International Hamas launches surprise attack on Israel; Israel has declared a state of war. Vol. VII

Israel recovers the bodies of three hostages taken at Oct. 7 music festival​

73733241007-idf-photo.jpg

Bodies of Yitzhak Gelernter, 57, Amit Buskila, 28, and Shani Louk, 23, were recovered by the IDF from Gaza.

"Following their return, an estimated 129 hostages remain in captivity in Gaza, based on figures from the Israel's Government Press Office. At least 37 of them are presumed dead, Israel officials have said. The Biden administration has said five Americans are among the remaining hostages.

"Just horrible news. Our hearts go out to the families who are having to deal with this terrible news," said John Kirby, a White House spokesman. Kirby said the U.S. does not have any new information on the status of the five American hostages.

The Biden administration has for weeks been working to secure a temporary cease-fire agreement between Israel and Hamas that includes the release of hostages. "It's difficult to see how this grim news today is going to have a major effect on the hostage-deal negotiations," Kirby said."

Benny Gantz: We either figure out what the fuck we're doing or I quit.

Benjamin Netanyahu: No we don't need to do that! Knowing what the fuck we're doing means Hamas win somehow!

Last edited:
Yes there have been other statisticians that have debunked Wyner's results. I could PM you some if you want.

I'll engage with you because I think you'll be fair and can look at things somewhat objectively. Even though I know Wyner is a biased actor with an agenda, I'll pretend he's not.

The fundamental premise of Wyner's analysis is based on two things:

1. On the days with many women casualties, that should coincide with the days with a lot of child casualties. Because he's making the assumption most of the time children are with women. But his data set doesn't supposedly coincide with that according to him.

2. The amount of increasing deaths reported is "too linear." The line is too straight on the graph basically. He says “an extremely regular increase in casualties over the period” and from which he concludes that “this regularity is almost surely not real.” There would be much more variations in real life, especially a war zone. This is the MAIN crux of his argument.

So he concludes: THEY MUST BE LYING.

He gave this graph as the example of how this isn't a natural increase in deaths.

Graph.jpg

The fundamental problem with this graph is that he MANIPULATED the data to take into account cumulative deaths to make it look linear.

When you graph the INDIVIDUAL deaths day by day in the exact same time period, the graph looks like this. NOT LINEAR AT ALL.

Graph-2.jpg

1. He manipulated the graph to make it look like the numbers were linear when they weren't at all.

2. The data Wyner used was from October 26, 2023 until November 10, 2023. That’s 16 days. This conflict has been going on for almost 6 months.

You have to ask yourself: Why would a PhD economist even attempt to perform such a statistical analysis based on only 16 days?

3. These numbers are documented deaths. I.e., the body was brought to a hospital/medical facility, the cause of death was established, and the person was identified (which includes not only the name but also the ID number).

A record is considered incomplete if identity number, full name, date of birth, or date of death is missing. Only after all this info is gathered are these confirmed numbers reported.

Well almost all healthcare data is aggregated in set time periods— once a week, every 3 days, or month etc. it’s too difficult for healthcare facilities to report out daily given the nature of their work, staffing constraints, recording time, time it takes to transfer the data, etc. Health min likely receiving data once every x amount of days.

Basically, you can only count so fast. And in the middle of a war, it's hard to hire more bean counters sometimes. So even if there is some linear increase in deaths, that just indicated when the deaths were RECORDED and not when they actually died.

4. Historically — in conflicts in 2008, 2014, and 2021 — the health ministry’s fatality numbers closely matched death tolls resulting from independent research by United Nations humanitarian agencies.

5. There's no rule that women deaths have to coincide with child deaths 1:1. Children can range from 0-17 years of age. Why does a teenager have to be with a woman? That argument doesn't even make much sense.

So basically Wyner cherrypicked a tiny sample size and manipulated it to look linear when it wasn't. He's full of shit.

I am happy to read anything you want to post here as a counterpoint. I don't see a reason to PM me the article when you can just post it here for an open discussion of it.

