago I was talking about how I thought volk was the smartest fighter with his prep and in cage adjustments, but man, he's been spiraling down with his decision making lately. He needs to someone to have an intervention with him.
It's a two way street, he also must know that the longer he waits, the older and slower and further away from his best he'll start to Drift. If he wants to fight at the highest level, he knows he has to do it soon.

Which is why many encourage him to retire, because he should be taking 9 months to a year off, but at 35 years of age in the FW division it's career suicide, or atleast killing your title aspirations.

It's a two way street, he also must know that the longer he waits, the older and slower and further away from his best he'll start to Drift. If he wants to fight at the highest level, he knows he has to do it soon.

Which is why many encourage him to retire, because he should be taking 9 months to a year off, but at 35 years of age in the FW division it's career suicide, or atleast killing your title aspirations.

Yeah, I just edited it in my last post, but personally, I'd rather him a few months older and healthy as opposed to a few months younger and compromised.

I don't know how much he's planning on fighting, but I think he should only come back for 2-3 fights at most then call it a career. My ideal path for volk right now would be to come back around December or january, fight a guy like Evloev or sterling if sterling beats Kattar -- guys who are respectable/legit opponents, but guys that can't crack and egg with their punches. I'd favor even an old chinny volk over pillowfisted wrestliers. Get that win, get some mojo back, then challenge for the belt one last time before calling it a career.

Volk is just going to get slower. I hope the UFC doesn't keep FW on hold while they wait for Volk to be ready for a rematch...

He deserves a rematch because of his resume, the lack of a clear #1 contender, and how many times he has stepped up. I think he gets beat the same type of way. Too old and Topuria is simply better.

ZjX4Fb5.png
200.gif

Don't want an immediate rematch as much as I admire Volk. It was conclusive and in now way questionable. Get 1-2 back and if it's meant to be it will happen. Volk is more than eligible in my book due to work in grade. I'm just a bit burnt on same to same on every big match. It won't matter if it happens though I'll be glued to the screen enjoying 2 top tier scrappers.

I'd back Ilia again quite likely.

7fe58ba2d13dd93f2f5fab8990de6477

I think he needs to take some time off and just relax, mentally and physically. He's been knocked out twice in a row and like they say once it happens you are more likely to get KO'd again. I'd personally love to see Holloway fight Topuria next

Bad move for Volk
they should do the rematch in Atlanta Georgia, for all the Georgians !

the last couple fights he’s seemed to lost a lot of his relentless non stop pace, that made him a champ

i don’t see him winning a hematch

giphy.gif

Worse decision now is to go for an immediate rematch

Being ktfo 2 twice in 4 months time is insane

Man, this will get sad. MMA Guru made a nice video today on how we can't let Volk turn into El Cucuy. Is there anyone other than Volk who thinks this good business?

It's strange because it's Volk, people are acting like a little bit of rest and his chin will be good as new. When other guys were getting KO'd later in their career, no one ever said some rest and it will change everything. I feel like the only honest way to assess Volk's situation is to assume it's shot at this point. He needs to rework his style to more defensive. To be real, asking to rework his style and take out Topuria is a monumentous task. He honestly needs someone similar at lower ranks to get used to it first. It's only fair to give Volk a rematch but at this point it seems pointless.

Back