Competetive submission grappling/BJJ without needing surgery at some point. Is it possible?

Nice Post, thanks for the insight

Thanks and I hope it didn't come off like I was handling junior blues. Anything outside of standing or me on top in a dominant position (usually after a throw but sometimes after I passed guard) and I was getting caught frequently. Sometimes even on top all I could do was hang on and gas them with wrestling and Judo pin pressure. Well that and when some of them believed Judo guys couldn't defend double legs...

Some of the less basic guards (DLR for instance) that I never experienced in Judo puzzled the fuck out of me, and leg locks might have been a foreign language.

I was happy I could bring something new to the club while starting my own BJJ journey.

Moral of the story: do BJJ at BJJ, throwing WBs and some blues is a dick move...but sometimes one decides to try that Osoto they saw on YouTube and your instincts kick in and you counter with your own very favorite Osoto...then you're desperately trying to ease the impact on the way down, lol.

Thanks and I hope it didn't come off like I was handling junior blues. Anything outside of standing or me on top in a dominant position (usually after a throw but sometimes after I passed guard) and I was getting caught frequently. Sometimes even on top all I could do was hang on and gas them with wrestling and Judo pin pressure. Well that and when some of them believed Judo guys couldn't defend double legs...

Some of the less basic guards (DLR for instance) that I never experienced in Judo puzzled the fuck out of me, and leg locks might have been a foreign language.

I was happy I could bring something new to the club while starting my own BJJ journey.

Moral of the story: do BJJ at BJJ, throwing WBs and some blues is a dick move...but sometimes one decides to try that Osoto they saw on YouTube and your instincts kick in and you counter with your own very favorite Osoto...then you're desperately trying to ease the impact on the way down, lol.

No your posts make sense
I am currently a judoka, much bigger and stronger than the vast majority of the bjj club I sometimes attend

I too have a strong top game and I think I bring something different to training. I'm very a respectful training partner and would only throw anyone who told me that it Is OK

I mostly just do the groundwork and don't do much standing. The head professor is a former wrestler so he loves to stand with me and kick my ass

I might start taking real bjj classes soon too, as I do enjoy the Ground game and my newaza is definitely my strong point in Judo

I just wished they had some of the old rules in Judo and allow more time on the ground

No your posts make sense
I am currently a judoka, much bigger and stronger than the vast majority of the bjj club I sometimes attend

I too have a strong top game and I think I bring something different to training. I'm very a respectful training partner and would only throw anyone who told me that it Is OK

I mostly just do the groundwork and don't do much standing. The head professor is a former wrestler so he loves to stand with me and kick my ass

I might start taking real bjj classes soon too, as I do enjoy the Ground game and my newaza is definitely my strong point in Judo

I just wished they had some of the old rules in Judo and allow more time on the ground

My last Judo club in San Diego still allowed leg grabs so that was fun to catch some of the more senior guys who started after the ban. (I'm active duty military, I train when and where I can, so yeah there are guys who started after me with their black belts while I'm still rocking the brown anywhere outside of my first Coach's club..club ranked Shodan there)

Last Olympics I watched the amount of time allowed on the ground when working was better than in years prior, but with the talent at that level being what it is, they're good at forcing a stalemate.

I will say BJJ hurts less. Ukemi is my best technique but 200lbs flung to the earth is still 200lbs, I don't care how good your breakfalls are and I'm only getting older.

My last Judo club in San Diego still allowed leg grabs so that was fun to catch some of the more senior guys who started after the ban. (I'm active duty military, I train when and where I can, so yeah there are guys who started after me with their black belts while I'm still rocking the brown anywhere outside of my first Coach's club..club ranked Shodan there)

Last Olympics I watched the amount of time allowed on the ground when working was better than in years prior, but with the talent at that level being what it is, they're good at forcing a stalemate.

I will say BJJ hurts less. Ukemi is my best technique but 200lbs flung to the earth is still 200lbs, I don't care how good your breakfalls are and I'm only getting older.

I 💯 get you man
I'm a hobbyist who is only doing Judo 2 years now and I rarely train it more than 4 hours per week

Being a big guy, falls hurt a little. Getting up sometimes is harder

How is the Shodan requirements in the stats?

I'm from the North of Ireland which is part if the UK. You require 100 points for the belt, then past a technical side. I know the 100 points is similar in most countries, where you get 10 points for Ippon

There are a number of comps, but they do set up gradings, where brown belts can fight others with similar rank to gain points. I think if you win a line up of 3 guys then you are awarded the 100 points

There is technical route where you gain 20 points per year, then do a much more thorough technical grading. But everyone in my club has gone down the competition route.

Back