Hamas have made it a habit of manipulating the Western audience so I am skeptical of those pretending that Hamas data is legitimate or accurate.

Is this the one you meant or is there another?

He makes some reasonable points however I could not locate his educational background. Maybe you'll have better luck than me. His work has little to do with math so while what he says could be plausible, taking the word of someone with a basket-weaving degree vs masters/PhD in math would be different.

"

UN says total number of deaths in Gaza remains unchanged after controversy over revised data
By Abeer Salman, Richard Roth, Jeremy Diamond and Sugam Pokharel, CNN​

2:12 AM EDT, Tue May 14, 2024

The United Nations on Monday clarified that the overall number of fatalities in Gaza tallied by the Ministry of Health in Gaza remains unchanged, at more than 35,000, since the war broke out between Israel and Hamas on October 7.
The clarification comes after the UN humanitarian agency OCHA (United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs) published a report on May 8 with revised data regarding the number of Palestinian casualties in the war. The UN agency in its report reduced the number of women and children believed to have been killed in the war by nearly half.

The number was reduced because the UN says it is now relying on the number of deceased women and children whose names and other identifying details have been fully documented, rather than the total number of women and children killed. The ministry says bodies that arrive at hospitals get counted in the overall death count.

UN spokesperson Farhan Haq told a daily briefing at the UN that the health ministry in Gaza recently published two separate death tolls – an overall death toll and a total number of identified fatalities. In the UN report, only the total number of fatalities whose identities (such as name and date of birth) have been documented was published, leading to confusion."

I am happy to read anything you want to post here as a counterpoint. I don't see a reason to PM me the article when you can just post it here for an open discussion of it.

Hamas have made it a habit of manipulating the Western audience so I am skeptical of those pretending that Hamas data is legitimate or accurate.

Is this the one you meant or is there another?

He makes some reasonable points however I could not locate his educational background. Maybe you'll have better luck than me. His work has little to do with math so while what he says could be plausible, taking the word of someone with a basket-weaving degree vs masters/PhD in math would be different.

"

UN says total number of deaths in Gaza remains unchanged after controversy over revised data

By Abeer Salman, Richard Roth, Jeremy Diamond and Sugam Pokharel, CNN​

2:12 AM EDT, Tue May 14, 2024

The United Nations on Monday clarified that the overall number of fatalities in Gaza tallied by the Ministry of Health in Gaza remains unchanged, at more than 35,000, since the war broke out between Israel and Hamas on October 7.
The clarification comes after the UN humanitarian agency OCHA (United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs) published a report on May 8 with revised data regarding the number of Palestinian casualties in the war. The UN agency in its report reduced the number of women and children believed to have been killed in the war by nearly half.

The number was reduced because the UN says it is now relying on the number of deceased women and children whose names and other identifying details have been fully documented, rather than the total number of women and children killed. The ministry says bodies that arrive at hospitals get counted in the overall death count.

UN spokesperson Farhan Haq told a daily briefing at the UN that the health ministry in Gaza recently published two separate death tolls – an overall death toll and a total number of identified fatalities. In the UN report, only the total number of fatalities whose identities (such as name and date of birth) have been documented was published, leading to confusion."

Nope this isn't my source. First time reading this that you just posted.

I looked at three different sources. I also checked the sources for bias at Media Factcheck Bias and also looked up the authors.

One by Johns Hopkins scholars in the Lancet, which is a peer reviewed medical and academic journal that MediaFactCheckBias rates as PRO-SCIENCE under Bias Rating, VERY HIGH under Factual reporting and HIGH CREDIBILITY under MBFC Credibility Rating.

I would also like to point out Wysner's article was published on the Tablet magazine which media fact check rates as right-center based and favors the pro-Israel nationalist right.

No evidence of inflated mortality reporting from the Gaza Ministry of Health

Then there's another study by the London School, also published in the Lancet.

