Watching live sumo

winterbike

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hey fellas!

Looks like I'll be hitting Japan next Fall (just bought the tickets) and I'll be in Fukuoka for the November basho. Has anyone here ever gone? Are the tickets hard to get? Any tips or stories?

I'm sad I missed Hakuho, but it'll still be a kickass experience.

Hey fellas!

Looks like I'll be hitting Japan next Fall (just bought the tickets) and I'll be in Fukuoka for the November basho. Has anyone here ever gone? Are the tickets hard to get? Any tips or stories?

I went to a Basho in Tokyo. Tickets are easy to get.

You can buy the tickets at a convenience store at one of the ticket kiosks.

If you can’t figure it out, ask one of the employees, and they’ll help you. Drop a little bit of extra cash and get good seats.

I love Fukuoka. I’ve been there a few times.

Tickets are sold at general ticket stores, where you also buy tickets for busses, concerts and etc.

Quite easy and cheap, besides the seats nearby the arena, which were starting at ¥50,000, but come with drinks and food.

Pay attention to the divisions starting hours, to avoid the beginners, even though, when you are a sumo follower, you will be more interested in the up and coming ones(*).

Sumo tournaments are a all day experience, that you can enjoy with friends, while having lunch/snacks and beer.

*Over the years, I had the opportunity to watch some beginners with amazing feel for the sport (in all grappling disciplines), great athleticism, speed, strength, tearing up through the divisions...before life happens.

Hey fellas!

Went to one in Tokyo about 5 years ago. Would recommend. A friend of ours is local so he got the tickets for us. We didn't go for the whole day, just the last 2 or so hours because we wanted to do thee sightseeing thing... Tip for those going to Tokyo, the Edo Museum next door is a awesome visit.

Tickets shouldn't be so hard to get. We went on a weekday though, so I'm not sure if that has any bearing on it. We just got mid tier seats and the sightline was fine. Apart from potentially sound, I don't think we needed to get the near ringside cushioned seats but you get what you spend.

The matches do roll through though, so if you want to go to the concession stand, maybe do it earlier before the top tieer matches. It's like darts, the matches roll through so quick and there's no gap in between matches that if you don't want to miss any of the action, you have to stay in your seat the whole time

Back