Is Alex Pereira the least deserving black belt ever?

Why would Alex ever "look" like a BB in his fights? Are you expecting him to go for an omaplata or something? If he's on the ground his goals are as follows:

1. get back to his feet
2. mitigate damage until he can get back to his feet
3. end the fight with a submission

The reason you see more high level grappling from actual grapplers than strikers is because they're focused on two completely different styles of fighting. The grappler wants to grapple, the striker doesn't.

Put them in grappling only matches and they'll show their skills.
Izzy was dominating him on the ground ….that was a few fights ago , but Izzy doesn’t dominate a real blackbelt imo

Just to set the record straight.

Wanderlei had a great ground game.

When did he ever get submitted?

I mean he hung in there with Arona for fuckssake. Hung in there with Yoshida.

There's more to grappling than just submissions and offense.

Wandy had very, very good defense.

Great example. And Wand had 1 sub win over that Dutch kickboxer in early Pride. Almost had Bisping out with a guilly. His TDD wasn't the greatest but never got finished on the ground. For strikers like Pereira they shouldn't try to do BJJ in a fight anyway they should just learn to defend everything so they don't get fucked up there

Great example. And Wand had 1 sub win over that Dutch kickboxer in early Pride. Almost had Bisping out with a guilly. His TDD wasn't the greatest but never got finished on the ground. For strikers like Pereira they shouldn't try to do BJJ in a fight anyway they should just learn to defend everything so they don't get fucked up there

Precisely.

Dirty Bob wasn't it?
Good memory on the bisping guillotine.

All Pereira truly needs is TDD, how to stall things out and escape on the ground.

I do think a lot of pure strikers should work on their standing guillotine. Not even to just finish but to threaten and make their opponent be a little more nervous about shooting. (But not be a poirier and pull guard)

Overeem had a disgusting guillotine for example.

Izzy was dominating him on the ground ….that was a few fights ago , but Izzy doesn’t dominate a real blackbelt imo
So a year before this...? Where he went 1/4 on TDs and had a total of 3:47 in control time...?

Also what makes you think Izzy is a bad grappler? Andre Galvao gave him his purple belt 3 years before that fight, and Galvao's one of the BJJ GOATs. The only time Izzy's ever been outgrappled was against Jan who outsized him and is a BJJ BB himself. And it took for the 4th round for that to happen.

More importantly though, as I was saying in my original post, what exactly do you want to see from Pereira in that situation? He was fighting a guy he'd already beaten 2x in kickboxing. Of course he's not focused on grappling Izzy and this time around shockingly subbing him. He wants the fight back on the feet where he can beat him again... as he wound up doing.

BJJ BB GOAT Chael P Sonnen mollywhooped Wand on the ground.

Yes. Even less deserving of his fake black belt than JDS. "BuT hE gOt iT FrOm gLoVeR", yeah and Glovers not a real black belt either. A real black belt has to actually have a guard and not just a top game/RNC. Charles Oliveira = real black belt. Fabricio Werdum = real blackbelt. Pereira = white belt.

Rolles claimed it was a no-gi blackbelt and the main reason for it was Rashad Evans at the time had verbalized that he was interested in possibly competing in the no-gi portion of IBJJF (no-gi portion was brand new at the time) and Rolles didn't want Evans competing in anything except the highest competitive bracket.

100%. Love when a weekend warrior who barely trains 3x a week gets a BB it's no questions asked but if some high level pro who trains 3x a day (Vitor, Rashad, Alex, Wandy) gets one he's not deserving. Yeah, a high-level pro training with Glover is just making stuff up to look tough and cool.

Yeah that's why I posted earlier that BJJ isn't about scissoring your homoerotic training partner trying to grab heelhooks, especially in Brazil. It's about fighting. Dominant position. Distance management. Surviving bad positions to escape and reverse.

Not to mention there are levels to black belt. Glover giving Alex a black belt doesn't mean Glover and Alex are equal on the mats or in the cage (obviously), but denotes that Alex has reached a level of expertise in the principles of BJJ that a black belt demonstrates. This decision was likely made weeks or months ago and Glover waited to do it ceremoniously after a UFC W.

Additionally, guys Alex's size BJJ games look different than guys the size of, say, Charles.

All you talentless fucks bringing up guys like fabricio crack me up. Fabricio is a multiple gold medal winner at both ADCC and Pan-Am's. You can be probably 25% as good as Fabricio and still be black belt level. You quacks have no fuckin' clue what you're looking at or talking about.

Yeah that's why I posted earlier that BJJ isn't about scissoring your homoerotic training partner trying to grab heelhooks, especially in Brazil. It's about fighting. Dominant position. Distance management. Surviving bad positions to escape and reverse.

Not to mention there are levels to black belt. Glover giving Alex a black belt doesn't mean Glover and Alex are equal on the mats or in the cage (obviously), but denotes that Alex has reached a level of expertise in the principles of BJJ that a black belt demonstrates. This decision was likely made weeks or months ago and Glover waited to do it ceremoniously after a UFC W.

Additionally, guys Alex's size BJJ games look different than guys the size of, say, Charles.

All you talentless fucks bringing up guys like fabricio crack me up. Fabricio is a multiple gold medal winner at both ADCC and Pan-Am's. You can be probably 25% as good as Fabricio and still be black belt level. You quacks have no fuckin' clue what you're looking at or talking about.

You can probably be 10% as good as Werdum or even less and still be a black belt. There's levels to this shit.
I've seen high level blue belts from serious gyms tool black belts from so so gyms. I've seen black belts destroy other blackbelts like if they were white belts...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jahmaltheknight
Back