Excess mortality in Gaza: Oct 7–26, 2023

And finally, I looked at this analysis of Wyner's findings by a Cal Tech Professor of Computational Biology and Computing and Mathematical Sciences, Lion Pachter - doctorate of Mathematics from MIT and also happens to be an Israeli born Jew.

Analysis of Wysner's article below.

Now I don't want to toot my own horn here as I majored in computer engineering and took courses in Ordinary Differential Equations and Discrete Mathematics, but goddamn is that an unnaturally looking linear graph for war casualties if I've ever seen one.

Yea I'm sure a self reported math genius named Chad Thundercock on a karate forum is more knowledgeable than an MIT Mathematics doctorate and Cal Tech professor. :rolleyes:

Waiting with bated breathe for you to poke holes with your vast mathematical acumen.

Last edited:
Zionists: "Stop making crazy claims that the IDF mistakenly inflicted some level of civilian casualties. Listen to the Oct. 7 survivors."

Oct 7 survivors: "A 10-year-old Khamas super soldier killed dozens of people without breaking a sweat."

I know this thread has been basically amounted to a lot of back-and-forth about the morality, the right/wrong, and the history of the crisis - and that detracts from discussing what the actual available solutions are right now - but it's time that all efforts were put into the current situation and circumstances, not any of the coulda woulda shoulda, who did what, who started such and such, or the wider blame game...

... but how do Israel and Palestine actually move forward right now.

If people in government aren't taking that aspect seriously, they simply do not belong in power.

Huge respect to Gantz for just not accepting perpetual war and misery.

Nope this isn't my source. First time reading this that you just posted.

I looked at three different sources. I also checked the sources for bias at Media Factcheck Bias and also looked up the authors.

One by Johns Hopkins scholars in the Lancet, which is a peer reviewed medical and academic journal that MediaFactCheckBias rates as PRO-SCIENCE under Bias Rating, VERY HIGH under Factual reporting and HIGH CREDIBILITY under MBFC Credibility Rating.

I would also like to point out Wysner's article was published on the Tablet magazine which media fact check rates as right-center based and favors the pro-Israel nationalist right.

No evidence of inflated mortality reporting from the Gaza Ministry of Health

Then there's another study by the London School, also published in the Lancet.

Excess mortality in Gaza: Oct 7–26, 2023

And finally, I looked at this analysis of Wyner's findings by a Cal Tech Professor of Computational Biology and Computing and Mathematical Sciences, Lion Pachter - doctorate of Mathematics from MIT and also happens to be an Israeli born Jew.

Analysis of Wysner's article below.

Yea I'm sure a self reported math genius named Chad Thundercock on a karate forum is more knowledgeable than an MIT Mathematics doctorate and Cal Tech professor. :rolleyes:

Waiting with bated breathe for you to poke holes with your vast mathematical acumen.

The Lancet is an extremely well respected journal but unfortunately they have taken a political position during the war publishing effectively op-eds about the conflict calling it a genocide. Just this week, they ran an editorial by Al-Shifa’s hospital director, who is almost certainly affiliated with Hamas.
The authors’ argument supporting Hamas’ numbers is based on believing UNRWA to being an unbiased and reliable organization.

Lior’s criticisms seem the most compelling as his conclusions are that graphing of cumulative quantities will always appear linear, not the claim that Wyner altered the data in order to appear linear in this graph like you claimed, but rather linearty is built in and does not lend creedence to supporting a claim of artificial appearance.

Why couldn’t you just post this and save us from grappling with your cut up interpretations of these pieces? Copying and pasting from an article that you didn’t understand without citation is not wise.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on UN having to reduce number of claimed women/child casualties by nearly 50%? We're talking about inaccurate data, whether intentional or fog of war, and here we have a clear cut admission of such....nearly 50% is a huge discrepancy to say the least....

"The clarification comes after the UN humanitarian agency OCHA (United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs) published a report on May 8 with revised data regarding the number of Palestinian casualties in the war. The UN agency in its report reduced the number of women and children believed to have been killed in the war by nearly half."

Back